EVE mod help

Hello everyone! As you might have known, I want to get into modding KSP1. Specifically, what I want to do is to create a low-performance impact visual pack like panzer1b's ASTOUNDING Sci-Fi VE, adding clouds and planet glows to the game using the EVE-redux mod by blackrack.

Now, the thing I don't understand about EVE config files is the difference between Maintex and Detailtex. I also want to know what the variable "MaxTranslation" does. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Further more, it would be great if someone could tell me how to do optimization!

I'd also like someone to introduce ways to create cloudmaps so I don't need that much time to draw cover maps. I won/t have much time for modding next month.

Edited by Alpha_star

Thanks! One more question though: how do I split an image in to multiple ones and adjust their position in order to combine them for use with one cloud layer? I've heard that this can improve the performance.

P.S.: Are EVE and Scatterer effects our for your LSR? Keep up the great work!

20 hours ago, RevanX_LSR said:

The easiest way to make a cloud map is to just take earth’s cloud map and convert the black to alpha.

You can get earths cloud map on the internet.

5 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

Thanks! One more question though: how do I split an image in to multiple ones and adjust their position in order to combine them for use with one cloud layer? I've heard that this can improve the performance.

P.S.: Are EVE and Scatterer effects our for your LSR? Keep up the great work!

EVE effects are out and they are great! (by my standards). Most of them are *partially* based off real life cloud maps.

Scatterer… well that’s more complicated and I can’t find a good place to learn the full syntax, not even on Discord (Kopernicus server).

You can do that image splitting quite easily on gimp. Learn a basic tutorial and you should be able to use the “rectangular select” tool to do so. But beware: avoid three things:

1) seams. Basically abrupt endings in the cloud pattern that will look very horrible in game. Since the texture is wrap around, you’ll also have to use Layer>Offset tool to make sure it’s tileable as well.

2)Polar distortion. as with any equirectangular maps, the poles tend to get a little bit distorted. There are ways to reduce this, but it’s best to leave the poles untouched.

3)The cloud map will be inverted in-game.

• 2 weeks later...

56 minutes ago, Alpha_star said:

And a totally off-topic question below:

How do I add terrain scattering objects to a certain body? I am not talking about the parallax scattering system, but the stock KSP1 terrain system.

Would be glad to know.

I think you need LandControl and then several land classes with a sub-node called “scatters”. You should copy off another planet pack with scatters (the syntax not the actual file) and tweak from there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.