Calvinball? More like Spherical Hydrogen Tank-Ball!

Nate Simpson

11 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

...I honestly wonder what was there that this particular rule was brought up lol

So anyway, new dev update soon™ 3 hours or so.

They just posted it it, then removed it.

Title was "happy friday the v0130th"

If it's ready now, post it now!

Edited by WelshSteW

4 hours ago, RaBDawG said:

So now that you have the patch, and half the bugs are not fixed, the 3 most critical bugs not fixed, and now NEW game breaking bugs.  Do you feel the same?

Can’t speak for razark, but on my end, yes.  The game is in EA, which means that it is incomplete and imperfect.  The devs have been working hard at fixing the bugs, and fixed a couple hundred of them in this patch.  The EA plays better now, and although it is still incomplete and imperfect, I expect that it will continue to improve with each patch and roadmap update.

Getting hysterically overwrought because an interim patch didn’t make the EA feature complete and perfect would be unrealistic, silly, overdramatic, and overentitled behaviour on my part and frankly, I’d be ashamed if I did.

17 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

The game is in EA, which means that it is incomplete and imperfect.

Understatement of the year.  Correct, but a pretty large understatement when you look at how bad the game actually is right now.

17 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

fixed a couple hundred of them in this patch

Incorrect.  There were a total of 165 items in this patch, some of which were things that were added (such as new parts).  So it's not a couple hundred.  In fact, only patch 0.1.1.0 had more than 200 things addressed with it.

19 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

The EA plays better now,

Not for all players.  Also, while it may have better performance, there are still major bugs that were reported day 1 that haven't been fixed yet.  In addition, multiple people are reporting new game-breaking bugs that have been introduced with this patch, not the least of which is drag on the command pods.

8 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Understatement of the year.  Correct, but a pretty large understatement when you look at how bad the game actually is right now.

Incorrect.  There were a total of 165 items in this patch, some of which were things that were added (such as new parts).  So it's not a couple hundred.  In fact, only patch 0.1.1.0 had more than 200 things addressed with it.

Not for all players.  Also, while it may have better performance, there are still major bugs that were reported day 1 that haven't been fixed yet.  In addition, multiple people are reporting new game-breaking bugs that have been introduced with this patch, not the least of which is drag on the command pods.

So the glass not only is slightly less fuller than I thought, but it’s the wrong colour glass, and the water tastes funny too?

Y’all need some Marcus Aurelius.

9 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

So the glass not only is slightly less fuller than I thought, but it’s the wrong colour glass, and the water tastes funny too?

Y’all need some Marcus Aurelius.

You made a few incorrect statements.  That's not me telling you the glass isn't full, or the wrong color, or that the water tastes funny.  It's a simple correction of fact.  If that offends you, there's nothing I can do about it.  Truth is truth, my friend.

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

You made a few incorrect statements.  That's not me telling you the glass isn't full, or the wrong color, or that the water tastes funny.  It's a simple correction of fact.  If that offends you, there's nothing I can do about it.  Truth is truth, my friend.

So the truth about the state of the game does indeed matter.  Allow me to rectify - there were 165 bugs fixed, including seven of the top ten (given that only three were carried over to the next patch), and the game continues to improve for most of us, by quick forum count.  The thing that I was at first angered by, then moved to contempt over, and am now just laughing at, is not the state of the game, which is what it is, but the reactions some people have over it.  

We’re all playing the same game (at least I’m playing it), but for whatever reason some of us seem to be reacting very differently.  Some people note the wobbly rockets and build better ones, others get upset.  Some people note the orbital decay and SOI trajectory change wonkiness and plan with more delta v, others get upset.  The devs fix 165 bugs in a given patch, and some of us take it as the game getting better, while other people get upset.  The game goes on sale, and some of us react normally, while other people get upset.  Etc.

The difference is really that some of us seem to be a lot better at managing our reactions to events beyond our control.  So yes, in the face of the truth of the increasingly bug-free, more optimized, and more playable game, I remain not only not upset, but actually optimistic.

On 6/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, Superluminal Gremlin said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you've noticed, people with high-end hardware struggle to run the base game even without RT.  

Yeah I know.

There is no reason for it though except poor coding and optimisation.

If they fix it as some point in the coming years of development trying to get the game to at least KSP1 standards, then ray tracing should be possible.

It's not like the game looks very impressive. It shouldn't be taxing a 4090 at all. I've modded KSP to look far more detailed than KSP2 and the 4090 handles it fine. The limiting factor is definitely the CPU thread optimisation.

2 hours ago, uglyduckling81 said:

I've modded KSP to look far more detailed than KSP2 and the 4090 handles it fine

Lucky you. I've never been able to :(. Well, if optimization is a problem, it (might) be going slowly away. After all, Patch 3 did some positive things to people's frames. 

On 6/19/2023 at 10:52 PM, Alexoff said:

Because of this bug, it is almost impossible to create anything large and complex in the game. Is it possible to follow to Eva and back? Is it possible to do a grand tour of all the planets? I highly doubt it. The players were left with the opportunity only for small crafts, greatly reducing the functionality. But I agree that this is far from the only reason. There are many reasons to quit the game, but few to stay in it and enjoy it.

I have built four stations, and I know of at least one who have made a grand tour of the Jool system and gotten back to Kerbin. I don't think everyone who does that kind of mission posts about it. 

12 hours ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

I have built four stations, and I know of at least one who have made a grand tour of the Jool system and gotten back to Kerbin. I don't think everyone who does that kind of mission posts about it. 

One thing that bugs me a little about the current state of the game is that you can stick a SWERV onto a Calvinball, strap some Clydesdales onto that, and go pretty much anywhere easily without much actual design effort.  It’s great for tourism…

6 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

One thing that bugs me a little about the current state of the game is that you can stick a SWERV onto a Calvinball, strap some Clydesdales onto that, and go pretty much anywhere easily without much actual design effort.  It’s great for tourism…

Said individual used a JUICE replica and made a replica mission, including all the gravity assists. 

But yes, space tourism with hydrogen balls is a bit too easy right now. To each and everyone's choice, one can make it easier for oneself, or spend a lot of time making a beautiful craft that won't necessarily fly (me). 

On 6/16/2023 at 2:00 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Wobbly rockets are sometimes fun and funny. A big part of what originally got many of us hooked on the original KSP was the silliness and emergent problem solving that came from playing World of Goo with rocket parts

What got me and many others I assume is the feeling of accomplishment for getting into orbit that first time or building a rocket with a SRB on one side and not the other.

Wobble was only an annoyance and its even worse now.

I'm starting to lose trust that this game can become greater then Ksp-1.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:00 AM, Nate Simpson said:
  • Wobbly rockets are sometimes fun and funny. A big part of what originally got many of us hooked on the original KSP was the silliness and emergent problem solving that came from playing World of Goo with rocket parts. Broadly, we see this as part of the Kerbal DNA, and want to preserve it in some form. Whether that means limiting wobbliness to certain types or sizes of parts, or relegating certain behaviors to player settings, is the subject of ongoing internal discussion. We of course are following community conversations with keen interest, and this is an area where Early Access participants can have a significant impact on the 1.0 version of KSP2

I don't know if I've ever posted on this account, but with this bullet point I wanted to make my voice heard. I started playing KSP 1 looong before 1.0 and would come back to the game multiple times over the years. One mod that always got installed was the Joint Reinforcement mod. I played with wobbly rockets all of once and decided that I never wanted to do it again. It wasn't funny for me, it was frustrating. 

Respectfully, this feels like a "this is not a bug it's a feature" excuse. I'm with Matt Lowne on this one, I don't see Kerbals as inept space-farers, and I don't find it funny when I'm trying to fly a perfectly reasonable rocket to LKR, only to have it bend over like a slinky. Now, for some people, I'm sure they enjoy the goofiness of wobbly rockets (though I'd argue that they are going to stop playing after a couple of hours if said wobbliness literally keeps them from getting anything substantial to orbit) but in my experience, between the various youtubers I watch, and the people I interact with that also play KSP 1 and 2, wobbly rockets is not a long term attractor to the game, and without a solution to mitigate that that isn't a workaround they're just going to stop playing. 

2 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

What got me and many others I assume is the feeling of accomplishment for getting into orbit that first time or building a rocket with a SRB on one side and not the other.

Wobble was only an annoyance and its even worse now.

I'm starting to lose trust that this game can become greater then Ksp-1.

You're a little behind the curve here - if you look at the latest update from Nate he's acknowledged that it's a high-priority item for the community. Hopefully that means they're looking at alternatives.

7 hours ago, KUAR said:

You're a little behind the curve here - if you look at the latest update from Nate he's acknowledged that it's a high-priority item for the community. Hopefully that means they're looking at alternatives.

I'm trying to make a point more about his attitude towards it.

sorry if I wasn't that clear about that.

but its not "part of the Kerbal DNA" flying rockets is not helplessly watching them become goo.

Edited by Royalswissarmyknife