Introducing For Science! - Major Content Update Out in December

Intercept Games

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Trying to avoid getting too political, but the Kerbals probably aren't dealing with rich Kerbals hoarding everything (+ bad funding decisions and space-disinterested presidents in NASA's case). Money and war was a huge part of HUMAN space exploration, and humans are known for making crap decisions and needing aggressive or spiteful motivations for anything.

It's also known that money is not going to mesh with interplanetary colonies as well as resources will. It makes a lot more sense to manage a physical thing that colonies will need to build things out of than an imaginary unit.

Since kerbals live essentially forever (unless they have a bad fall) and don't eat or drink, money is a foreign concept to them.... Maybe

8 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Trying to avoid getting too political, but the Kerbals probably aren't dealing with rich Kerbals hoarding everything (+ bad funding decisions and space-disinterested presidents in NASA's case). Money and war was a huge part of HUMAN space exploration, and humans are known for making crap decisions and needing aggressive or spiteful motivations for anything.

It's also known that money is not going to mesh with interplanetary colonies as well as resources will. It makes a lot more sense to manage a physical thing that colonies will need to build things out of than an imaginary unit.

I guess that would make more sense on a universal sense. At least we can mine resources and make stuff with it, which is pretty cool by itself.

On 11/30/2023 at 11:24 PM, Superfluous J said:

I think that the fact that collecting science isn't the end goal of player progression is enough of a major change.

Even after the deep-dive, I'm pretty unconvinced.  Progression in a game normally implies you've achieved some level of *success* in earlier missions/levels/etc., but that's not the case with this new Exploration mode.

From what we heard in that dev interview, parts and advancements can be obtained by a grind without any particular milestones like "land on Mün and return to Kerbin".  I call that a real missed design opportunity:  the particular moment of climbing down a ladder and standing on Mün for the first time is not what triggers some reward in and of itself.  The milestone accomplishments end up being secondary to the reward structure which is a pretty big flub.

Edited by Chilkoot

You'll have missions that should guide you towards a goal.

Yes it can be obtained by a grind, but it doesn't have to and frankly, it should be easier and faster without a grind if you stick your head out of the Kerbin system and go further.

Why grind if you have better alternatives?