Official ESRB rating: E (Everyone)

Vl3d

Modifications can't affect game rating, otherwise every single moddable game with humanoid characters would have Mature/18 rating thanks to nude mods lol.

Same as multiplayer experience. Can't really rate what other people will do, especially when there's chat involved.

Edited by The Aziz

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Modifications can't affect game rating, otherwise every single moddable game with humanoid characters would have Mature/18 rating thanks to nude mods lol.

Same as multiplayer experience. Can't really rate what other people will do, especially when there's chat involved.

I was joking. I know that of course. lol

How do they get the rating? Do they have to submit a finished / playable version of the game to someone to have a look at? Is this the rating for the EA version, and they'll have to resubmit when each 'extra' bit gets released?

I have no idea how it works! :D

2 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

How do they get the rating? Do they have to submit a finished / playable version of the game to someone to have a look at? Is this the rating for the EA version, and they'll have to resubmit when each 'extra' bit gets released?

I have no idea how it works! :D

It's a simple process:

The devs fill out a questionnaire. (Yes, seriously)

When the game releases, the ESRB then plays the game for themselves (yes, seriously) and then determine if the devs told the truth or not. 

After that, they either keep or amend the rating. 

Explosions are no different than fireworks any kid could see outside the window. And cartoon violence is Kerbals going poof, or whatever they do this time (I doubt they're going to die in any way that's more graphic than going splat and turning into a green puddle with eyes). So that's still E.

3 hours ago, snkiz said:

I saw one the discord mod explain the reason for no voice chat is the the ESRB rating. So the game probably won't have voice chat. Witch is for the best.

Didn't they specify voice chat? No chat at all might make multiplayer extremely difficult to work in

12 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Didn't they specify voice chat? No chat at all might make multiplayer extremely difficult to work in

Discord is your voice chat. :P

Or you can use one of the other 100 voice chat systems. 

46 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Are you being serious? You expect players to actually install and use Discord? The game should have it's own voice chat system for multiplayer.

Just now, Vl3d said:

Are you being serious? You expect players to actually install and use Discord? The game should have it's own voice chat system for multiplayer.

Lots of multiplayer games don't have in-game voice chat. 

And really, in 2023, everyone and their dog should already have Discord, Skype, Zoom, or whatever their preferred voice chat is. 

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

from what I understand, having integrated voice chat adds the "Users Interact" tag to ESRB and the rating has to change to reflect the possibility of someone using strong language or topics not meant for kids. Filter systems can be bypassed, so in order to avoid that risk (and subsequent rating change), interactions will likely be limited to emotes and pre-generated message systems (such as "I'd like to dock" or "Let's go to [Celestial Body]").

There might be a way to add integrated voice-chat features without the rating changing by having an integration with existing voice chat services (such as Discord) that implement whatever gameplay features you want while keeping the game technically not responsible for managing voice chat. 

Lastly, there are plenty of ways to talk to people through text or voice, not just Discord. Is your issue with that platform in specific or the third-party requirement in general? Because the lack of a first-party voice chat is pretty much the norm for modern games and mostly won't change for the reason listed above (especially for games that have young audiences), and aside from features that only first-party chat can bring (which can still exist), chances are whatever system the developers come up with is going to be surpassed by 80% of third-party voice chat systems. 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Again, Im not worried about a lack of voice chat but a lack of even having txt chat as setting up a large space civilization with no comms would be very difficult

37 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I get why voice chat cant be in as mentioned before, it has no filter and allows toxic environments to exist in large servers harming the rating of the game

9 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Again, Im not worried about a lack of voice chat but a lack of even having txt chat as setting up a large space civilization with no comms would be very difficult

I get why voice chat cant be in as mentioned before, it has no filter and allows toxic environments to exist in large servers harming the rating of the game

Morse code using rocket engines. Or play sherades with the new emoji system. 

5 hours ago, snkiz said:

I saw one the discord mod explain the reason for no voice chat is the the ESRB rating. So the game probably won't have voice chat. Witch is for the best.

This also makes sense in terms of feature triage.  Implementing in-game voice chat seems like a low yield (not necessarily bad) way to spend dev time.  Just support a reliable windowed mode and make sure push to talk key presses get passed through properly and I'll be happy.

18 minutes ago, snkiz said:

I get the feeling this isn't a serious issue to you. :valjoy:

I'm not that worried about it. I tend to stay off multiplayer in games because all mp experiences kind of ruin the mood for me. 

That being said, there should definitely be text chat and I would like a form of in game voice chat so if I play with friends, I don't have to have some program up taking valuable cpu realistate. 

But I won't be bummed about it if there is no system in game because be have other programs to serve the function. 

Edited by GoldForest

10 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I would be surprised if there weren't multiple dedicated Discord servers for voice chat specifically for KSP2.  But nobody is being forced to install that or anything else for voice chat during game play.  You are free to use whatever system you wish.

Let us also not forget that integrating voice chat in the game takes Dev resources that could be put to better use elsewhere.  Like getting the game to 1.0.

Edited by Scarecrow71