[1.12.x] ZTheme v1.1.3 - A dark theme for KSP (2024-02-27)

zapsnh

Hi everyone. After months not playing KSP1 I've been back to business :) I think A6/FM1 was an incentive after all. Thank god she took off, we can finally move forward here on the european's spaceport.

Of course I am playing with ZTheme and a year later when I gave a very modest hand I have fresh eyes on the subject. Here are my thoughts, complains and sometimes suggestions. I try to being as constructive as possible,  I apologize if my comments are a bit blunt. I'm not a native English speaker and I don't always know how to present criticism properly. These should be considered as a few remarks regarding an astonishing and enormous work provided bu the author!

1- Navball Main Marker

This is by far the most annoying point to me because it has a huge impact on my gameplay. The current shape of the marker is gtwo.png
To understand my issue you will have to watch a few seconds of the following video of a RDV tutorial I made : 

As you can see when I perform a RDV, I make some refinements of my trajectory so that I always end up close to my target. The lines of the main marker are a strong help to help with performing these actions. But they can only help if there are aligned with the center of the marker.
So in my games I have updated the icon with this one rb1q.png It is possible that I'll end up with thiner lines and a smaller central point.

2- Navball Green and Red zones
Given the general flat design of the theme, outlines are not very cohesive.
p7ho.png

I have currently no proposal to make, I started to rework the whole thing with Inkscape but there is a lot of work to be done.

3- Reputation in career mode

fuun.png

I think there is too many information here. I have started the design of a cleaner image, not satisfying to my taste at this point.

3htd.png

This is way too simple, the 100 indications have to be present in some way. But beyong being good looking, this image is not very critical for gameplay purposes, we really don't care that much to our reputation when playing in Career mode.

4- Exit Icons

A few icons still have a red outline. Outlines IMHO are not welcome in this theme.

They currently are64ed.png, I am playing with zq5q.png

5- Altitude

I don't know whether we need shadows on the white lines.

Existinguugi.png my file 6aww.png

6- Game Icons (This is my fault, they are my work)

We don't see them that much so they are far from being an issue. But if we follow through with the approach, we should get rid off as many as outlines as possible.

Existing is ScienceSandbox_normal128x128.png?ex=6693 Could be something lighter like ScienceSandbox_normal128x128.png?ex=6693. Work in progress.

Feel free to comment on the proposals and start a dialogue here !

All my work is available at https://github.com/OnlyLightMatters/SrcZTheme

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

9 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

We don't see them that much so they are far from being an issue. But if we follow through with the approach, we should get rid off as many as outlines as possible.

Existing is ScienceSandbox_normal128x128.png?ex=6693 Could be something lighter like ScienceSandbox_normal128x128.png?ex=6693. Work in progress.

The icons should probably have a thicker outline since they are much smaller in-game. (at least at 100% scaling)

11 hours ago, zapsnh said:

The icons should probably have a thicker outline since they are much smaller in-game. (at least at 100% scaling)

Excellent point, I have to test them in a 1920x1200 100% UI configuration.

Last proposal :

bopq.png ymqa.pngxknk.png

I don't like the last one, I can't figure out a simple concept that I can illustrate with one only object/symbol.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2024 at 8:05 AM, OnlyLightMatters said:

p7ho.png

I have currently no proposal to make, I started to rework the whole thing with Inkscape but there is a lot of work to be done.

How about something like this:

nWipkFwH_o.png

Filled and darkened the color a bit in the areas with the outlines, so that the white text is still visible on top.

Posted (edited)

I made these navball 'thumbs' (idk what they're called) that display the throttle/g-force values. You can drag the throttle thumb around and set the throttle with your mouse just like the one in KSP 2!

What do y'all think?

source: https://github.com/zapSNH/ZTheme/tree/main/ZUI/ZUI (GaugeThumbs.cs and ThumbDrag.cs specifically)

(please ignore the misaligned throttle gauge pointer and texture, i'll fix that soon)

Edited by zapsnh

7 hours ago, zapsnh said:

I made these navball 'thumbs' (idk what they're called) that display the throttle/g-force values. You can drag the throttle thumb around and set the throttle with your mouse just like the one in KSP 2!

What do y'all think?

source: https://github.com/zapSNH/ZTheme/tree/main/ZUI/ZUI (GaugeThumbs.cs and ThumbDrag.cs specifically)

(please ignore the misaligned throttle gauge pointer and texture, i'll fix that soon)

That is Awesome! The more you can make the UI like KSP 2 the better.

Edited by SheepDog2142

18 hours ago, zapsnh said:

What do y'all think?

It would be a very welcome addition compared to my messing around with increasing throttle, decreasing throttle, and cutting throttle alongside the engine thrust limiter.

On 8/8/2024 at 1:43 PM, zapsnh said:

What do y'all think?

Nice! That's a great addition - the best thing in it is (imho) that the throttle percentage is given as a number and we no longer have to guess.

If you manage to make the gauges straight, I swear I will redo the Naztheme navball to accomodate straight gauges. (I will probably have a look at it in the next weeks. What would be even better would be to make the gauges relocatable.)

1 hour ago, Nazalassa said:

Nice! That's a great addition - the best thing in it is (imho) that the throttle percentage is given as a number and we no longer have to guess.

What would be even better would be to make the gauges relocatable.

The gauges actually are already relocatable with the object transformer (based off of wheeeUI ;)). You just have to find the name of the gauges' GameObjects. IIRC the names are ThrottleGaugePointer and GeeGaugePointer.

On 7/13/2024 at 10:05 AM, OnlyLightMatters said:

Hi everyone. After months not playing KSP1 I've been back to business :) I think A6/FM1 was an incentive after all. Thank god she took off, we can finally move forward here on the european's spaceport.

Of course I am playing with ZTheme and a year later when I gave a very modest hand I have fresh eyes on the subject. Here are my thoughts, complains and sometimes suggestions. I try to being as constructive as possible,  I apologize if my comments are a bit blunt. I'm not a native English speaker and I don't always know how to present criticism properly. These should be considered as a few remarks regarding an astonishing and enormous work provided bu the author!

1- Navball Main Marker

This is by far the most annoying point to me because it has a huge impact on my gameplay. The current shape of the marker is gtwo.png
To understand my issue you will have to watch a few seconds of the following video of a RDV tutorial I made : 

As you can see when I perform a RDV, I make some refinements of my trajectory so that I always end up close to my target. The lines of the main marker are a strong help to help with performing these actions. But they can only help if there are aligned with the center of the marker.
So in my games I have updated the icon with this one rb1q.png It is possible that I'll end up with thiner lines and a smaller central point.

p7ho.png

3- Reputation in career mode

fuun.png

I think there is too many information here. I have started the design of a cleaner image, not satisfying to my taste at this point.

3htd.png

This is way too simple, the 100 indications have to be present in some way. But beyong being good looking, this image is not very critical for gameplay purposes, we really don't care that much to our reputation when playing in Career mode.

4- Exit Icons

A few icons still have a red outline. Outlines IMHO are not welcome in this theme.

They currently are64ed.png, I am playing with zq5q.png

5- Altitude

I don't know whether we need shadows on the white lines.

Existinguugi.png my file 6aww.png

Feel free to comment on the proposals and start a dialogue here !

All my work is available at https://github.com/OnlyLightMatters/SrcZTheme

Looking great!

On 8/8/2024 at 6:43 AM, zapsnh said:

What do y'all think?

I LOVE this addition. It's great visual feedback to ensure accurate precision maneuvering.

I didn't realize that you were continuing work on this mod but I am 100% here for it as this is a must-have for any user. That said, it brings a few questions to mind:

•  Are you looking to further replicate KSP2 UI elements in some form or another?
  • Do you have a "wishlist" of planned/upcoming features + bells and whistles, or are you basing future work on community feedback?
  • Any hard limitations you have experienced with modding  KSP UI elements that users should consider when looking to develop or suggest future enhancements?

6 hours ago, RileyHef said:

Are you looking to further replicate KSP2 UI elements in some form or another?

Probably, depending on how simple they are to implement.

Do you have a "wishlist" of planned/upcoming features + bells and whistles, or are you basing future work on community feedback?

Not really, I just think of features in my head and attempt to implement them. I would gladly consider community feedback if there is some.

Any hard limitations you have experienced with modding  KSP UI elements that users should consider when looking to develop or suggest future enhancements?

Theoretically, you could just rip out the entire KSP UI out and replace it with your own but that would be way too time consuming and also might interfere with other mods that do stuff with the UI.
Aside from that, adding new UI elements often requires cloning an existing UI element and messing with it until you get what you want with it. I could look into making the elements in Unity and importing them in KSP though.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TheHelicopterKid said:

where's the submit to workshop button while using this theme? i cant seem to find it

What does look like without ZTheme? Can you send a screenshot of it (with and without ZTheme)?