Craft Spins Out Of Control When Switching Craft [If Two Craft Target Eachother Using SAS In Orbit, The Non-Active One Will Start Spinning]

Scarecrow71

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: See previous bug reports | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 | GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super | RAM32 GB

Still trying to get to Moho, this time by creating multiple smaller craft and assembling in orbit.  Launched the first craft (transfer stage), putting it into LKO at ~100km and watched it spin out of control as soon as the circularization burn was done.  Finally got it under control and launched Moho II-1 Lander into LKO with a Pe of ~90km.  Set original craft as target and used RCS to get to the target marker on the navball (in spite of having reaction wheels which, for some reason, do not seem to work AT ALL).  Switched to the original craft using ]; I do this on all rendezous maneuvers when I have docking ports on the front/top of the craft so I have a direct line from one vehicle to the next.  The lander craft began to spin out of control as I was setting it as a target, so I switched back to get it under control and then the original craft spun out of control.  Video shows this happening.

Steps to Replicate:

1. rendezvous 2 crafts in orbit. ensure they both have control.
  2. make the craft target eachother
  3. set SAS to target on one of the crafts
  4. switch to the other craft and do the same
  5. observe the non-active craft will start to spin 

Workaround:

Disable SAS on one of the two craft after positioning it

Included Attachments:

Desktop2023_10.31-13_41_58_03.mp4

Edited by DibzNr
This bug can occur anywhere, changed the title to reflect that

15 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 SUPER | RAM24.0 GB

Target vehicle once rapidly accelerated perpendicular to closing velocity vector upon docking approach circa 100-200m.

Also when vehicles targeted to each other they often start rotating when control is swapped between vehicles.

Included Attachments:

After doing more testing and playing, I've determined that this is actually a bug related to having one of the following turned on:

• The Infinite Electricity cheat; OR
  • RCS being engaged when switching between craft

While playing today, I started building a space station in HKO.  I turned off the Infinite Electricity cheat (which has been proven to cause craft to spin out of control when thrust is cut), and when targeting craft and switching between them I made sure to turn off RCS on the craft I was focused on before switching focus to another craft.  The issue did not happen when I did that...but because I did both of these in this save today I cannot confirm which one is the actual culprit here.  But it is nice to know that this is not an issue all the time.

32 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

After doing more testing and playing, I've determined that this is actually a bug related to having one of the following turned on:

• The Infinite Electricity cheat; OR
  • RCS being engaged when switching between craft

While playing today, I started building a space station in HKO.  I turned off the Infinite Electricity cheat (which has been proven to cause craft to spin out of control when thrust is cut), and when targeting craft and switching between them I made sure to turn off RCS on the craft I was focused on before switching focus to another craft.  The issue did not happen when I did that...but because I did both of these in this save today I cannot confirm which one is the actual culprit here.  But it is nice to know that this is not an issue all the time.

That's odd. Are you planning on also testing each workaround individually?

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-10870H | GPU: RTX 3070 | RAM16GB

Encountered a weird bug the other day and frustratingly didn't get footage of it.

I was trying a one-man munar orbit rendezvous mission, where the pilot left the return vessel unoccupied when going down to the surface and re-took control of it after rendezvousing. when I seperated the landa the vehicle was stationary. Anyway, because I slightly underestimated how much fuel I needed, the return ended up being with the jetpack rather than on the lander. when my kerbal returned to his return vessel though it started spinning when he got in physics range. Time warping from the kerbal stopped it from spinning, but whenever I went down to x1 speed it would slowly spin up again, almost as if the reaction wheels were locked on.

Switching to the (uncontrollable) vessel and timewarping from it then dropping back down to 1x speed managed to stop it from spinning up, so I was able to work around the problem.

Included Attachments:

19 hours ago, mattihase said:

I'll see if I have a save of the moment but it's unlikely as I think I was just reloading an autosave at the time.

I appreciate your efforts but there's no need. I had this happen in the last 10 hours or so and did some testing.

Looks like the other craft has to have its reaction wheels enabled and it needs to be unmanned, which both yours and @Scarecrow71's appear to have been.

Thanks to you both for contributing to this.

I will do more testing to make sure.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i7-10700 | GPU: NVIDIA 2080 Super Mobile | RAM32 GB DDR4

This is the second time I've done a rendezvous, and the second time the ship I'm meeting up with has its SAS disabled once I get near. It then begins to spin wildly and ruins the encounter. In the video attached, you can see the moment at ~0.07 when the other ship loses SAS and begins to spin. There are two other points of irritation in this clip that could be their own reports, but I will include them here anyway. 

One is that it is much too difficult to switch between ships on the map screen when they are near each other. At 0:36, the ship I'm trying to click on is called Monument Molester, and you can see that the UI shows that that is the vessel I have my mouse on. But yet when I click on it in order to control it, the ship that actually gets selected is the one I'm already controlling. This is why I say "please" at that part of the video. Time is an issue, but yet I'm having to struggle with the UI to click on the correct vessel. 

The other annoyance is with the camera. If I toggle free camera at any point, it then begins to toggle on by itself at random times. Even after I've pressed the "home" key to reset my camera. It happens more than once in this video, but you can see an example of at 1:01 when I switch back to the smaller ship. I'm just stuck looking all around until I press "home" again to reset it. It will happen again after that, but the rest was cut out of the video for length and size purposes. 

Included Attachments:

KSPRendezvousRetardation.mp4

18 hours ago, DibzNr said:

@Quadnick Merged your report with this post

Thank you. I have more to report on this problem that hasn't been mentioned yet. When I reloaded my save to try again, something very strange happened during the process. The other ship started spinning again, so I switched to it to enable SAS. After doing so, I switched to map view and noticed the other ship's orbit was rapidly increasing. It would have gone indefinitely if I did not switch back to it. I have video of this, but don't see a way to add it. Can videos only be added when creating a bug report post?

Reported Version: V0.2.1.0 | Mods: none

Windows 10 Pro | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 | RAM: 32GB

I have a save file where the main active craft is doing the perpetual spinning thing. This seems like a known issue, but I figured I'd offer the save file just in case.

Edited by drunkBus
added system info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.