Track record of the studio and future of KSP2

Ferio

8 hours ago, Meecrob said:

From the wiki:

"Planetary Annihilation received a mixed reception upon release. The game was praised for its ambitious concept, but criticized for playability and overall incompleteness. Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Brendan Caldwell writes: "Planetary Annihilation is a slick, modernised RTS, engineered from the ground up to appeal to the fast-paced, competitive, hotkey-loving esports crowd".[29] PC Gamer's Emanuel Maiberg, experiencing hard to learn gameplay unaided by proper tutorials and disrupted by technical issues, states: "I know there's a great, massive RTS beneath all these issues. I've seen glimpses of it when everything works correctly, but at the moment I can't recommend Planetary Annihilation without a warning that it's bound to disappoint and frustrate, even if you do teach yourself to play it".[30] IGN's Rob Zacny summarizes: "A cool idea about robot armies battling across an entire solar system breaks apart when the realities of controlling multiple worlds at the same time set in"

So the game's harder than a lot of reviewers prefer. That doesn't sound all that bad.

Number scores are nothing. I personally ignore them. One person's 9 is another's 2.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:13 PM, Ferio said:

I know this is probably topic number 1000 regarding future of KSP2, but this video actually confirms the worry I and most likely others have for KSP2 that we wish will not happen.

It's not an attack, but I see very simillair things happen to KSP2.

I'm talking about the second part of the video, starting from 7:49 minutes

How do you see things developing, knowing the track record of the developers now? It looks shockingly identical to their previous games, including comments regarding the games.

Well..... this pretty much confirms the worst case scenario....

12 hours ago, Meecrob said:

I cannot find PA on Steam. I can find PA:Titans, if thats what you mean?

They deleted it when they handed it off to the other company to make Titans, takes a bit of work to find, but here it is.  The image is a clickable link to the archived site, and surprisingly, clicking the reviews works.

6IjJh6B.png

One of the highest rated reviews says:

• "I paid your initial price of 90$ to help you guys get started because I saw potential. Then you release paid dlc for units. Then you ask for more money for an expansion? You will never see another cent from me.  2/10. Do not feed trolls."

The community regretted paying a high price for "potential" as they got screwed.

Other highly rated and potentially foreshadowing reviews:

• "Kickstarted with lots of promises but delivered with less of actual content. Also releasing standalone expansion splits the community and devs think selling the same game twice is brilliant economical move."
  • "So apparently they just came out with an expansion, costs the same as this game, and yet they haven't fixed the problems with this game. What a scummy business."
Edited by Rosten

39 minutes ago, Rosten said:

One of the highest rated reviews says:

• "I paid your initial price of 90$ to help you guys get started because I saw potential. Then you release paid dlc for units. Then you ask for more money for an expansion? You will never see another cent from me.  2/10. Do not feed trolls."

The community regretted paying a high price for "potential" as they got screwed.

Other highly rated and potentially foreshadowing reviews:

• "Kickstarted with lots of promises but delivered with less of actual content. Also releasing standalone expansion splits the community and devs think selling the same game twice is brilliant economical move."
  • "So apparently they just came out with an expansion, costs the same as this game, and yet they haven't fixed the problems with this game. What a scummy business."

Nate put his own review in too... From user 'nateious' :rolleyes:

I've been playing this RTS since the initial alpha release, I've watched it steadily get better and better over time. If you enjoyed Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander this game captures a similar (note: similar, not identical) feel, but with a unique approch using spherical maps (you can have one or multiple planets)

The highlight of this game for me is playing with a group of friends in team games with shared armies. I played a good deal of SupCom / SupCom:FA with friends and while it was fun, it just didn't capture the same feeling of team cooperation that you can get from sharing a single set of units working with your friends. Shared armies lets you split up the management of the game by not forcing any one single person to keep track of everything (and in large games over multiple planets, this can be difficult) Tasks such as economy expansion, scouting and raiding, orbital and multi-planet expansion can be split among teammates. This does require a degree of cooperation as there is a single shared resource pool, but the benefits are well worth it.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:08 AM, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Speaking of reviews… the recent Steam reviews have gone back under 50% positive at 49%, from the 52% all time positive.

This + the decreasing daily player count… it ain’t looking good.

Player count-wise, I haven’t played more than a half hour or so sine April.  On top of work, it’s spring here in the Northern Hemisphere, and I’ve been busy de-winterizing the back deck and back yard, fly fishing, turkey hunting, going bankrupt buying ferns and flowers for my wife, getting the veggie garden in, and explaining No Mow May to the neighbors.  It’s for the pollinators.

I will confess that I’ve never looked, but I wouldn’t be surprised if all games took a player count hit when the weather gets nice.  A lot of people only game when the weather is too bad to do anything better.

20 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

Player count-wise, I haven’t played more than a half hour or so sine April.  On top of work, it’s spring here in the Northern Hemisphere, and I’ve been busy de-winterizing the back deck and back yard, fly fishing, turkey hunting, going bankrupt buying ferns and flowers for my wife, getting the veggie garden in, and explaining No Mow May to the neighbors.  It’s for the pollinators.

I will confess that I’ve never looked, but I wouldn’t be surprised if all games took a player count hit when the weather gets nice.  A lot of people only game when the weather is too bad to do anything better.

Many people play games after work or school in the evening before bed. Few people think about going for a walk instead of a lazy game in a chair in front of a computer, as it is already dark outside. The alternative is on the weekend.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.