Beyond: Kerbalkind's History of Space Exploration

Kerbalsaurus

THE SECRET SPACE PROGRAM - YEAR 3, DAY ////

Following the investigation of [VESSEL] which crashed just east of the KSC a few days ago has come up with interesting results. Signals emitted from [VESSEL] are on the same frequency as signals emanating from Duna. First discovered by radio telescopes here on Kerbin and then later confirmed by Explorer 1, it was thought that this was just background radiation. [VESSEL] shows that it is in fact something more. The red planet is calling…

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
New page!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm sorry to say this, but there probably won't be a new mission anytime soon. I haven't really been in the mood for KSP recently, and seeing how the forums have just wet the bed recently, posting would be an uphill battle. It'd be a miracle if this update gets posted...

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Hey, it got posted!

1 hour ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

I'm sorry to say this, but there probably won't be a new mission anytime soon. I haven't really been in the mood for KSP recently, and seeing how the forums have just wet the bed recently, posting would be an uphill battle. It'd be a miracle if this update gets posted...

Yeah... I feel the exact same way. Just not really in a Kerbal mood (especially how dreadfully long the load times are and how horribly optimized the first game is compared to a sim like DCS (even Super Mario 64 even feels like it was more optimized than KSP), even with a pretty fast computer like mine), and the forums have decided die recently, which is a horrible combo for us mission reporters. Hopefully the Kerbal drive will eventually return.

Happy 2024 though, everyone!

14 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Same, too. I've been playing a lot of Minecraft with my friends on a server recently, and that's taken up most of the time I spend on the computer. The new chapter I'm working on has taken a lot of setting up, and combined with technical issues in KSP and technical issues in the forums, it's been hard to even post a single update.

KERMAN STATION ANNOUNCEMENTS - YEAR 4, DAY 1IJfw0y0.png

THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS APPROVED BY THE KERBAL AERONAUTICAL SAFETY COMMISSION AND DIRECTOR KERBALSAURUS KERMAN OF BEYOND

Well, it's the New Year! Usually, business would continue as normal at Beyond, but Beyond would like to start off the new year with the most exciting piece of news. Beyond is releasing its plans for not just future of the program, but for the future of all of Kerbalkinds presence in space. Ladies and gentlekerbs, behold the brand new expansion plan for Kerman Station!

l0z1W3z.png

Over the course of Year 4, Beyond will be introducing more modules to Kerman Station, which will greatly increase the station's crew capacity as well as provide a more economical purpose to the space station. Fuel tankers can be sent to and from Kerman Station to refuel a reusable shuttle that can go to the Mun and Minmus, which will greatly reduce costs of the Aurora Program, as well as allow crew rotations to be done regularly at the Mun and Minmus too. This will also open the door to sustainable base architecture, and provide an area for Kerballed interplanetary mission to be constructed and docked. Beyond's future is exciting, and we can't wait to start flying. Happy new year everybody!

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

NEW PARTNERSHIPS! - YEAR 4, DAY 5IJfw0y0.png

FROM THE DESK OF DIRECTOR KERBALSAURUS KERMAN

Yes, it's true! Beyond has partnered up with two more private space companies! Please welcome @Kimera Industries and Noctilucent Aerospace Cooperative ( @Hypersonic Was Taken Again)! These two companies are new on the stage of the Aerospace Industry, and joined one after the other, but they fill entirely different niches. Kimera Industries and their CEO Andrew Kerman introduced to us the Celestial Lounge, and NAC and their CEO Hypersonic Kerman has presented us with two scientific satellites, OORT-1 and EMBARK. These two companies are the future of space exploration, and Beyond is happy to be working with them!  

WBDzerZ.png X z87fg8S.png

WBDzerZ.png X 3c461VA.png

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Switched to Andrew Kerman.

1 minute ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

NEW PARTNERSHIPS! - YEAR 4, DAY 5IJfw0y0.png

FROM THE DESK OF DIRECTOR KERBALSAURUS KERMAN

Yes, it's true! Beyond has partnered up with two more private space companies! Please welcome @Kimera Industries and Noctilucent Aerospace Cooperative ( @Hypersonic Was Taken Again)! These two companies are new on the stage of the Aerospace Industry, and joined one after the other, but they fill entirely different niches. Kimera Industries and their CEO Kimera Kerman introduced to us the Celestial Lounge, and NAC and their CEO Hypersonic Kerman has presented us with two scientific satellites, OORT-1 and EMBARK. These two companies are the future of space exploration, and Beyond is happy to be working with them!  

WBDzerZ.png X z87fg8S.png

WBDzerZ.png X 3c461VA.png

Awesome!

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

their CEO Kimera Kerman

I think this is on me for not clarifying (yeah it totally is) but technically their CEO is Andrew Kerman 

SkyFall Industries' MK 10 Crew Shuttle is finally ready, and I'll have images by tomorrow. Would Beyond be interested in another partnership with SkyFall Industries?
This may involve launching a new station module as the Crew Shuttle only has a 0.625m docking port.

2 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

This may involve launching a new station module as the Crew Shuttle only has a 0.625m docking port.

I think they already have a module for WinterOwl's MLO.

Also, congratulations to the new companies for being selected!

Edited by TwoCalories

1 hour ago, TwoCalories said:

I think they already have a module for WinterOwl's MLO.

Also, congratulations to the new companies for being selected!

Wait, did the MLO ever dock with Kerman Station?

SkyFall Industries now announces its MK 10 Crew Shuttle!

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

This shuttle has upward of 600 m/s DV in LKO, and a 0.625m docking port of docking with stations.

Instructions:

Spoiler

Ascent: Upon takeoff, pitch up to 10 degrees above the horizon. Stage to detach the forward wheel.

You should be able to get up to over 1.3 KM/S  before your speed starts dropping. When this happens, stage to decouple the jets and continue to orbit on rocket power.

Note: DO NOT attempt to land the shuttle when the jets are attached - they are heavy and the thing flies like a brick, and I've never managed to do it before.

Descent:

Land like with a normal spaceplane. Go easy on the brakes - the thing might spin out of control if you just hold the brakes down constantly.

We would also like to propose a new large spacecraft, building off of our centrifuge technology: The MK 1 LREV (Long Range Expedition Vehicle)

This two-module orbitally assembled ship has large crew quarters, over 4 KM/S DV on  a full tank, and a small payload bay for probes.  

Each module weighs less than 15 tons when fully defueled.

Craft files:
Shuttle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U8tq89k-YbOMZm5Rw4vVLE35npGZKb-j/view?usp=sharing

LREV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f569H926d0Fu_CWPcBsrFtZ12xlOMJQ2/view?usp=sharing

Edited by SkyFall2489

4 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

SkyFall Industries now announces its MK 10 Crew Shuttle!

This shuttle has upward of 600 m/s DV in LKO, and a 0.625m docking port of docking with stations.

Instructions:

Reveal hidden contents

Ascent: Upon takeoff, pitch up to 10 degrees above the horizon. Stage to detach the forward wheel.

You should be able to get up to over 1.3 KM/S  before your speed starts dropping. When this happens, stage to decouple the jets and continue to orbit on rocket power.

Note: DO NOT attempt to land the shuttle when the jets are attached - they are heavy and the thing flies like a brick, and I've never managed to do it before.

Descent:

Land like with a normal spaceplane. Go easy on the brakes - the thing might spin out of control if you just hold the brakes down constantly.

We would also like to propose a new large spacecraft, building off of our centrifuge technology: The MK 1 LREV (Long Range Expedition Vehicle)

This two-module orbitally assembled ship has large crew quarters, over 4 KM/S DV on  a full tank, and a small payload bay for probes.  

Each module weighs less than 15 tons when fully defueled.

Craft files:
Shuttle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U8tq89k-YbOMZm5Rw4vVLE35npGZKb-j/view?usp=sharing

LREV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f569H926d0Fu_CWPcBsrFtZ12xlOMJQ2/view?usp=sharing

Both look really cool! However, I don't see why we need LREV. We're nowhere near needing an interplanetary transfer craft, and when we do get to that point, I'd much rather build the vehicle myself. I already have several designs made.

3 minutes ago, Kimera Industries said:

@Kerbalsaurus, is there a specific need for any kind of commercially built vehicle? I just need a brief guideline so I don't end up aimlessly building something that eventually turns into an ICBM again. 

Really a scientific commsat is all I'll really except right now. The MK10 is the last tourist spacecraft I'll except for a while, the RBS and soon Novera have heavy to medium payloads covered, and I don't want to over saturate Kerman Station with too many modules. I know I said four, but I think three is the cap.

11 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Really a scientific commsat is all I'll really except right now. The MK10 is the last tourist spacecraft I'll except for a while, the RBS and soon Novera have heavy to medium payloads covered, and I don't want to over saturate Kerman Station with too many modules. I know I said four, but I think three is the cap.

Are science planes allowed, perchance? Like a high altitude research plane or something?

Edited by TwoCalories

There probably won't be an update for a while, as I've come down with a pretty bad cold. Quite hard to play KSP with a constantly stuffed nose and watery eyes. However, I can at least still write, and I wondered if maybe I should go back and edit some posts. Way back when this thread started, I was horrible at writing. And still kind of am, but I don't make constant keyboard errors. Also, I'm going to add a mission list to the OP, with ongoing missions and a Space Station crew list.

43 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

There probably won't be an update for a while, as I've come down with a pretty bad cold. Quite hard to play KSP with a constantly stuffed nose and watery eyes. However, I can at least still write, and I wondered if maybe I should go back and edit some posts. Way back when this thread started, I was horrible at writing. And still kind of am, but I don't make constant keyboard errors. Also, I'm going to add a mission list to the OP, with ongoing missions and a Space Station crew list.

I like that idea! Maybe when I finally launch some crew to Salyut I should do the same thing.

5 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Both look really cool! However, I don't see why we need LREV. We're nowhere near needing an interplanetary transfer craft, and when we do get to that point, I'd much rather build the vehicle myself. I already have several designs made.

Do you have screenshots of those designs?

img%5D

THIS POST WAS MADE BY THE CALORIES SPACE EXPLORATION INITIATIVE

(Thanks to @Kerbalsaurus for helping me with designing the flag :))

We at CalSpace are proud to unveil a new vessel, the CS-38 Talon!

Note: the photos taken were of an older variant, with less tweaks and lower landing gear. The version for "sale" has had these tweaks made and the landing gear arranged better for safer landing.

img%5D

img%5D

The CS-38 Talon was previously a competitor against the Terror Bird for the UKA's supersonic airplane program. Now it serves an arguable more noble goal, to gather atmospheric science and train new Kerbonaut recruits. The CS-38 is supersonic and highly maneuverable, both of which are good skills for aspiring Kerbonauts to practice. It also features an advanced ejection system in case said trainee has to eject mid-flight.

The CS-38, while small, can carry different science packages. The variant showcased has a wing-mounted science kit, but other variants down the line will have various more packages. We're planning on a sounding rocket and a science glider!

img%5D

A Talon buzzes the Mission Control Center, showcasing its impressive maneuverability.

img%5D

On full afterburner, the CS-38 can reach just over Mach 1.

img%5D

Taken from another Talon flying in close formation, this picture gives a good view of the Type-2 Science Pod (we don't talk about the Type 1).

As mentioned before, the Talon is equipped with an ejection system, using four small SRBs and two decouplers to take the cockpit away from danger. Also, the Science Pod is decouplable, in case emergency maneuvers are required. Dropping the science pod will shed a couple precious kilograms off of the airplane.

img%5D

The CS-38's patented EJECT (Emergency JEttison of Cockpit Trigger) system in action. (Artist's rendition)

img%5D

After the inital ejection is complete, a drogue chute is deployed, allowing the pilot to egress the cockpit at safer speeds before deploying their own personal parachute. (Artist's rendition)

The CS-38 Talon will be the first of many aircraft from CalSpace, and we hope to collaborate with Beyond in the future!

KerbalX link is here: KerbalX - CS-38 Talon + Science Pod

Also, for practical use, I recommend Atmosphere Autopilot, as the CS-38 is a bit unstable. Without it, it'll be quite a beast to fly, not unlike the real-life T-38 Talon.

Edited by TwoCalories

OFFICIAL RESPONSE TO CALSPACE - YEAR 4, DAY 6 IJfw0y0.png

FROM THE DESK OF KERBALSAURUS

WBDzerZ.png  X GTK4sIn.png

We at Beyond are extremely excited to be working with CalSpace again! The CS-38 Talon is the perfect fit to train out new class of Kerbonauts, and for a new atmospheric science program. Formal congratulations have been ordered, and we like to thank CalSpace for continuing their partnership with Beyond!

Edited by Kerbalsaurus