Overaggressive "mission failures"

The damned mission failed screen pops up just way too aggressively! You can't even have a single tiny part break off without the mission supposedly failing, even if the craft would work just fine without it! This is simply unfun and works against the kerbal spirit of not letting failures slow you down.

At the extreme, when i try to launch a specific one of my rockets, it rests on the launchpad for a couple of seconds and- bam! The mission is supposedly failed, because according to the fail screen, a linkage supposedly broke! And the game doesn't even have autostrut or rigid attachment ability which could fix the damn thing, and i'm not even sure if it actually broke! It does look fine! 

23 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

The damned mission failed screen pops up just way too aggressively! You can't even have a single tiny part break off without the mission supposedly failing, even if the craft would work just fine without it! This is simply unfun and works against the kerbal spirit of not letting failures slow you down.

At the extreme, when i try to launch a specific one of my rockets, it rests on the launchpad for a couple of seconds and- bam! The mission is supposedly failed, because according to the fail screen, a linkage supposedly broke! And the game doesn't even have autostrut or rigid attachment ability which could fix the damn thing, and i'm not even sure if it actually broke! It does look fine! 

it is actually true when it says a part broke. I remember seeing a YouTuber once getting around this bug he had on his spaceplane by (i think) clicking off to the side, and then somehow regetting control of the vehicle. He then proceeded as normal and took off...

that's when his right wing fell off.

23 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

...and i'm not even sure if it actually broke! It does look fine! 

Go to map view, or to the tracking station. Find the piece of debris your craft is now named, and click the button that allows you to "control" it.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:11 AM, Maria Sirona said:

At the extreme, when i try to launch a specific one of my rockets, it rests on the launchpad for a couple of seconds and- bam! The mission is supposedly failed, because according to the fail screen, a linkage supposedly broke!

This happened to me too. If you lose a single part, even near the very end of your mission, it disables staging and says “mission failed.” Not only is this against the kerbal spirit, it’s also annoying, and incredibly unrealistic. When the oxygen tank exploded on Apollo 13, did they say “mission failed,” and revert to the VAB?

18 hours ago, BeastHunter said:

This happened to me too. If you lose a single part, even near the very end of your mission, it disables staging and says “mission failed.” Not only is this against the kerbal spirit, it’s also annoying, and incredibly unrealistic. When the oxygen tank exploded on Apollo 13, did they say “mission failed,” and revert to the VAB?

Exactly!

11 hours ago, BeastHunter said:

On a side note, is anyone also annoyed that it says “your vehicle is out of electric charge” when you EVA? I really think Paige needs to be removed or seriously reworked.

It might be useful sometime though, but yes it needs to be less obnoxious and annoying.

(Also PAIGE is just the tutorial (It means you can disable it) so notification message is not related but that's nitpicking)

There are so many little annoying things like this and PAIGE. 

I've been complaining about the unnecessary and immediate Flight Report pop up from day one... And they have never acknowledged the problem.

So please, for the love of all things Kerbal - keep posting stuff like this so that one day they might actually listen

On 4/7/2023 at 12:11 AM, Maria Sirona said:

I would prefer it not pop up at all. Just let the craft come apart and explode if need be, and I can hit escape or some other hotkey when I am ready for my failure report.  In KSP1 the wings could fall off, but you could still activate engines and drive the broken plane down the runway. 

On 4/7/2023 at 1:00 PM, BeastHunter said:

I am not even sure the people working on the game even know about Apollo 13.  It is like when an error pops up on their iphone they just throw it away and buy a new one.  No failures allowed.  They are telling you what you built is a failure even though these are the people that made the utterly pathetic stock vehicles for the game.  These are the people that pat themselves on the back for making a glorifed PS2 game.  How about before berating me for what I built you guys actually make a vehicle that an 8 year old would find cool.  Maybe actually go to school to learn how to program instead of looking up Youtube videos?

1 hour ago, Jason_25 said:

It is like when an error pops up on their iphone they just throw it away and buy a new one.  No failures allowed.

This made me laugh. I agree, they hyped up the failures in all the development videos and now you can’t have them.

1 hour ago, Jason_25 said:

They are telling you what you built is a failure even though these are the people that made the utterly pathetic stock vehicles for the game.

This reminds me of the solar panels on that stock rover. An absolute facepalm moment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.