When is Console Release

From my understanding, the console release will take place after the early access period. However, that can take a long time. Will console players have to wait years, I hope not.

I know most players are on PC, but not everyone has one. Updates are possible on console, so I don't understand why they are waiting so long.

3 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Will console players have to wait years, I hope not.

We just don't know. It's not even worth it to try to estimate it; we have nothing to even ballpark it. It could be a week, a month, a year, a decade, never, or somewhere in between. You know exactly as much as the rest of us do.

3 hours ago, Drakenred65 said:

There’s 6 sections to the roadmap.

assuming dev cycles are 6 weeks, and 1-4 cycles to swat bugs, work in feedback, eat snax and redo any false assumptions made during development, your looking at 36-144 weeks.

We're only seeing 6 sections. There could be 20. If you look at the roadmap there's a hidden 7th section. We just don't know how many there are. 

17 minutes ago, Drakenred65 said:

So at least 42-168 weeks

Again, we don't know. We don't know how many major updates they have planned. Solar systems for instance, I doubt they'll stop at adding 2 new ones. They could be adding 7 total. 

I'm betting the locked seventh section is for DLC. To be clear, I don't care if it takes six months. I care if the control options is as useless on PS5 as KSP1's. Full K&M, or I stick to PC. And coming from me, that really hurts to say. KSP is pretty much the only game left that I play on a computer and not a console.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:05 PM, Stephensan said:

just expect it to be after 1.0 and before ksp 3.

This - There's very little reason or benefit to push to consoles in early access. Deploying patches and updates to consoles is a significantly more involved process than publishing steam updates, involving significant review and testing from the platform controller, and an associated cost. The speed of iteration is just one of many reasons why console early access is so rare. This is starting to slowly change with things like Xbox Game Preview, but that is very much a "Microsoft will pick and choose" process, and not something the devs can just do themselves.

What you lose out on, mainly, is console player feedback on game mechanics, but that is generally not a problem so long as your PC launch is large enough - Its unlikely that console players will have input to say, the balancing of Colony resource production that is any different from PC players. Any divergent feedback will almost exclusively be in regards to console input/control schemes, which would be the bottom of the barrel of concerns during the core part of actually adding new gameplay mechanics and content - There's simply more important things to focus on.