KSP 2 and Proton

29 minutes ago, farelinho said:

After playing for a few days with the new patch (KSP2 v0.1.1.0), I managed to get the game going with a pretty decent performance. As far as I can read on multiple posts, the game seems to run quite like most Windows players.

With settings all at max, I'm getting around 35 fps in KSC, around 25 at the launchpad with a small rocket, 35 fps in orbit and map views. Much smoother than before.

I'm using Steam on Ubuntu 22.10, 16 GB RAM, CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 12 core, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Forcing Proton 7.0-6

• I always get an error in proton Experimental stating it can't find DX11 if not using WINE3D
  • If running Proton Experimental must add PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 in launch options to run, causing lots of terrain bugs and much slower performance.

Launch options: 

eval $( echo "LC_ALL=C PROTON_LOG=1 %command%" | sed "s/PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/KSP2_x64.exe'/" )
  • Skips the annoying launcher
  • Not using WINE3D: much better performance, clouds present, much less terrain glitches

I tried your steps and am unfortunately still getting horrendous performance. EndeavourOS on 6.2.7-arch1-1; 5900x, 32GB 3600MHz, 3080. I'm still sub 15 FPS in the VAB (whereas in Windows I get 120-144 in the VAB; unfortunately I refuse to boot into Windows unless I absolutely have to). `PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1` gets me tolerable FPS but too many terrain glitches (as mentioned).

I've put in over 200 hours entirely under Proton Experimental (7.0-101 as I write this) on Ubuntu 20.04.

Generally the experience seems to be the same as what people are seeing under Windows.

I do have one possible exception.  A strange "stuck keys" input issue.  If I hold a key for any length of time, instead of just tapping it, the game doesn't seem to notice when I release it right away.  The longer I held the key down, the longer it ends up being "stuck".

I can generally work around this by relying on SAS and basically making sure I'm never holding any keys down for longer than like a second.

After doing some googling looking for workarounds I get the impression that this might be a Unity/Proton issue.  I've seen other people report the exact same issue about other Unity games under Proton.

On 2/25/2023 at 4:59 PM, vermokus said:

What I noticed is that when I push a control key for a long time it fills up some cache, and until that cache runs out, any keypresses are ignored. Due to the 10-12 fps this results overcorrections very quickly. I'll try to make a video so i can report it as a bug.

I think you're having the same issue as me.  Certain keys become "stuck" when they're held down.  The longer you hold them down the longer they're "stuck".

I'd also say it's like some cache or queue is being filled up.  For example, while the W key is stuck, if I press other directions nothing will register.  Then once the key becomes "unstuck" all the other key presses get played out.  Almost like I recorded a macro.

I notice that not all keys are affected the same way.  And the mouse seems totally unaffected.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, .42. said:

i run on a new-ish high end system, fedora 37, steam, proton, no changes made by me

worked out of the box, of course with tons of bugs.

with a simple rocket 4k highest settings seems well playable, once you get away from ksp it is perfect.

16gb vram amd and amd threadripper, 3 digits of ddr4 ram, quad channel

however large complex rockets make the game unplayable fps wise. i'm not an engineer, but the game does seem to use a fraction of what the hardware could provide. that was before the patch. a little better after the patch, not very much yet.

however:

the worst of the worst is a bug that persisted from before the patch and got 1000 times worse with the new patch, rendering the game entirely unplayable: long press inputs such as steering a rocket completely messes up the input queue of the game engine. 5 seconds pressing left translates to 15-25 seconds of pressing left, ignoring all inputs until that now way too long steering input is completed. after that it executes all key presses one after another, from map on off on off on off to esc menu on off on off on off to time ,.,.,. but if you press right to counteract the over steer that was induced, the problem compounds and the game gets worse and worse and worse.

at some time you just watch the game seemingly played by somebody else, of course since esc is not even elevated over other key inputs in ksp2, pressing that does nothing during that time.

the very first time starting with the new patch no steering input was accepted at all. then i updated everything (os, steam, those vulkan shaders steam sometimes updates, restarting for the new kernel, opening and then closing ksp2, then finally reopening ksp2 and start testing) and now i am left with this mess i described above that makes ksp2 unusable.

i hope this gets better, it could be such a great game. btw i only do rockets. i am not interested in the planes at this time.

The bug your describing sounds like exactly what I'm running into.  Keys seem to become "stuck" if I hold them down for any length of time.  While a key is stuck other input seems to get queued somehow and plays out like a macro once the first key becomes "unstuck".

I don't know if this is a bug with the game or something due to Unity/Proton.  I've seen other people report this exact same behavior about other Unity games running under Proton.

I started a thread specifically about this a while back: {Bug Report] Stuck Directional Keys - Input Frozen/Blocking/Queing/Lagging

On 2/26/2023 at 12:13 PM, running_bird said:

However it causes almost all the terrain except the ocean and the KSC area disappear. So at least for me this not really a fix but simply triggers a bug in wined3d and since no ground is rendered the FPS are better.

I am on AMD, so maybe this only makes a difference on AMD cards.

Same for me. I couldn't get Steam to open the game. Opened it with wine instead and it runs well. Smooth framerate most of the time. My biggest bugs are no terrain on Kerbin and other visual things. Must be specific to AMD. In spite of that, it's playable, and both the Mun and Duna have working terrain.

My other problem is that alt-tab breaks focus on the game. It stops accepting mouse and keyboard commands after that.

On 3/22/2023 at 1:47 PM, garetheld said:

I've just spent £45 on KSP2 and to say I'm majorly p****d off is understatement of the century as it flat out doesn't work!  Once purchased, I went to download it and couldn't find the link for the Linux version. 

I was caught off guard too. The website purchasing process ought to have a little warning that there is no Linux version.

• 2 weeks later...

The the new patch (KSP2 v0.1.2.0) improved a lot of gameplay bugs but it has added a new problem under proton/linux. Any action that causes loss of focus results in a crash to black screen.

I have tried a bunch of different workarounds that allegedly can help for other games (gamescope, -popupwindow, borderless mode, proton tricks virtual desktop, etc) but none of it worked for KSP2.

My window manager is KDE Plasma. I finally discovered that settting the in-game graphics option to "WINDOWED" and setting the KDE KWM (i.e. K window manager) to Fullscreen for the application shows some promise as a work around but the game seems to be somewhat less stable when set up like this. 

Edit: @Davidian1024One benefit of doing this is it stops KSP2 minimizing whenever it loses focus 

Edited by Kaa253
Found above post

On 2/25/2023 at 4:59 PM, vermokus said:

What I noticed is that when I push a control key for a long time it fills up some cache, and until that cache runs out, any keypresses are ignored. Due to the 10-12 fps this results overcorrections very quickly. I'll try to make a video so i can report it as a bug.

I think I may have a fix for this input issue.  Add PROTON_NO_XIM=1 to the game's launch options.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, .42. said:

the worst of the worst is a bug that persisted from before the patch and got 1000 times worse with the new patch, rendering the game entirely unplayable: long press inputs such as steering a rocket completely messes up the input queue of the game engine. 5 seconds pressing left translates to 15-25 seconds of pressing left, ignoring all inputs until that now way too long steering input is completed. after that it executes all key presses one after another, from map on off on off on off to esc menu on off on off on off to time ,.,.,. but if you press right to counteract the over steer that was induced, the problem compounds and the game gets worse and worse and worse.

at some time you just watch the game seemingly played by somebody else, of course since esc is not even elevated over other key inputs in ksp2, pressing that does nothing during that time.

I think I may have a fix for this input issue.  Add PROTON_NO_XIM=1 to the game's launch options.

On 4/20/2023 at 4:43 AM, Davidian1024 said:

Awesome, thank you. Maybe because of the latest upgrade or because this setting the fps became borderline playable.

7 hours ago, vermokus said:

Awesome, thank you. Maybe because of the latest upgrade or because this setting the fps became borderline playable.

I feel like this issue either directly makes the fps worse, or makes it feel like the fps is worse than it actually is.

4 hours ago, Davidian1024 said:

I feel like this issue either directly makes the fps worse, or makes it feel like the fps is worse than it actually is.

I have both steam and the game to show the fps, it went from 4-5 to 15-20 on the ground, more on orbit.

Hi Guys,

So here is my take on the whole Proton thing... Cant wait for the linux version if it comes tho.....

System:

Proton: 8.02 with steam
Arch Linux
newest mesa 23.03
Radeon RX 6950 XT 16GB
X11, no wayland
kernel: 6.2.12-arch1-1
64GB RAM DDR5 (non OC)
NVME
CPU: AMD 7700x Little bit undervolted -15 via curve optimizer max 5.5Ghz in proc/cpuinfo

I start the game directly from steam with Proton 8.02 (set in compatibility settings)

All graphics on "High" /Maxed out.

4k resolution.

Launch Command: 

DXVK_ASYNC=1 PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATION=1 WINE_CPU_TOPOLOGY=4:0,1,2,3 PROTON_NO_XIM=1 eval $( echo "%command%" | sed "s/PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/KSP2_x64.exe'/" ) -screen-quality Fastest gamemoderun

What works:

- Video at a new Campaign start (seems to be troublesome with Proton 8.02 for others.)

- Tutorials with sound, animation and video.

- Build an easy rocket an launch it. Did not test further i want to wait till reentry heating is a thing. Game felt stable 

What does not work:

- Mangohud , when i use it the games crashes when loading the KSC. I used in ingame FPS counter.

- When the game loses focus it minimizes. (Useing KDE/Plasma/Kwin)

- Tutorials not translated yet to other languages

FPS:

Menu; 60 , VAB: 80, at the KSC launchpad: 34, in flight low(cloud height): 24 in flight medium high (above clouds): 37-45, splashdown: 35

It does not feel sluggish or anything. Rockets load fast onto the pad. Even in 4k res. So Stutters.

Biggest showstopper for me:

- need to figure out how to scroll up and down in the VAB, Shift mouse wheel does not work anymore....

- The focus loss is a bummer if you have two monitors like me.

- I want reentry heating....

The Launch command i cobbled together from various internet sources, reddit, google sheet for linux players of KSP2 (lost the link if anyone has it would love to get it!), github bug page for KSP, ProtonDB.

Explanation:

- -screen-quality Fastest = Seems to have a big Performance impact. From the KSP Google sheet. Confirmed in Reddit that it should help with performance.
- DXVK_ASYNC=1 = Compile Game Shaders of screen, See: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2809282853
- PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 = Seems to break the game?, but did not try to enable it. Got this from ProtonDB Happy to got it running first. If this is fixed in 8.02 it could give a perf bump i think. More info: https://github.com/zfigura/wine/blob/esync/README.esync
- __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATION=1 = Seems to be helping from ProtonDB, more info: https://www.phoronix.com/review/nvidia-t2015-optimizations
- WINE_CPU_TOPOLOGY=4:0,1,2,3 = Unity games run with better performance in Proton/Wine if you cap your CPUs, I Guess they are not used to more in the Windows world....
- PROTON_NO_XIM=1 = Fixes input issues

I did not do too much tinkering with the options. I think its worth a shot to try out esync but i was happy to get it running first.

Options that i also saw but did not try out if the have a perfomance inpact:

-  LC_ALL=C = I guess this could be helpful in crash situations ? Any info about performance impact ?
- PROTON_LOG=1 = Should not have an impact on performance
- RADV_PERFTEST=aco = should be enabled by the newer mesa by default.

Feel free to test some more and report back. Would love to get some hints to make it even more playable. Thanks! And Fly save

Edited by ManuxKerb

2 hours ago, ManuxKerb said:

- Video at a new Campaign start (seems to be troublesome with Proton 8.02 for others.)

I will confirm that videos are still not working for me even with Proton 8 and even with your launch options. Weird to see Kerbin so barren too, but it does boost my framerate slightly.

- When the game loses focus it minimizes.

Same thing here. Annoying to deal with.

- need to figure out how to scroll up and down in the VAB, Shift mouse wheel does not work anymore....

Hold middle click and drag. Alternatively, middle clicking on a part centers the camera on it. Sometimes you do both together without meaning to.

Middle click and drag also works on the map.

20 hours ago, Wetzelrad said:

I will confirm that videos are still not working for me even with Proton 8 and even with your launch options. Weird to see Kerbin so barren too, but it does boost my framerate slightly.

Same thing here. Annoying to deal with.

Hold middle click and drag. Alternatively, middle clicking on a part centers the camera on it. Sometimes you do both together without meaning to.

Middle click and drag also works on the map.

Hi

I think the video thing has more to do with codecs than Unity itself. There are very good video codecs out there and it would be insane of unity to not use them. So if you can not play the video file with the codec in your normal DE the video in Unity will not play as well. Here is a good site to read some more: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/VideoSources-FileCompatibility.html

I looked around in the KSP2 folder structure and my best guess is that they use webm files with the vp8 codec. I installed a excrementsload of codecs for other reasons and i can play those files (not from KSP2 tho as the have another header...) could you make sure to install those codecs and try again. Its maybe worth ti to install a h265 decoder also. 

What do you mean with barren Kerbin ? How should it look ?

Edited by ManuxKerb

@ManuxKerb I noodled around with it for a while. What I got out of the proton log is this:

winegstreamer error: decodebin0: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
winegstreamer error: decodebin0: ../src-gst_base/gst/playback/gstdecodebin2.c(4719): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstBin:bin0/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0:
no suitable plugins found:
Missing decoder: MPEG-4 AAC (audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)4, framed=(boolean)true, stream-format=(string)raw, level=(string)1, base-profile=(string)lc, profile=(string)lc, codec_data=(buffer)1408, rate=(int)16000, channels=(int)1)

I checked my GStreamer plugins, and I seem to have every codec in the world. Beside that, I have no problem playing a mpeg-4 aac file on my desktop. I tried reinstalling plugins, installing other codec programs through protontricks, and several other hopeful solutions.  Not having any luck so far, but I think I'll get by okay without videos anyway.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:37 AM, ManuxKerb said:

When the game loses focus it minimizes. (Useing KDE/Plasma/Kwin)

And worse still in my experience a few seconds after it minimizes it goes into an irretrievable black screen of death crash.

Like I described before, for this I have found a workaround for multimonitor support with KDE Plasma. For me this is still working perfectly and makes the game playable. At first I thought it was making KSP2 a bit unstable but it has in fact been running along very nicely indeed.  Nearly as good as in Windoze 11. Hopefully the next update will not break it or else better still, will make the workaround unnecessary.  

If you are using Plasma/KWM try making the following tweaks to your window manager . This time I provide the steps in more detail...

• First set the KSP2 in-game graphics option to "WINDOWED" and if required restart KSP2. It may have a titlebar at this point and you don't want that, don't worry keep going...
  • Next press Alt-F3  to open up the KDE Window Manager titlebar menu 
  • Select "More Actions >"
  • Click "Configure Special Application Settings..."
  • As shown in the image below click the "+ Add Property..." button 
  • Scroll down the list to the Size and Position section and click the option "Fullscreen"
  • Change the dropdown list setting from "Apply Initially" to "Force" and tick the "Yes" tickbox.
  • Press "OK". That's it! Fullscreen no boarders or title bars, move the mouse outside the window to another application, nothing stops in KSP2 and no minimizing to an icon. 
  • In the KSP2 audio settings there is a tab-away audio mute option if you want that

Nyx1s4J.jpg

Good luck? Notice how everything is actually reconfigurable in Plasma, it's the best :) 

I am on KUbuntu 22.04 ,  Steam, Force use Proton 7.0-6 and GPU is RX 6700 10 Gb 1080p resolution (monitor max).
Launch options are;
eval $( echo "mangohud RADV_PERFTEST=aco DXVK_ASYNC=1 gamemoderun %command%" | sed "s/PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/KSP2_x64.exe'/" )

If anyone follows this then I am interested to know does it work for you? Can you follow the steps in my description okay?
Is there an equivalent setup for non-Plasma/KDE Users? Is it needed for other desktop managers and if so is there way to do this in Pop!_OS GNOME for example?
Does Linux distro matter? Does GPU model matter? Do we find that your mileage may vary?

On 4/26/2023 at 5:37 AM, ManuxKerb said:

- Mangohud , when i use it the games crashes when loading the KSC.

Oh and Mangohud seems to be working perfectly fine everywhere in game , at least for me. KSP2's high GPU demand made me install Mangohud for the first time ever. I like it!

Edited by Kaa253
Update

13 hours ago, Wetzelrad said:

I checked my GStreamer plugins, and I seem to have every codec in the world. Beside that, I have no problem playing a mpeg-4 aac file on my desktop. I tried reinstalling plugins, installing other codec programs through protontricks, and several other hopeful solutions.  Not having any luck so far, but I think I'll get by okay without videos anyway.

19 hours ago, ManuxKerb said:

I installed a excrementsload of codecs for other reasons and i can play those files (not from KSP2 tho as the have another header...) could you make sure to install those codecs and try again. Its maybe worth ti to install a h265 decoder also. 

You have probably already got 
gstreamer1.0-libav              and
ffmpeg

For other games I installed the libavcodec58 package. At least that's what it is called for Ubuntu variants.
Provides;
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavcodec.so.58
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavcodec.so.58.134.100

Maybe?

23 hours ago, Wetzelrad said:

Looks like I have that one, plus another copy of it in my steam directory.

Hi

I looked on the internet and found this: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=30221

Read it but the main poaints are you need the 32 bit libs ob your gstreamer plugins and the versions of those plugins must match together.

-> Check that all your GStreamer packages: gstreamer + gstreamer base+good+bad+ugly plugins (32-bit + 64-bit); are exactly version matched

On 4/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, Kaa253 said:

And worse still in my experience a few seconds after it minimizes it goes into an irretrievable black screen of death crash.

Like I described before, for this I have found a workaround for multimonitor support with KDE Plasma. For me this is still working perfectly and makes the game playable. At first I thought it was making KSP2 a bit unstable but it has in fact been running along very nicely indeed.  Nearly as good as in Windoze 11. Hopefully the next update will not break it or else better still, will make the workaround unnecessary.  

If you are using Plasma/KWM try making the following tweaks to your window manager . This time I provide the steps in more detail...

• First set the KSP2 in-game graphics option to "WINDOWED" and if required restart KSP2. It may have a titlebar at this point and you don't want that, don't worry keep going...
  • Next press Alt-F3  to open up the KDE Window Manager titlebar menu 
  • Select "More Actions >"
  • Click "Configure Special Application Settings..."
  • As shown in the image below click the "+ Add Property..." button 
  • Scroll down the list to the Size and Position section and click the option "Fullscreen"
  • Change the dropdown list setting from "Apply Initially" to "Force" and tick the "Yes" tickbox.
  • Press "OK". That's it! Fullscreen no boarders or title bars, move the mouse outside the window to another application, nothing stops in KSP2 and no minimizing to an icon. 
  • In the KSP2 audio settings there is a tab-away audio mute option if you want that

Nyx1s4J.jpg

Good luck? Notice how everything is actually reconfigurable in Plasma, it's the best :) 

I am on KUbuntu 22.04 ,  Steam, Force use Proton 7.0-6 and GPU is RX 6700 10 Gb 1080p resolution (monitor max).
Launch options are;
eval $( echo "mangohud RADV_PERFTEST=aco DXVK_ASYNC=1 gamemoderun %command%" | sed "s/PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/KSP2_x64.exe'/" )

If anyone follows this then I am interested to know does it work for you? Can you follow the steps in my description okay?
Is there an equivalent setup for non-Plasma/KDE Users? Is it needed for other desktop managers and if so is there way to do this in Pop!_OS GNOME for example?
Does Linux distro matter? Does GPU model matter? Do we find that your mileage may vary?

Oh and Mangohud seems to be working perfectly fine everywhere in game , at least for me. KSP2's high GPU demand made me install Mangohud for the first time ever. I like it!

Works like a charm! Thanks! yeah KDE is cool because of the customization.

The Audio Tab button does nothing for me if i just move the mouse out of the window....

Has anybody experience with mods ?

I tried to use a few but the one one i see working is the "no seizure warning" one.

All others do not work.

Part mods do not show up and the KER clone mod is also not in the AppBar.

Do i miss something ? 

AFAIK there is no ckan at the moment for ksp2 to handle dependencies... right ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Everything works perfectly fine for me except for the videos. I'm new to KSP and never played KSP 1, and I don't know how to fly a rocket so I need all the help I can get. If anyone knows an outside source with the tutorial videos, or where I could find them in the game files, please let me know. I've already looked, and haven't found anything

I had those video issues, solved it with the following settings on Steam:

In your Library, open the KSP2 page.

Click the Manage icon, select Properties...

In the GENERAL tab uses these launch options: eval $( echo "LC_ALL=C PROTON_LOG=1 %command%" | sed "s/PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/KSP2_x64.exe'/" )

In the compatibility tab, check Force the use of specific...  and choose Proton 7.0-6

• 2 months later...

Hi

For path 0.1.5 i needed this to start with LC_ALL=C and not freeze in the loading screen. So my full command looks like:

LC_ALL=C  DXVK_ASYNC=1 PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATION=1 WINE_CPU_TOPOLOGY=4:0,1,2,3 PROTON_NO_XIM=1 eval $( echo "%command%" | sed "s/PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/KSP2_x64.exe'/" ) -screen-quality Fantastic gamemoderun

Also i don't hear engine sounds or music ingame. But i hear the menu sounds....

Anyone has that problem ?

Thanks!

Edited by ManuxKerb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.