[1.12.x] Kerbal Public Radio Service (KPRS) - Beta 0.0.4 released - Now on Spacedock & CKAN

linuxgurugamer

Valentia woke up and stretched.. It was a long mission, but finally was in radio range of the station at Eve.  She turned to the other Kerbal in the spacecraft, “Hey Jebediah, can you turn on the radio to see what’s playing?”
Jeb took a swan dive and did a mid-cabin somersault to get to the radio, grabbed hold of a stanchion to stop his movement, and turned on the radio, and tuned through the static.  “Val, there are 3 stations, I’ll turn on the clearest station”.  The sounds of the station wafted through the air, relaxing both travelers.

KPRS is a set of parts which will allow you to build a transmitter tower and allow you to receive radio stations throughout the Kerbol system.  The contents of the various radio channels are supplied with the mod, although you are able to create your own channels from static files if you like.

Usage

Create one or more transmitters

A radio station will consist of the following:

• Antenna tower, either the composite or the individual pieces constructed on site.  Taller antennas will have greater range.
  • A transmitter box (Note that a transmitter box uses 10 ec/sec)
  • Power supply.  Will need to be able to supply the needs of the transmitter box(es) and amplifiers
  • Optionally one or more amplifiers (each amplifier also needs 10 ec/sec)

1. Create a radio station.  There are three antenna parts, which can be stacked on top of each other to make a taller tower, the taller it is, the greater the range.  There is also a composite antenna, which consists of all the antenna tower parts together which will animate to be raised.
  2. To increase the power of the transmitter, attach multiple TransmitterBases to the antenna
  3. Once placed, right-click on the transmitter base to open the PAW, and then click the button to select a channel
  4. After selecting a channel, you need to activate it, again by right-clicking on the transmitter base to open the PAW and click the activate button

Note:  The transmitter box by itself has a very limited range.  You need to add an antenna tower to get decent range.

Receive radio broadcast

1. To receive, you need an antenna.  Currently all antennas have the ability to receive radio broadcasts, including command pods with built-in antennas.  Also, currently unmanned vessels also allow the receiver to be used
  2. Once on a vessel, click the radio button to open the radio panel
  3. All active channels are listed in the scrollbox.  Click on a channel to select it.
  4. The five buttons right below are to save selected channels.  Right click on a button to either clear or save the current channel

To turn the radio on or off, click the power button on the left, the led to the left of the button will toggle between red for off and green for on

The lettered buttons currently are not implemented.  

The dial at the right is the volume dial.  You can adjust the volume either by clicking on the dial, or by using the ^ and v buttons just to the lower left of it

Availability

Dependencies

TODO

• Receivers are now using EC, still need to be tuned
  • Background Processing regarding EC usage on the transmitter stations has not yet been implemented
  • Would be nice to get more radio stations
  • Need to add  Ease-in/Ease-out for going EVA, coming back from EVA, changing vessels

Acknowledgements

Note for Streamers

Some of the audio streams may  trigger copyright claims, so be aware that you might have a problem with them.   I did get full permission for the audio stream I got from Steve Lehto, but there are others, I've been told that these (Gaia, Oceans of Time)  may be issues

Support

The Logs

These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long.  DON'T paste the entire log into a thread post! That unnecessarily bloats the thread. Here is where you can find the log:

Windows:    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log

Mac OS X:    Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'Reports'. Scroll down the list and find the one which says 
            "Log Reports", click that.  A list of files will be displayed in the top part of the window, in there will be 
            Player.Log ( Files>~/Library/    Logs>Unity>Player.log ).  Right-click on it and select "Reveal in Finder".

Linux:        ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Edited by linuxgurugamer

53 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

This is really cool, thanks LGG! I guess I'm not quite sure how the copyright would work, but there's all sorts of fun things in the Old Time Radio section of archive.org, including full runs of radio dramas like The Shadow, and they're free to download because it's all way out of copyright.

Would you like to set up your own channel?

44 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Would you like to set up your own channel?

If I can find the time to do that, it would actually be a reasonably fun project. "Welcome to Krakatoa AM, erupting out of your radio no matter where you might be out there in the cold, cold cosmos."

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Valentia woke up and stretched.. It was a long mission, but finally was in radio range of the station at Eve.  She turned to the other Kerbal in the spacecraft, “Hey Jebediah, can you turn on the radio to see what’s playing?”
Jeb took a swan dive and did a mid-cabin somersault to get to the radio, grabbed hold of a stanchion to stop his movement, and turned on the radio, and tuned through the static.  “Val, there are 3 stations, I’ll turn on the clearest station”.  The sounds of the station wafted through the air, relaxing both travelers.

KPRS is a set of parts which will allow you to build a transmitter tower and allow you to receive radio stations throughout the Kerbol system.  The contents of the various radio channels are supplied with the mod, although you are able to create your own channels from static files if you like.

Usage

Create one or more transmitters

A radio station will consist of the following:

• Antenna tower, either the composite or the individual pieces constructed on site.  Taller antennas will have greater range.
  • A transmitter box (Note that a transmitter box uses 10 ec/sec)
  • Power supply.  Will need to be able to supply the needs of the transmitter box(es) and amplifiers
  • Optionally one or more amplifiers (each amplifier also needs 10 ec/sec)

1. Create a radio station.  There are three antenna parts, which can be stacked on top of each other to make a taller tower, the taller it is, the greater the range.  There is also a composite antenna, which consists of all the antenna tower parts together which will animate to be raised.
  2. To increase the power of the transmitter, attach multiple TransmitterBases to the antenna
  3. Once placed, right-click on the transmitter base to select a channel
  4. After selecting a channel, you need to activate it, again by right-clicking on the transmitter base

Note:  The transmitter box by itself has a very limited range.  You need to add an antenna tower to get decent range.

Receive radio broadcast

1. To receive, you need an antenna.  Currently all antennas have the ability to receive radio broadcasts, including command pods with built-in antennas.  Also, currently unmanned vessels also allow the receiver to be used
  2. Once on a vessel, click the radio button to open the radio panel
  3. All active channels are listed in the scrollbox.  Click on a channel to select it.
  4. The five buttons right below are to save selected channels.  Right click on a button to either clear or save the current channel

To turn the radio on or off, click the power button on the left, the led to the left of the button will toggle between red for off and green for on

The lettered buttons currently are not implemented.  

The dial at the right is the volume dial.  You can adjust the volume either by clicking on the dial, or by using the ^ and v buttons just to the lower left of it

Availability

Dependencies

TODO

• Currently the receivers do not use EC, that has not yet been implemented
  • Background Processing regarding EC usage on the transmitter stations has not yet been implemented
  • Would be nice to get more radio stations

Acknowledgements

Note for Streamers

Some of the audio streams may  trigger copyright claims, so be aware that you might have a problem with them.   I did get full permission for the audio stream I got from Steve Lehto, but there are others, I've been told that these (Gaia, Oceans of Time)  may be issues

Support

The Logs

These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long.  DON'T paste the entire log into a thread post! That unnecessarily bloats the thread. Here is where you can find the log:

Windows:    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log

Mac OS X:    Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'Reports'. Scroll down the list and find the one which says 
            "Log Reports", click that.  A list of files will be displayed in the top part of the window, in there will be 
            Player.Log ( Files>~/Library/    Logs>Unity>Player.log ).  Right-click on it and select "Reveal in Finder".

Linux:        ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Hey don't forget how I wrangled everyone for audio and made the radio in the first place  :)

8 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

If I can find the time to do that, it would actually be a reasonably fun project. "Welcome to Krakatoa AM, erupting out of your radio no matter where you might be out there in the cold, cold cosmos."

I'm the one in charge of handling new channels :)
Give me the audio file of you saying  "Welcome to Krakatoa AM, erupting out of your radio no matter where you might be out there in the cold, cold cosmos" in spanish: 
"Bienvenido a Krakatoa AM, saliendo de tu radio sin importar dónde te encuentres en el frío, frío cosmos". (You can use this for pronunciation :) )

and also give me a list of the track you want to use and their licenses

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I did credit you, didn't I?

Not to the complete extent that I'd wished to receive?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an issue in which the toolbar button does not show up, and the PAW for the transmitter box does not have any options beyond basic part+command module options. 261362837-9fda8907-a612-4df2-a51c-84813b

https://github.com/Kopernicus-Shadows2/player.log/blob/main/Player.log

Edited by Horizons Aerospace
forgot to include logs

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2023 at 10:31 AM, RadioFreeKerbin said:

I've been planning to set up an icecast internet radio station made up of music played on my Twitch stream. Would it be possible to set this up to play an internet radio station, maybe via a streaming mp3 file?

Not at the present time

I am finally working on this again, hope to have a new beta out by the weekend

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.0.4

• Too many changes to list

Note:  I am aware of one bug, in that if a tranmitter runs out of power, the radio will continue playing the station

Please report any other bugs found to me

Where can we find the changes?

As for more radio stations, any one here is welcome to contribute a station!

Just DM me and we'll get you up to speed with making a new radio station!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...