Should I buy it?

Andrew1233

10 hours ago, Andrew1233 said:

should I buy

I just looked up the price and it's still relatively cheap.

I bought it when Squad was still in active development and could use the funds.  So I purchased both DLCs simply to support Squad.

Since then, those DLCs have become "standard" KSP, as far as I think.  For anyone who downloads/uploads KSP craft, I think they are very worthwhile for just that reason.

So I'll admit I call this DLC "Breaking Bad".  Or perhaps "Breaking Heart" is suggestive, too, after you've built some robotic fantasy only to have heck break loose.  "Breaking Loose"...

I would not let a single part such as the KAL be a deal-breaker ("Breaking Deals"), especially before you've explored what it can do.

Let the glass be half full: buy it just for the Cubs!!  ("Breaking Glass", "Breaking Parts", "I break for code"...)

If you still feel hesitant, following Bej, trying the robotics pioneer mod ("Infernal Robotics"?), if you haven't already, to see if you even like robotics might be a good step.  ( I should do that myself.)

Edited by Hotel26

How is KAL "hacking", exactly? It's just a sequencer. And a very powerful sequencer, at that. You can do some pretty cool stuff with it, and as far as I know, not a single mod has the same functionality as KAL. It's pretty sophisticated for what it is. Sure, it has some exploits as well, but you need to know how to do them, it doesn't "hack" anything by itself. And the game is full of exploits even without it anyway. 

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

trying the robotics pioneer mod ("Infernal Robotics"?), if you haven't already, to see if you even like robotics might be a good step. 

Be aware, though, this mod also has a lot of bugs in it. Last time I've seen it, it had a pretty bad editor symmetry bug that affected stock game parts, not just robotic parts. 

Breaking Ground is more than just the KAL controller and robotics, there’s a whole set of deployable surface experiments and surface features that you can either scan with a probe or in some cases pick up and take back home with a Kerbal. I’ve used the robotics parts for a variety of things but never the KAL controller, that thing is too complicated for me :confused:

22 hours ago, dok_377 said:

How is KAL "hacking", exactly? It's just a sequencer. And a very powerful sequencer, at that. You can do some pretty cool stuff with it, and as far as I know, not a single mod has the same functionality as KAL. It's pretty sophisticated for what it is. Sure, it has some exploits as well, but you need to know how to do them, it doesn't "hack" anything by itself. And the game is full of exploits even without it anyway. 

Be aware, though, this mod also has a lot of bugs in it. Last time I've seen it, it had a pretty bad editor symmetry bug that affected stock game parts, not just robotic parts. 

For "Hacking" I mean it can give infinity fuel, thrust or whatever so kinda sus. 

1 hour ago, Andrew1233 said:

For "Hacking" I mean it can give infinity fuel, thrust or whatever so kinda sus. 

As I said, it doesn't do that by itself, you need to know a specific way to do it. The game itself is full of exploits like these even without any dlc. Landing gear kraken drive, for example. It does not require any fuel and practically has infinite range with extreme speeds. But that knowledge will not make you not use any landing gear because they're sus, will it? :D

The game also has a debug menu with cheats, by the way. 

15 hours ago, dok_377 said:

As I said, it doesn't do that by itself, you need to know a specific way to do it. The game itself is full of exploits like these even without any dlc. Landing gear kraken drive, for example. It does not require any fuel and practically has infinite range with extreme speeds. But that knowledge will not make you not use any landing gear because they're sus, will it? :D

The game also has a debug menu with cheats, by the way. 

Oh ok thanks I will consider it.

I like the robotics parts, they enable completely new  designs, but I guess you could use also use mods for this?

Also, most basic functions for the actuators don't need a KAL-1000 program. You can just toggle between extended/retracted with an action group. You only need a program if multiple actuators need to run a timed sequence of actions.

I like to share my designs on the workshop, so stuff built with stock + DLC might be more accessible than mods.

My helicopters got not very far, but I made good use of the hinges and actuators. Here are some examples:
zKLPK9f.jpg

Spoiler

Moho Exploration Stack 'Maia'
Maia + Launcher: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2955311353

Deployment of Antlion and Scarab Rovers by Icarus Lander by telescoping docking port.
TPwlZ9Y.jpg

Antlion Rover can lift itself into the air (telescoping action + grip pads) to simplify rover repairs.
tGqHyJ7.jpg

Telescoping stabilizer for mining on Hephaistos Miner.
QuB0qUb.jpg
Refueling Rovers 'Samaritan' and 'Sandworm'

Articulated refueling/grabbing arm.
Samaritan: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2962898533 

ze40n5m.jpg

Sandworm (with Lab and interplanetary stage): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2963570208XjNIcau.jpg

Mun Rover 'Giraffa'
Giraffa: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2957028339

Grabbing unit at the back is mounted on a hinge so it can lift rovers off the ground to complete contracts fast.
yT4nl20.jpg

Small drills are deployed from a MK2 cargo bay by rotation.
K1rk9Jh.jpg

Gilly Exploration Stack  'Pannychis'
Pannychis + Launcher: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3002706642

Euphrosyne Rover with deployable wheels to reduce footprint during launch.
WTWFgNb.jpg

Eudaimonia Miner with hinged grabbing arm to anchor itself in low-g.
j3V2I8p.jpg

Edited by Duke MelTdoWn

• 2 months later...

I think it is totally worth it! I don't see the KAL 1000 as a hack. If you are looking for a shortcut you might be disappointed. I find that programming it to do everything I want it to to can be tedious, but very rewarding! Also the robotic parts allow for all sorts of interesting things. 

• 2 weeks later...

My main use of the Kal was for differential torque/throttling of engines/motors for quad copters and similar vtols.

Anyway, I consider it better than making history.

Robotics open up so many possibilities (particularly with underwater exploration, which may not be expected), and surface features add a little something to surface exploration (I love the animated geysers and cryo volcanoes)

Robotics stuff in breaking ground is awesome, but not necessity. You can build your own robotic arms and stuff like that. KAL is just used for automatize things and control multiple parts with single input.  Using it as hack is up to you and those hacks doesn't happen accidently.

Breaking Ground: 100% worth it.  Lots of added functionality.  KAL is absolutely not necessary if you are decent with action groups.

Making History: 15% worth it.  It's basically a Squad-branded engine/fuel tank modpack.  The 5m parts are super nice, but they aren't anything you can't get with mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.