Micro Engineer [v1.8.1 for KSP2 v0.2.1]

Falki

For Micro Engineer v1.6.1 dependencies are Space Warp 1.7.0 and UITK for KSP2 v2.4.1

"version": "1.6.1",
    "version_check": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Micrologist/MicroEngineer/main/Staging/BepInEx/plugins/micro_engineer/swinfo.json",
    "dependencies": [
        {
            "id":  "com.github.x606.spacewarp",
            "version": {
            "min": "1.7.0",
            "max": "*"
            }
        },
        {
            "id":  "UitkForKsp2",
            "version": {
            "min": "2.4.1",
            }
        }
    ],
    "ksp2_version": {
        "min": "0.2.0",
    }

On 1/4/2024 at 3:33 PM, munix said:

Is there any reason to stick with SpaceWarp 1.6? The newest version of Micro Engineer definitely works fine with SpaceWarp 1.7.

I updated CKAN today (I had to force the update, it didn't do so on startup as it should have according to the settings), to 1.34.4, "Niven".  The reason I didn't see these updated versions may have had something to do with needing this update, because with this updated CKAN I can now see MicroEngineer 1.6.1, as well as SpaceWarp 1.7.0 and UITK 2.4.1.  I updated everything to these latest, and looks like I'm good to go now.

2 hours ago, Poppa Wheelie said:

I updated CKAN today (I had to force the update, it didn't do so on startup as it should have according to the settings), to 1.34.4, "Niven".  The reason I didn't see these updated versions may have had something to do with needing this update, because with this updated CKAN I can now see MicroEngineer 1.6.1, as well as SpaceWarp 1.7.0 and UITK 2.4.1.  I updated everything to these latest, and looks like I'm good to go now.

Ah yeah, that's definitely the case, CKAN had an update that's needed to get the latest versions of mods, I forgot about that.

I'm running into an issue where all of Micro Engineer's in-flight stats become blanked out mid-mission (they just show a  dash). It's been happening after docking a lander back to the main ship that's in orbit around the body. The only way I've been able to fix it is to totally quit the entire game. Save/reload alone doesn't fix it, neither does going to the tracking station and back. The stats are blank for other ships, too, including new launches.

The in-VAB stats still work, it's only the in-flight ones. Anyone else run into these kinds of issues?

3 hours ago, adaniel87 said:

I'm running into an issue where all of Micro Engineer's in-flight stats become blanked out mid-mission (they just show a  dash). It's been happening after docking a lander back to the main ship

Yes, it seems to sometimes happen after docking. I need to investigate the root cause.

v1.7.0 Fixes and Lat/Lon in decimal format

• Fixed a bug that sometimes caused Micro Engineer to stop refreshing values after docking vessels or targeting another vessel
  • Added 2 new entries:
    • Surface category:
      • Latitude (dec): shows latitude, but in decimal format
      • Longitude (dec): shows longitude, but in decimal format

Note: new entries do not show in the active window by default. If you want them, add them via the Edit window (gear icon)

HkbO1iV.png

4 hours ago, Falki said:

v1.7.0 Fixes and Lat/Lon in decimal format

• Fixed a bug that sometimes caused Micro Engineer to stop refreshing values after docking vessels or targeting another vessel
  • Added 2 new entries:
    • Surface category:
      • Latitude (dec): shows latitude, but in decimal format
      • Longitude (dec): shows longitude, but in decimal format

Note: new entries do not show in the active window by default. If you want them, add them via the Edit window (gear icon)

HkbO1iV.png

wow, that was quick! I loaded into a save and did a quick docking, and it does look like it you got it, works fine now. Thanks!

Hi, I think I've found a bug. So, in the VAB you can expand the staging menu and choose for which body the TWR and delta of your engines should be displayed, right?

If you set the reference body to anything other than Kerbin, it messes with the TWR/delta info of MicE, basically the mod applies the TWR multiplier to whatever number is shown in the staging menu, even if it's already modified. For example, if you set the reference body to Dres in both menus, MicE will report the TWR as TWR_Kerbin*(Kerbin_gravity/Dres_gravity)^2 instead of the correct TWR_Kerbin*(Kerbin_gravity/Dres_gravity)^1.

It's not exactly game-breaking since the solution is simply to only change the reference body in the MicE window, but it took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

I'll try to pull up a screenshot tomorrow.

Edited by Deadly_Laser

7 hours ago, Deadly_Laser said:

Hi, I think I've found a bug. If you set the reference body to anything other than Kerbin, it messes with the TWR/delta info of MicE

Uh, you're right. Seems they changed DeltaVStageInfo values in 0.2.0 I'll take a look at what needs to be fixed.

A quick quality of life suggestion: I make my rockets top-down, like I think most of us do, so when I'm making a lander and set the reference Celestial Body in Micro Engineer in the VAB to the Mun, for instance, I'd love it if, after adding a new stage under the lander, if Micro Engineer would keep the Mun setting on the last stage, instead of shifting it down and having the Mun apply to the new stage, as it does now

I hope that made sense?

v1.7.1 OAB fixes

• Fix OAB TWR and DeltaV calculations if celestial body is changed in the stock dv tool - reported by @Deadly_Laser
    • Explanation of the solution: if another body is selected in the game's dv tool, then Micro Engineer's body dropdown will be locked to that selected body. If body in the game's dv tool is switched back to Kerbin, then Micro Engineer's body dropdown will be unlocked too.
  • OAB stages now keep their selected body - requested by @adaniel87
    • Note: this update can take a while, up to a few seconds - no need to report this.
  • Replaced region names with the localized version (e.g. BiggestCrater -> Rayed Crater) - reported by @missiah

2 minutes ago, Falki said:

v1.7.1 OAB fixes

• Fix OAB TWR and DeltaV calculations if celestial body is changed in the stock dv tool - reported by @Deadly_Laser
    • Explanation of the solution: if another body is selected in the game's dv tool, then Micro Engineer's body dropdown will be locked to that selected body. If body in the game's dv tool is switched back to Kerbin, then Micro Engineer's body dropdown will be unlocked too.
  • OAB stages now keep their selected body - requested by @adaniel87
    • Note: this update can take a while, up to a few seconds - no need to report this.
  • Replaced region names with the localized version (e.g. BiggestCrater -> Rayed Crater) - reported by @missiah

Nice!

Oh, and it looks like the time zone bug in CKAN is finally gone

Edited by Deadly_Laser

• 2 weeks later...

First, thanks for the mod!! It's awesome.

On 3/27/2023 at 3:13 PM, Falki said:

For Torque to display CoT & CoM indicators must be turned on

Then, this is my own personal opinion, i struggled with this even though it's pretty clear in the post... actually, never read it... After coming to the forum to try and find if i'm doing something wrong or it's a known bug... i realize my mistake... Anyway i would suggest always having the torque reading enabled if at all possible unless it requires those indicators to do the calculation, otherwise i would suggest re-writing the quoted sentence in SHOUTY CAPS for the other players that have a problem reading :valwink:

(I do realize not reading is entirely my own fault, however i can imagine i'm not the only one who didn't read)

51 minutes ago, GabeTeuton said:

i would suggest re-writing the quoted sentence in SHOUTY CAPS for the other players that have a problem reading :valwink:

Maybe there should be a text message in the torque line of the UI prompting you to enable the indicators if they're off

58 minutes ago, GabeTeuton said:

Anyway i would suggest always having the torque reading enabled if at all possible unless it requires those indicators to do the calculation, otherwise i would suggest re-writing the quoted sentence in SHOUTY CAPS for the other players that have a problem reading :valwink:

It's required. Micro Engineer is doing torque calculations from the thrust and center of mass values that the game is providing. Unfortunatelly, the game is providing those values only if those indicators are turned on. Another approach would be to calculate those values manually, but that complicates things, so it's for another time (when someone more clever tackles this ;)). Or for another mod, like "RCS build aid" is doing in KSP1.

4 minutes ago, Deadly_Laser said:

Maybe there should be a text message in the torque line of the UI prompting you to enable the indicators if they're off

Yeah, I should do that. Thanks.

Hi, I noticed  that your mod is shown in the tracking center without being useful as you can't select any vessel. Is possible to make it show only in flight and VAB? The mod window is quite big and is always covering something more useful.

1 hour ago, zande said:

Hi, I noticed  that your mod is shown in the tracking center without being useful as you can't select any vessel. Is possible to make it show only in flight and VAB? The mod window is quite big and is always covering something more useful.

There are some cases that it's useful. For example I find the Target window that shows Phase and Transfer angles invaluable; I always use it since you can warp to higher warp factors there.

Problem is that currently we don't have a way of opening apps in the tracking center. For now, I suggest closing the window if it's in the way.

@Falki bug report:

Atm. Density units seems incorrect at high altitudes.    At Kerbin sea level, the units are g/L, and then transitions to mg/L. That part is fine. But then it seems to revert back to g/L again for densities below 1 mg/L.  It should go to microgram/L, shouldn't it?  Or stay at mg/L and rely on the decimal point for desired accuracy?

Edited by rogerawong

1 hour ago, rogerawong said:

@Falki bug report:

Atm. Density units seems incorrect at high altitudes.    At Kerbin sea level, the units are g/L, and then transitions to mg/L. That part is fine. But then it seems to revert back to g/L again for densities below 1 mg/L.  It should go to microgram/L, shouldn't it?  Or stay at mg/L and rely on the decimal point for desired accuracy?

Eagle eyed (or Falcon eyed in my language) :)

https://github.com/Falki-git/MicroEngineer/commit/57f4379b166dc23233762ac8abec7bf08fd20192

Thx!

Thanks, Falki!

And if you're taking feature requests, I'd like to propose adding vessel Weight (N).   We have Mass (kg) , but I find myself having to pause the game periodically to derive weight by dividing Thrust by TWR

My use case is that I want to compare total drag to weight so that I know when I am reaching or passing terminal velocity in atmosphere during vertical ascent. 

EDIT:

Falki, it turns out calculating weight using the displayed Thrust and TWR results in just a fraction of the weight compared to multiplying the mass by the gravity of Kerbin.  What might be causing this discrepancy? This is question for anyone, not just Falki.

mBhVhEQ.jpg

Edited by rogerawong

Will this mod show minimum distance to target (for docking)?  I have to leave my map view screen open when doing orbital rendezvous in order to see that I'm actually decreasing my distance to the target I want to dock with.