Colonies strongly imply life support is coming... right?

cephalo

I took a look at the dll files to see if there are any existing references to life support for colonies.

• It has population min and max, power generation, science total variables being referenced but nothing that looks like life support resources

It does have the following:

• Colonies will have staff with what looks like veteran or nonveteran status
  • There is an OAB called GroundColonyBAE with 3 variants
  • There is a lot of code for creating and managing delivery routes
  • Ore is a resource type listed and parts have cost values apparently (referencing resource costs)
  • There are difficulty settings for part cost scaling and a "AllResourcesDiscovered" option
Edited by Basketcase

• 2 weeks later...

"We've talked about it a lot, and for the moment, we don't think life support will add much to gameplay for the majority of users. We expect that when modding is more accessible, that gap will be filled for those that want it." (wording not 100% accurate) - Nate Simpson on AMA

4 minutes ago, Jarin said:

"We've talked about it a lot, and for the moment, we don't think life support will add much to gameplay for the majority of users. We expect that when modding is more accessible, that gap will be filled for those that want it." (wording not 100% accurate) - Nate Simpson on AMA

Disappointing. I think it should be added but used as an efficiency model, as in a colony is 50% efficient for transport and recourses if the life support is 50% met (or similar)

21 hours ago, Jarin said:

But how else am I gonna to give my kerbals snacks?! :o

Edited by Little 908

On 3/24/2023 at 9:50 AM, Jarin said:

Kerbal photosynthesis confirmed!!11!!!! 

On 3/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, Basketcase said:

I took a look at the dll files to see if there are any existing references to life support for colonies.

• It has population min and max, power generation, science total variables being referenced but nothing that looks like life support resources

Seems the answer was before us all this time   :confused:

On 3/10/2023 at 3:39 PM, cephalo said:

What's the point of a colony if Kerbals are just over there doing and needing nothing? There's gotta be an official  life support system right?

I *hope* so because the lack of basic needs for Kerbals is one of the most immersion breaking things in the stock game. No disrespect toward the developers intended, but something akin to Kerbalism should be part of the base experience, with options that can be toggled and tweaked before starting a game.

Personally, I like the idea of a Snacks resource- along with Fresh Air and having to deal with Stress accumulated from being in confined spaces. But I'm biased. I think once resources- and official modding support- are in the game I'll have a better idea of how a "Snacks 2" could work. I've heard a lot of complaints that Snacks (in KSP 1) was too simplistic- even though I addressed that- but maybe that's something that could be addressed in KSP 2 as well...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.