Camera resets position every time you enter and exit map view

MechBFP

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-8700 | GPU: Geforce 1070Ti | RAM16GB

As per the title, anytime you enter and exit the map view the flight camera gets reset back to its original position, rather than keeping the position before entering map view.

Anth Edit: Adding More Information:

Observed Behavior:
The Flight View camera angle is changing on returning from Map View, and is regularly ending up in the middle of the craft.

Expected Behavior:
When going from Flight View to Map View and than back again, the Flight View camera angle and distance should be identical to what it was before.

Steps to Replicate:

1. Load EveOrbitCameraTestSave.json
  2. Note position
  3. Press M twice
  4. Note change in position
  5. Press M twice
  6. Note camera is now in the middle of the craft

Video Evidence:
https://youtu.be/q89Vot94fn8 (11 Seconds)

Result:
The player has to regularly zoom out again and again.

Edited by Anth12

24 answers to this question

This is still an issue in 0.2, and the camera is even worse or I just noticed its other defects now that I am actually trying to play it.

The other issues with the camera are as follows:

1) Impossible to get an "orbital" camera view (ie the same camera view as the map) when in space.

2) All the current camera views (other than chase) do the exact same thing for some reason when in orbit/space.

3) Switching between flight and map view always resets the camera back to a different camera view than I one I picked. For example, if you use "chase" mode and switch to map and back, it is no longer in chase mode.

4) Dragging the camera with right mouse is too slow and there is no way to change it without changing mouse sensitivity (which impacts the cursor as well).

Most simple way to reproduce:

Build any vessel, go to launchpad, press M for Map and M again -> you camera is 180 degrees off from where it started in the middle of  the launch tower.

Win 10, Steam install, version 0.1.3 (released 2023-06-22), no mods installed

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

This is partially fixed in 1.4. It keeps the same general direction you were looking, which is better, but it does not maintain the exact camera position.

Yes, it does no longer flip around 180 degrees but it resets the translation values to 0 every time you return from map view. So you are looking at your craft exactly from the default position and any camera translation you did before entering map view is reset. Not as annoying as the original bug but very disappointing that this slipped through considering how often you go to the map view and back.

2 hours ago, Vl3d said:

This seems OK for me in 0.1.4 - when toggling map view, the camera defaults to a sensible default zoom centered on the vessel. Is not restoring the exact zoom level / camera orientation when toggling M really a bug that should inherit the previous 30 upvotes?

Yes. 

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-core Processor | GPU: NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM15.91GB

In patch 4 it seems like quicksave-quickload now works properly with remaining camera positions, but going to map view and back still resets the camera.

Not hard to reproduce as it happens literally every time.

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22023-09-0620-29-59.mp4

Edited by Anth12

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Issue:

Switching from the map view to the flight view and back resets the map view camera position. This is made even more annoying because it is zoomed completely in. This causes excessive mouse wheel scrolling to zoom back out to see the maneuver node.

Included Attachments:

On 8/30/2023 at 10:20 PM, MechBFP said:

This is partially fixed in 1.4. It keeps the same general direction you were looking, which is better, but it does not maintain the exact camera position.

This seems OK for me in 0.1.4 - when toggling map view, the camera defaults to a sensible default zoom centered on the vessel. Is not restoring the exact zoom level / camera orientation when toggling M really a bug that should inherit the previous 30 upvotes?

I do not get this bug anymore in 0.1.5

Tried a simple craft and launched it, I zoomed a little out and turned the camera about 30 degrees in each direction so I looked from a little above the vehicle down to the surface. I entered the map multiple times and switched back (always using keyboard "M") and also did stuff on the map like rotating, creating a node etc. When I switched back to the vehicle the camera was exactly where it was before I entered the map mode.

So in this scenario it appears to be fixed completely but I read in the K.E.R.B. topic that they wrote that some refactoring is needed to fix it fully.

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Quite Annoying 99% of the time going from map view to vessel for it to start zoomed in on the COM of the rocket such that its "black or mostly black" and then you have to scroll the camera out.
Sometimes depending on center of mass you get a cool shot like this... but the rest of the time its annoying.

This mainly occures in Kerbol (the star) SOI space when travelling interplanetary, the alternative is  "quirk" is the camera will reset itself to an odd angle where its pointing straight up or down in Kerbol SOI space.

It would be nice if the direction of view was either persistant between the two views or matched the camera angles.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-10870H | GPU: RTX 3070 | RAM16GB

no idea what's triggered it but whenever I return from map view I find myself staring out from the centre of my vessel.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.5GHz | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT | RAM32768MB RAM

Title: Upon opening the map with the M hotkey, and closing it to return to the craft, the camera is fully zoomed in every time I do this.

Severity: Low, you can just Zoom out, just annoying

Frequency: Low, first time it happened.

Description:  Unsure how to reproduce, it started happening after I saved the game right after lifting off from the Mun and making a low Mun Orbit. Then I saved and quit there. After loading later that day, this behavior started.

Included Attachments:

ZoomBug.mkv

OS: Windows 11 Pro | CPU: i9-11900K | GPU: GeForce RTX 4070 Ti | RAM32 GB

When switching between the map screen and vessel, the camera starts inside the vessel. This has only occured to me with this vessel.

Included Attachments:

Caminsidevessel.mp4

quicksave_44.json

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.