Inconsistent Framerate During Launch [Anth12 Edit: The Video Shows a Gradual FPS drop as the Launch Continues]

Fraplu

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win10 | CPU: i7 10700f @2.9GHz | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM32GB DDR4

I often experience an event during launch where my framerate will drop from a stable ~30-40fps down to about 5-12fps. It will stay that low for very long periods of time. A "fix" I found was opening and closing another application (i.e., browser or discord). Even with that, the framerate will only be playable for under a minute. I'm guessing it probably has to do with how the KSC is being rendered.

Included Attachments:

MyVideo10.mp4

Edited by Anth12

19 answers to this question

@Anth as you suggested to me, changing cloud quality has dramatic effects on the bug. It disappears when clouds are on low, it is mitigated (but still significant) with the clouds on high medium. My FPS on paused game, options screen were 60 (capped), 12, and 3 respectively for low-med-high clouds.

Edited by mucco

This has happened to me as well, but going as low as <1 FPS; even looking at the sky, so could be a culling bug. It recovered by alt-tabbing. Then it started again in orbit with the same severity, and again alt-tabbing fixed it. Away from Kerbin orbit I haven't encountered it so far.

My GPU is a RX 6600.

me too! After upgrading it to v0.1.40..the performance of this game decreases sufficiently...It can't hold even one single ship! When I look at the Munar Surface...my high-ended PC (It can handle MW II, RDR2 and AC: Valhalla smoothly) has trouble handling the upgrade of KSP2! It constantly dropped from 60 fps to only 0.5 fps every several seconds.. This will really ruin the experience too! 

Yeah, the same thing happens to me... on certain occasions.

I think it has something to do with the terrain loading. Because sometimes. I will look at a celestial body or even in the sky and get as low as 7 to 3 FPS and I'm pretty sure that the current terrain loading has caused this. I have only noticed these sudden and random frame drops (Especially even when I'm looking at the sky) when I updated to 1.4.

I hope they've made some BIG progress on that new terrain generation update that they teased... in March.

Edited by NexusHelium

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3200G | GPU: GTX 1050Ti | RAM16GB 3200Mhz

Seems like KSP 2 gets homesick and decides to lag when you get a bit too far from KSC

Steps for replication:

Step 1: Fly away from KSC

Included Attachments:

@Anth I can still reproduce this sometimes. My launch/LKO FPS is totally shot. The latest K.E.R.B. asks for more post 0.1.5 information and I can provide it, is there any way I can help? More data from me:

1. Alt-tabbing fixes the issue occasionally
2. GPU is constant 100%, and stays 100% even if alt-tabbed with the KSP2 window not in view. CPU seems fine. Goes without saying that the whole PC is lagging while this happens
3. Going into map view suppresses the issue

On 12/7/2023 at 12:02 AM, mucco said:

@Anth I can still reproduce this sometimes. My launch/LKO FPS is totally shot. The latest K.E.R.B. asks for more post 0.1.5 information and I can provide it, is there any way I can help? More data from me:

1. Alt-tabbing fixes the issue occasionally
2. GPU is constant 100%, and stays 100% even if alt-tabbed with the KSP2 window not in view. CPU seems fine. Goes without saying that the whole PC is lagging while this happens
3. Going into map view suppresses the issue

Thanks for the information.
From what you have said before,  you have a Ryzen 5 3600 + RX6600, can you tell me what your resolution is?

9 hours ago, Anth said:

From what you have said before,  you have a Ryzen 5 3600 + RX6600, can you tell me what your resolution is?

2560x1440, but I think I've had this issue on my 1080p second monitor as well

13 hours ago, mucco said:

2560x1440, but I think I've had this issue on my 1080p second monitor as well

Maybe that is part of the issue. Thanks for the information.

Maybe the problem is more consistently happening using a higher resolution and a lower resolution is less consistently happening.

53 minutes ago, mucco said:

@Anth as you suggested to me, changing cloud quality has dramatic effects on the bug. It disappears when clouds are on low, it is mitigated (but still significant) with the clouds on high. My FPS on paused game, options screen were 60 (capped), 12, and 3 respectively for low-med-high clouds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.