What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

23 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

And more science to unlock stuff :) 

Another tips, you don't need heat shields for planes going down into the atmosphere, tested it on Kerbin, just have an high pitch angle, think space shuttle so 30-45 degree. this increase drag and lift in the upper atmosphere, I just got an bit of heating on the wings you can use an small docking port or probe inside the cargo bay to set say 30 degree up as forward by tilting it and control from here. 
Did not do that on my Laythe drones. 
Laythe is easier because lower gravity, in KSP 1, I got Ap above target on the rapier in air breathing mode and it was not an lightweight plane. 

I didn't know that about heat shielding on planes and never tested without one.  Would make it a lot less cumbersome to deal with if I hadn't had the shield!  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Biggen said:

I didn't know that about heat shielding on planes and never tested without one.  Would make it a lot less cumbersome to deal with if I hadn't had the shield!  Thanks!

Yes problem is to get an accurate landing spot, but you are now in an jet who make missing by 100 km less of an problem than in an rover. 
Having an fixed angle makes it easier to try again, Kind of like ranging shots with artillery but here you reload and try again. 

I got it working on my second-hand Dell workstation from 2016 at a buttery smooth 15fps in menus(8 with a 3 part ship!)

edit: nvm it is now crashing after I tried to mod it.

edit2: ITS WORKING AGIAN!

edit3: It broe again

edit4: it works again now lol.

edit5: this is really unstable lol.

Edited by Ryaja

Started with Duna landings.
6XJBjYZ.jpg

Because of an weird bug game shows that this lander has less than half the dV it actually has, who is 2800 full. 

The mushroom garden shown is an real effect with an more resistant rock on top of an softer one and its sandstorms. 
It was hard to find, the waypoint is on the other side of this hill and this rover don't like to climb hills then full of fuel. The wheels can also take quite some beating I was set to sea level then landing so did not start braking from 45 m/s until I saw my shadow on the ground, then Z, lander jumped up but nothing was damaged.

Also despite only shown 1081 m/s dV I was able to reach mothership with 1/5 of the fuel left. 

Edited by magnemoe

Today I reached my first non-Kerbin celestial body ... (Editedd for clarity: in KSP2, I've done most places in KSP1)

fhuHQIo.jpg

Moho!

Don't judge me, I'd just unlocked nuclear engines and I was coming up on the annual reliable Moho transfer window with an age to go before any window for anywhere else (i.e. Duna). All I have on board is environmental science so I'm only going to get 540 science points, and I'm going to have to get it back for even that, but I'm pretty tapped out for Kerbin.

I did include a relay satellite to support future missions. (Objects in image are closer than they appear)

ocgrBpj.jpg

Edited by Robin Patenall
Clarified that this is my first in KSP2, I'd done this in KSP1

1 hour ago, Robin Patenall said:

Today I reached my first non-Kerbin celestial body ...

Moho!

Don't judge me, I'd just unlocked nuclear engines and I was coming up on the annual reliable Moho transfer window with an age to go before any window for anywhere else (i.e. Duna). All I have on board is environmental science so I'm only going to get 540 science points, and I'm going to have to get it back for even that, but I'm pretty tapped out for Kerbin.

I did include a relay satellite to support future missions. (Objects in image are closer than they appear)

Well this is impressive if this is your first interplanetary transfer.  Getting to (and from) Moho can be a chore. Looks like you got the first 50% complete.  Well done!

27 minutes ago, Biggen said:

Well this is impressive if this is your first interplanetary transfer.  Getting to (and from) Moho can be a chore. Looks like you got the first 50% complete.  Well done!

Ah, I realise I should have been clearer. It's my first in KSP2, so not as impressive. I had quite a station around Moho in KSP1 (ISRU and everything), but not having any mods running in KSP2 (specifically anything to make the manoeuvre plans easier to adjust) it was harder than I remember

Amazed I launched this thing whole.

hiEl2yF.jpeg

I didn't even try a gravity turn. I sent it straight up until the boosters ran out, which gave me an apoapsis of about 180km. I used the second stage to circularize from there, leaving me with the XXL Hydrogen Tank and a SWERV engine.

cHBCjBx.jpeg

It's the first time I've used a Nuclear engine. Man, they burn bright, don't they?

I set a course for Jool, and put myself in a hugely eliptical orbit, so that I could divert off to Bop.

The TWR  was so low it made me wonder if it'd even be able to slow down enough to enter Bop Orbit, given how low the gravity is, but she managed it.

7b2Pgg4.jpeg

My first time seeing Bop up close. My 'Drive Section' still has 2000 DV in it. It's clearly the most efficient transfer section I've ever put together. Cost almost every Science Point I've gained so far to unlock the parts, but I'm betting it can get me to every place in Kerbol, eventually.

I don't know if you can see it from these picks, but the section on top of the fuel tank is a Science Station. All the science parts I've unlocked so far, (which is everything except Aquatic, and Orbital Science), as well as landing legs, RTG power sources, and a crew compartment.

On top of the station is regular fuel tank with four Thud engines. The idea is that the thing can be eased down, and the 'landing rockets' detached to fly away, so it isn't so top heavy.

So far it's worked on Mun, Minmus, Ike, and Gilly. All the low gravity moons. Seeing as my 'Landing Drive' has 2000 DV left, I can't imagine Bop will be a problem.

Unfortunately, I'm suffering glitches at the moment, even on Quick Loading, so I'll save the landing for tomorrow.

Minmus Monument mission complete.

20240303130959-1.jpg

Pulling off the polar orbit was actually easier than I expected. I did have to match inclination before setting up that maneuver, which I was going to try and cheekily avoid, but it was like any old thing I'd done before. I decided to keep the orbit nice and tight to make it easier to get down to the monument. The frustrating thing was that my initial trajectory was leading me straight to it, but having to get into a stable orbit, the time it took pushed the monument out of my window.
20240303131109-1.jpg
20240303131126-1.jpg
20240303132317-1.jpg

But I said screw it and went for it anyway. Minmus easy enough to conquer so I set a new course very nearly on top of the thing.
20240303132516-1.jpg

Victory more or less in sight. Would I whiff the landing like I've done so many times with the Mun?
20240303132903-1.jpg
20240303133007-1.jpg

Well yeah, I very nearly did. I assume due to the location of the monument, but trying to set down upright was probably the hardest fight I've had. That tip you see? That's back in the upward direction on my recovery. My RCS thrusters were almost touching the surface.
20240303133132-1.jpg

After settling and saving, I decided to hop just a touch closer, as I wasn't technically in the monument location.
20240303133428-1.jpg
20240303133629-1.jpg
20240303133635-1.jpg
20240303133648-1.jpg
To show proper disrespect to the Builders, I planted my flag right at the top of the monument - some 4700m tall if I remember correctly. But that can't be correct.  At any rate, that's Kerbin and satellites conquered by way of the mission system. Next stop Duna. That's right Tom - you called me out and now I'm coming.

I did come across a potentially useful albeit exploitative bug. Jeb was recoverable without needing to return to Kerbin so I was able to bring him and another 500ish science back home. Unfortunately that meant leaving behind the lander, however that works out if I decide I want to return to the monument later, I have a handy marker.

I do appreciate that the mission brief for the Duna mission tells me exactly what I need to know: transfer window is 45 degree angle with Duna ahead. Atmosphere starts at 50km. Aerobreaking is encouraged. Make use of the Trip Planner. I still would like to see that numerical information somewhere else more accessible.  I've been to Duna once in KSP2 through dumb luck, and once in KSP1 because I stumbled upon its trip planning mechanic very late into my time with the game.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:34 PM, Robin Patenall said:

Today I reached my first non-Kerbin celestial body ... (Editedd for clarity: in KSP2, I've done most places in KSP1)

fhuHQIo.jpg

Moho!

ocgrBpj.jpg

Moho orbit is short so you get frequent windows to it, its however pretty hard to get to because the high dV cost and high inclination. My first probe there in KSP 1 hit the planet at 6 km/s. 

I uses https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/#/Eve/100/Kerbin/100/false/optimalPlaneChange/false/1/330 all the time, to plan interplanetary flights. This for my Eve return mission, yes you can use it between all planets.  

3 hours ago, Casellina X said:

Sounds like a successful DART-style mission.

:)  It was something like your probe, had 2 km/s dV left. 

Looking at your rocket I notice decoplers for the two side tanks but no fuel lines. I assume you enabled fuel flow trough the decoplers ? 
Now KSP 2 has some problem with dV readings with drop tanks more than with crossfeed then you has engines on the two drop tanks. 

9 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

:)  It was something like your probe, had 2 km/s dV left. 

Looking at your rocket I notice decoplers for the two side tanks but no fuel lines. I assume you enabled fuel flow trough the decoplers ? 
Now KSP 2 has some problem with dV readings with drop tanks more than with crossfeed then you has engines on the two drop tanks. 

If you mean my Moho probe, then yes, the decouples were cross-feed enabled and I went around manually moving fuel from the outer tanks to the inner core after every burn (I wish they'd fix the bug in the resource transfer UI as I'm running unmodded at the moment). I didn't use fuel lines much in KSP1 (cross-feed and fuel priority did a lot of the work) and may not have even unlocked them when I launched it. You only really need them if you are doing things in a hurry, if you have time between burns they are unnecessary.

I did have issues with dV calculations in the VAB and spent some time building it without decouples, checking the dV, reducing the fuel levels to reduce the dV to each post-burn level and removing the drop tanks to simulate decoupling. There were actually another pair of the 2.5m small tanks on the top of the side tanks that help fuel the initial orbital insertion and the first 250m/s of periapsis kick.

It's on it's way back to Kerbin now, I did the initial Moho to Kerbin orbital height burn and the inclination burn at Kerbol AP to put it in Kerbin's plane but It's having to do a couple of Moho / Kerbin orbit loops to get everything aligned for the final rendezvous burn.

Finally decided to tackle Kappy Rock.  I had to do this mission twice because it's bugged.  You can't use the small landing can much to my amazement. You have to use the medium size landing can.  I was pretty aggravated to find this out after I was touching the rock and the mission wasn't being accomplished for me.  So I had to launch a second mission with the "correct" landing can on the rocket.  Seems like a pretty dumb and easy to fix bug.  Hopefully this helps someone in the future and saves them over an hour worth of time!  You also don't need to actually bring the lander can to the rock.  So long as you lift off with it, you can jettison it at any time.

I opted for a launch into polar orbit and then just deorbited near the landing zone.  Took me a couple tries but got under 4km and then rode the rest of the way there in a rover.  Had a bit of a snafu on the landing with bouncy legs but luckily the reaction wheel in the rover let me roll out of the upside down lander.

20240305073542-1.jpg

20240305073557-1.jpg

20240305074544-1.jpg

20240305074606-1.jpg

20240305074807-1.jpg

20240305075134-1.jpg

20240305075448-1.jpg

4 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Weird, I used the small one, but I assumed you had to get it to the site and did using an larger rover with it. on.

That is strange.  I read on the KSP sub on Reddit that someone said you can't use the small can either.  That was after I was trying to figure out what went wrong for me.  

2 minutes ago, Poppa Wheelie said:

I also used the small.

Mission say an lander can but not who model, but as said I assumed you had to bring the can to the location, would anyway made an rover but it would make it easier, next trip is worse because its an mountain area. These two missions gave much needed science after Minmus. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Mission say an lander can but not who model, but as said I assumed you had to bring the can to the location, would anyway made an rover but it would make it easier, next trip is worse because its an mountain area. These two missions gave much needed science after Minmus. 

Just did the Stargazer Point mission if that is the one you are talking about.  Yeah, it was tougher landing here unpowered.  Had to reload about 6 - 8 times to try and get the landing spot down better.  Ended up still about 5km from the spot and had to use the rover to roll/tumble/drive down the hills.

20240305142855-1.jpg

Continuing Duna exploration 

Spoiler

B0D03nd.jpg

Start getting very bored of Duna landings now but just north pole and two artifacts left. At least the north pole will be easy to hit :) 
Last landing will be an unmanned one, radiation measurement at the monument. I was so close with lander fuel on this mission, Yes has 250 ton of fuel arriving later. 

Edited by magnemoe

On 2/29/2024 at 4:36 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

I feel so...accomplished.

I had that feeling after my first Duna mission. Surprisingly, it's so far my only one, and guess what? My first Jool mission (and also my only one as well) was a Jool 5... Ambitious, I know, but somehow my incompetence didn't get in the way.

So, I told you'd I'd give an update on my Bop mission?

I had plenty of DeltaV left on my lander, so I figured it's be easy. Turned out to be the most maddening one yet. The gravity is so low, I can't get the thing to stay down. Even the tiniest tilt will essentially restart the whole landing sequence. The gravity was just too low for it to settle onto the landing legs.

Took me eight tries, and three restarts of the game. Apparently, the glitches build up if you quick load too often, (At leas they do on my computer).

For a while, I thought about landing in a flatter place, and...

Spoiler

...just having a Kerbal EVA to go over to the 'Bop Kraken Fossil...

...But that turned out to be impractical for the same reason. My Kerbalnaut had an AP of 17,000 meters after a few seconds of using the jetpack. Wasn't sure I'd have enough fuel to slow him down.

He didn't seem to enjoy it either.

OkV2RzE.jpeg

Finally, I got the thing down, and had it... semi-hover there.

I don't know if you can see in this pic, given the 'darkness', but the 'upper' section, where my landing jets are? You can see the RCS firing to hold it upright on an incline. it stayed in this position for half an hour, without me even touching anything.

DVXRi96.jpeg

So I had a Kerbal jump down from this thing, and jump over to the target, get the samples, and then make back for the hatch. The 'Station' essentially stayed in this balancing act while I was gone. I still had enough Delta-V to get it back into orbit of Bop and try another landing. Later. When I'm sane again. In the meantime, I passed a Science Mission.

I used the same design as my last post, and this time headed for Pol. Higher gravity there, so landing was a little easier.

Brighter, too.

pRqyuZA.jpeg

That's three moons of Jool that I've landed on. Two with permanent Science Stations. (You can tell I'm looking forward to Colonies).