[1.12] FreeIva

JonnyOThan

16 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

Nice!
With BDB, can I leave it as is once I update freeiva? I want to try out the rest of the update but I don't want to take risks manually replacing files and would rather wait for full support down the line.

You can choose to just not install the BDB parts.  Or else I would suggest making a backup of the bdb directory or zip file so that you can restore it in case the FreeIVA stuff messes something up.  If you installed bdb through ckan then it will have already cached the zip and you can just reinstall it through ckan if you want to go back.

7 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

You can choose to just not install the BDB parts.  Or else I would suggest making a backup of the bdb directory or zip file so that you can restore it in case the FreeIVA stuff messes something up.  If you installed bdb through ckan then it will have already cached the zip and you can just reinstall it through ckan if you want to go back.

I'll just leave the BDB freeiva stuff alone for now. I can wait for the full release for those. You guys do awesome work, absolutely worth the wait.

MOARdvPlus uses a very old FASA internal model.
IIRC, BDB has its own, newer IVAs, and IMHO, the time would be better spent populating the new BDB models with MAS props, than supporting FASA ivas that may not even fit with the new BDB models.

"Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - Requires HabTech Props"

Dumb Question, but which part of it? Is it enough to copy the folder \GameData\HabTechProps to \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ ? My path looks like this: E:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\HabTechProps.

I copied ONLY the HabTechProps-Folder. Do you also need Habtech itself? Or do i need another version? I use HabTech2_v1.0.0.

I know, the error is before the Screen, but i tried different combinations of the folders and KPBS are the only parts i didn't get to work. I can BE in the parts and leave the seats but the transfer to another part, e.g. the  Greenhouse or a habitat doesn't work with gravity activated, i always fall through the floor.

8 hours ago, eckithebull said:

"Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - Requires HabTech Props"

Dumb Question, but which part of it? Is it enough to copy the folder \GameData\HabTechProps to \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ ? My path looks like this: E:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\HabTechProps.

I copied ONLY the HabTechProps-Folder. Do you also need Habtech itself? Or do i need another version? I use HabTech2_v1.0.0.

I know, the error is before the Screen, but i tried different combinations of the folders and KPBS are the only parts i didn't get to work. I can BE in the parts and leave the seats but the transfer to another part, e.g. the  Greenhouse or a habitat doesn't work with gravity activated, i always fall through the floor.

Can you post your logs?

Apologies if it was asked already and I simply missed it, but I was curious if this mod could be easily translated to EVA, as an alternative to Through the Eyes of a Kerbal? That mod is superb, don't get me wrong, but I find myself wanting something that has more traditional and easily understandable controls in EVA, with less camera jankiness, and your mod achieves this perfectly but is limited to IVA only. I'd imagine there may be some difficulties in doing things like simulating RCS fuel for the Kerbals while in EVA, but I can't think of any other major issues off the top of my head.

I'm not good with coding or anything like that, but if it's easily doable and you're not interested in doing it, would you mind if I took a crack at it, maybe as a complimentary mod to this one? "FreeEVA"?

@Stone BlueNot quite what I'm after. I'm talking more like enabling pure first person play, the exact same as FreeIVA, but in EVA, allowing for a fully seamless and easily understandable/controllable first person experience at all times, likely supplemented by Parts Commander to make EVA actions possible from a first person perspective.

That being said, that mod is exceptionally cool and something I'll be using in my load order from now on for when I'm not playing in IVA, so thank you for that :)

10 minutes ago, Doggo said:

That being said, that mod is exceptionally cool and something I'll be using in my load order from now on for when I'm not playing in IVA, so thank you for that :)

Just note, that idk if there *could* be any potential conflict with Through the Eyes ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

46 minutes ago, Doggo said:

Apologies if it was asked already and I simply missed it, but I was curious if this mod could be easily translated to EVA, as an alternative to Through the Eyes of a Kerbal? That mod is superb, don't get me wrong, but I find myself wanting something that has more traditional and easily understandable controls in EVA, with less camera jankiness, and your mod achieves this perfectly but is limited to IVA only. I'd imagine there may be some difficulties in doing things like simulating RCS fuel for the Kerbals while in EVA, but I can't think of any other major issues off the top of my head.

I'm not good with coding or anything like that, but if it's easily doable and you're not interested in doing it, would you mind if I took a crack at it, maybe as a complimentary mod to this one? "FreeEVA"?

It would probably be far easier to polish ThroughTheEyes than to make an entire alternative from scratch.  Is it mainly the control scheme that you prefer (mouse look + WASD) ?

Yeah pretty much. Through the Eyes is an awesome mod and I appreciate the work that went into it, but my only issues with it really are just the incredibly janky controls (no mouse look to turn, everything about the EVA controls) and the occasional camera jank it introduces (notably if a kerbal falls over, when they stand back up you can see the back of the helmet. I think this is just because the helmet isn't hidden along with the head, which I appreciate).

I'm curious if there's just a way to implement full mouse look (no mouse look when mouse is active, right click to toggle into mouse look mode, where your kerbal will face the direction the mouse is pointed; necessary for EVA movement. Same way it works in freeIVA) into Through the Eyes, which would largely solve my issues with that mod right away. I think I'd still prefer how cleanly integrated and polished FreeIVA feels, but Through the Eyes is a superb mod on its own so I'd be cool with that as a solution as well.

FreeIva 0.2.12.0 is now available!  Come get your plane parts!

Controls: https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/wiki/Controls
Support: https://discord.gg/vBDzZAq3AF

Dependencies

• ModuleManager is required.
  • B9PartSwitch is recommended for passable variants of some of the stock parts.
  • Reviva is recommended for even more passable variants of some stock and modded parts.
  • RasterPropMonitor and ASET Consolidated Props are recommended for the stock inline docking ports.
  • CommunityCategoryKit is recommended to see all FreeIVA-supported parts at once. You can also type "freeiva" into the stock search box, but may get some false positives.

Notable Changes

Bug Fixes Etc.

• Disable autopassthrough system when SimpleFuelSwitch is installed
  • Fixed several textures in BDB internals

Known Issues

• Windows in distant parts do not render correctly
  • Centrifuge internals are always visible when JSI Advanced Transparent Pods is installed

So I have a suggestion, or a question (I searched for "cargo" and "bay" and didn't find anything itt). I have a Mk2 Cockpit attached to a Mk2 Cargo Bay. Inside the cargo bay there's a Mk1 Crew Cabin attached. But because the game seems to think the mk1 cabin is not attached to the cockpit, opening the cockpit's backdoor in IVA to traverse to the crew cabin (that is inside that cargo bay) is impossible. Is it at all possible to make it so this situation could work? Like making it so when a cargo node that is connected to a cockpit node also has a freeIVA part inside connected to that cargo node, it allows for traversing.

Edited by lodiped

On 4/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, lodiped said:

So I have a suggestion, or a question (I searched for "cargo" and "bay" and didn't find anything itt). I have a Mk2 Cockpit attached to a Mk2 Cargo Bay. Inside the cargo bay there's a Mk1 Crew Cabin attached. But because the game seems to think the mk1 cabin is not attached to the cockpit, opening the cockpit's backdoor in IVA to traverse to the crew cabin (that is inside that cargo bay) is impossible. Is it at all possible to make it so this situation could work? Like making it so when a cargo node that is connected to a cockpit node also has a freeIVA part inside connected to that cargo node, it allows for traversing.

Yes it should be possible:  if you go look at the squad/swuad_passthrough.cfg file the mk3 cargo bays are set up like this.

FreeIva 0.2.13.0 is now available from your finest mod distributors.

Notable Changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfv7huOM-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0jK1sUVMg

• New physical prop system: alt-left-click to grab or throw a prop. Left-click to use the prop (if appropriate). The ALCOR pod is a great testbed for this. Near Future Spacecraft, Stockalike Station Parts Expanded, Habtech2, and Planetside are also good spaces to explore.
  • Added OPT support

Bug Fixes Etc.

• Fixed a fatal bug when a camera collider transform is not found (B9 + RPM)
  • Added passthrough variant to 1.8m and 2.5m monoprop tanks (requires B9PartSwitch)

Known Issues

• Centrifuge internals are always visible when JSI Advanced Transparent Pods is installed

Phenomenal mod! Thank you for making this!

Has anyone been able to exit the Lynx Docking module? I've tried every docking port in the Free IVA tab, and none of them will give the open hatch prompt. When I attached 2 Lynx docking modules directly together with no docking ports in between I am able to get the prompt and open the hatch but can't actually go through the open door. I can also go from a B2 docking module into a Lynx docking module but once inside can't go back through and no longer receive the hatch prompt.  Any ideas?

Thank you again for this incredible mod!

2 hours ago, Invaderdave said:

Has anyone been able to exit the Lynx Docking module? I've tried every docking port in the Free IVA tab, and none of them will give the open hatch prompt. When I attached 2 Lynx docking modules directly together with no docking ports in between I am able to get the prompt and open the hatch but can't actually go through the open door. I can also go from a B2 docking module into a Lynx docking module but once inside can't go back through and no longer receive the hatch prompt.  Any ideas?

Thank you again for this incredible mod!

Woops, looks like I botched the collider model on that one.  Replace FreeIva/FelineUtilityRover/Lynx_DockingBay_Internal.mu with this file: https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/raw/main/GameData/FreeIva/FelineUtilityRover/Lynx_DockingBay_Internal.mu

8 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

FreeIva 0.2.13.0 is now available from your finest mod distributors.

Notable Changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfv7huOM-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0jK1sUVMg

• New physical prop system: alt-left-click to grab or throw a prop. Left-click to use the prop (if appropriate). The ALCOR pod is a great testbed for this. Near Future Spacecraft, Stockalike Station Parts Expanded, Habtech2, and Planetside are also good spaces to explore.
  • Added OPT support

Bug Fixes Etc.

• Fixed a fatal bug when a camera collider transform is not found (B9 + RPM)
  • Added passthrough variant to 1.8m and 2.5m monoprop tanks (requires B9PartSwitch)

Known Issues

I'm definitely going to try this after I get back to my computer. Also, would it be possible to add prop support to the SOCK cockpit?