Journey of the Avodaco- a Jool 5 Mission!

Kimera Industries

Journey of the Avocado

Z5hSyCv.png

A Jool 5 Mission Report

Long ago, (March 2023 I think) I set a goal of completing a Jool 5 before the end of the year. I began working on a Jool 5 ship but lost momentum pretty quickly. At that point, I hadn't even been to Duna, I was so inexperienced. Late November 2023, I picked up the muster to try it again- but it would be different this time. This time, I would do it on a science save, and get an actual reward from all this. Probably complete the tech tree, too. Arbitrarily, I named my ship the Avocado- and all the ships have kept an avocado naming rule as a result.

To start with, I would launch a nuclear tug, but split it into two major parts- the first, relatively simple, and the second, like the first, but with four more radially placed and asparagus staging. 

Am I overdoing this just to compensate for my lack of skill? Maybe. Does it make me feel better about the chances of this working? Yes.

And so, without further ado...

Pit 1 launch:

Spoiler

ZLEKhvP.jpg

Most pics will have UI showing, to show that I'm not a liar.

sHnXslQ.jpg

AvK8pOJ.jpg

D4NjQ7D.jpg

5T8QAdb.jpg

0fNuoHz.jpg

LKO.

63lLI8S.jpg

z6URiuz.jpg

Bye-bye, nosecone.

The launch of Pit 2:

Spoiler

W9dAsoc.jpg

Today's launch was sponsored by: the Thoroughbred booster! Because it's so hardly used!

RWTilTC.jpg

HdDeBMI.jpg

Asparagus staging here too.

ofrd01p.jpg

g4iUbEf.jpg

85lHQsx.jpg

UV9ur9e.jpg

Q6tbwe5.jpg

Mnb37SA.jpg

Pit 2 in LKO.

Docking the two Pits:

Spoiler

MeZa1Tp.jpg

KHAOg5A.jpg

Getting Pit 1 ready to dock. I've gotten a rendezvous by this time.

EjP4CXB.jpg

uda8bbP.jpg

5RoutgP.jpg

Lazy Lowne docking today. Too tired to care.

Nvi9yaY.jpg

Retracted the panels and radiators, I wasn't sure if they would fit.

lZZfRgH.jpg

1LvFSPO.jpg

6qpW8vP.jpg

Tada! Next, I will add a module with reaction wheels and more monoprop, because I ran out of it and it turns really slow without RCS.

The Avocado is not complete. In my science save, I have the crew module docked, but I will have to post that another time.

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: Launching the crew module (and a maneuvering module)!

Edited by Kimera Industries

• 2 weeks later...

So I Made Some Improvements

As I discovered in the first two missions, the Avocado is slow to turn in its current state. I decided to make a quick "Maneuvering Module"- Some reaction wheels, but more importantly, an SAS unit and monoprop tanks. The Pit only has an SAS module that's meant to be detached and blocks some of the nuclear engines. Also, it ran out of monopropellant, but a refuel will come later.

GXdCSMZ.jpg

Spoiler

VFNNUyv.jpg

Ah, a straightforward launcher, for once.

hNU89eY.jpg

NGPDkfn.jpg

eQFeXje.jpg

i3AI8Us.jpg

The hardest part of the docking was just that Pit was so slow to turn.

Spoiler

hqFmHuQ.jpg

3AvKFOB.jpg

Yq3LK9d.jpg

Q54duJL.jpg

k8edzr7.jpg

bqZTQLa.jpg

rNab9Jq.jpg

cFUxEFT.jpg

Bye-bye, needless SAS module.

8H9c4Tk.jpg

Oh, and you too, upper stage. 

cTK0HbN.jpg

I raised the orbit to 80x80km, as I realized 70x70 was a little tricky to rendezvous with.

bxWrm5g.jpg

Look at that! 

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: The crew module!

Trapped In A Tin Can

Next up was the crew module. I could have launched the crew later, but the whole docking process is very slow, and I need to complete this mission before the end of this year. So I launched the crew with the crew module itself, because I can.

"I believe this nation should commit itself, before this year is out, of landing a kerbal on all of Jool's moons and returning him safely to Kerbin."

*Aide whispers frantically in ear*

"Of landing a kerbal on all of Jool's moons."

a0mPwvr.jpg

Spoiler

ViZOIZk.jpg

4tQUUYN.jpg

RWxDFOs.jpg

bsUWLDz.jpg

q4jbHt8.jpg

gLxy3UT.jpg

A crew of 6 was launched with this module, and another one will be launched with the lander, for a total of 7.

Spoiler

0r2oUeu.jpg

PxHRUJ7.jpg

A few maneuver nodes later...

48b38Ed.jpg

sPOVr6X.jpg

mZ4lCUj.jpg

It's very big. The largest thing I have ever built in orbit.

vQNqUA4.jpg

Well, these kerbals better have brought some great games with them, because they will be stuck in their two modules for a very, very long time.

Oh wait, all they have to do is bring KSP with them and time will pass by in an instant...

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: The "Guac" Lander!

Want Some Chips With That?

One last module is needed: the lander. The Guac can land on all of Jool's moons, (excluding Laythe but that's why we have a dedicated plane), and lands on Tylo by ditching its fuel tanks. As a result, I'll have to land on Bop, Pol, and Vall before Tylo, but I can only refuel it once. This is going to be hard interesting.

epKExmP.jpg

Spoiler

DNvDfb9.jpg

Ci1i5HK.jpg

lcLqVCl.jpg

r57WPzY.jpg

H5Rgk91.jpg

P9aXR2k.jpg

qaxcQTG.jpg

Now it's time for that process I love and enjoy: docking at 5 FPS.

Spoiler

gSKrCDl.jpg

GUADjsr.jpg

5e4dfB7.jpg

NNszj9T.jpg

oNlCOpx.jpg

4vbxIgT.jpg

By far the largest thing I have ever built.

XanOKkj.jpg

FILL SPACE WITH TRASH!

After this, there'll be a mission to top off the tanks, because *surprise* dozens of RCS blocks gobble up monopropellant like there's no tomorrow.

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: ARF!

15 minutes ago, Kimera Industries said:

Now it's time for that process I love and enjoy: docking at 5 FPS.

Tell me about it. Whenever I come into physics range of Kerman Station, the whole game just freezes for a solid two minutes. It really bogs down my PC too.

3 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Tell me about it. Whenever I come into physics range of Kerman Station, the whole game just freezes for a solid two minutes. It really bogs down my PC too.

I always get a mini-panic attack whenever the game pauses from stuff entering physics range. What makes docking worse is that moving just one of the parts into position isn't really feasible, so I have to rely on Lazy Lowne docking. Even that is barely possible because Avocado is stupendously slow to turn.

16 hours ago, Watermel00n said:

My grand tour had a part count of about 250 during the main mission, but the Eve lander raised it to 400... Needless to say I'm glad it's over.

No idea about the part count of Avocado but it's high. Thankfully, due to my asparagus stating, the lag (and the turning rate) gets better as I drop more mass.

Intermission (Sort Of)

This mission is the only module launched to Avocado that won't remain attached. After excessive use of RCS thrusters during extremely slow processes, we lack a large portion of our dedicated monopropellant. I'd prefer for everything to be full before we embark on our journey, so I put together a simple refueling unit: ARF (Avocado ReFueler).

RxjZc2C.jpg

Spoiler

KLL9uvH.jpg

WiBHZ44.jpg

mxQAY5n.jpg

6DZoqLQ.jpg

d5gIMEX.jpg

b1De0Gu.jpg

This docking will be a lot easier because I can just grab onto the Avocado anywhere with the grabber claw. As far as realism? I just don't care. I want this mission done.

Spoiler

cXcBZMR.jpg

dd0YnXl.jpg

WfMzIHF.jpg

Rv3Iac8.jpg

ReAHqhn.jpg

Contact!

XDTw3ez.jpg

This is an absolute nightmare. There's got to be a better way to do this without mods, right? No? Ugh.

WougQ92.jpg

ALL I WANT IS TO GET THE MONOPROP TO THE AVOCADO HOW HARD CAN IT BE

8X9LHKg.jpg

Finally...

0mKGtAO.jpg

Goodbye. Hope I never have to refuel this thing again.

468Sooi.jpg

biX2HlY.jpg

Avocado is now ready for the greatest adventure ever undertaken by our space agency.

Spoiler

Look at the names of these two quicksaves...

UyfO09I.jpg

"Well I did some math and uh oh"

ALr6CUu.jpg

"I did the math and we're ok"

After a lot of hasty calculations, I determined (giving myself enormous margins of error just in case) that this mission will be possible to complete.

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: The transfer to Jool!

Sorry, I've been taking a break from the internet for Christmas and all. You'll be happy to know that the Laythe landing was successful, and so was Vall, but I may have to redo that last landing and change my order of landings because there's been an issue with the lander. It somehow has 2000 less dv than it did in the tests. Time to pull out the gravity assist calculator and some quicksaves.

Posted (edited)

Let's Hit The Road Orbit Lines

Like most nuclear-powered craft, the Avocado will split its burns into two. One reaching Minmus, the other actually getting to Jool. Along the way, it'll detach its first drop tanks. The Jool 5 challenge says that the craft can't split into pieces from the moment it leaves Kerbin until it arrives at Jool, but the tanks will be detached while it's still in Kerbin's SOI, so I think it's fine.

orwcm7Y.jpg

Even at max time warp it takes so long to make a single year pass.

Spoiler

7o7FusZ.jpg

Kerbin-Jool window, 96 degrees.

eRa6lIS.jpg

First burn.

1KMo37M.jpg

"3, 2, 1, Mark!" (Organ intensifies)

K9tBz0I.jpg

M4s4CSm.jpg

Qig2zWV.jpg

Finished!

ljW1fQA.jpg

Those are some toasty radiators you've got there, mister.

KJIrP8m.jpg

Lhpqi6J.jpg

ktP2BkA.jpg

"Ranger 2 side boosters, prepare to detach! 3, 2, 1, mark!" (Organ intensifies further)

O4HnrKr.jpg

SBuMVrF.jpg

odCJ9ET.jpg

WThTVnZ.jpg

On our way! Oh, even warmer radiators this time. It's almost like NERVs are a nuclear reactor or something.

wEaUmvb.jpg

Now for the several-year journey to Jool, with no more space for each crew member than one would have in an Apollo capsule. I'm sure kerbals have different psychology to be able to handle that, but if not, too bad.

Spoiler

VbWtKWf.jpg

iNsJVnd.jpg

Kerbin is inside one of the "wedges" formed by the solar panels and radiators.

n849o5k.jpg

K943oFK.jpg

Course correction.

EWlRAi8.jpg

It took even longer to warp to this point than to the transfer window.

The Avocado is ready to arrive in orbit around Jool!

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: Heading to Laythe!

Going Off The Rails On A Crazy Train Of Gravity Assists

Arriving at Jool was not easy. A simple retroburn would use thousands of dv that I couldn't spare, so a Tylo gravity assist was in order. I set one up, although I wasn't completely happy with it, and then spent the next several hours in the Jool system trying to get a perfect sequence that would allow me to retroburn at Laythe easily. Long story short, I failed, and I loaded an earlier quicksave before I was in the Jool SOI to set things right. While fiddling with the maneuver node, I came across a path that did exactly what I wanted it to do. Any slight difference in how I tweaked the node and I might never have discovered this.

gFetisT.jpg

Assist from Tylo, assist from Laythe, small inclination change, then encounter Laythe again after just one orbit, and spend minimum fuel to get to Laythe orbit.

Spoiler

KvgYzo6.jpg

Executing just a few of the course corrections needed.

KiXBJCb.jpg

rIfIN0p.jpg

There are a lot of them needed.

ErK0FMY.jpg

Jool is visible now.

1lMPhMd.jpg

Our first science from Jool!

SBxErXX.jpg

NXL2chh.jpg

HgUOePl.jpg

A Laythe encounter after an inclination change.

Gu7YQWA.jpg

Tylo looms. It's very good at that.

i2HcZ5Y.jpg

More science!

TaM68z6.jpg

pcOhtT4.jpg

WnIiPhY.jpg

Laythe is a lot less good at looming.

A7ooLeD.jpg

The Eye of Laythe!

FRQGY5N.jpg

First flyby.

Dt8Pp5I.jpg

More science.

E0MVGXP.jpg

SYLszXp.jpg

Second flyby. Tylo is helping loom out in the distance.

CEo7ucm.jpg

EFHz9gY.jpg

6k7Y5SS.jpg

I'm splitting this into multiple burns for efficiency.

HLWhd6E.jpg

MOAR SCIENCE

QexxYRq.jpg

Up close, Laythe is a little better at looming, but not by much. It's too pretty to be foreboding.

kyGM4jp.jpg

That's pretty too. (This is still from Laythe orbit)

pgM12a5.jpg

Another retroburn.

0jplYZu.jpg

HOj54ao.jpg

Jeb is ready to conquer Laythe...

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: Laythe Landing!

11 minutes ago, Kimera Industries said:

"OK, MechJeb, nice reckless flying." "Learned from my programmer."

Wait, when did this line appear? Was it when CASE was flying Lander 1 (or 2, I don't remember) to the surface on Mann's Planet?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

Wait, when did this line appear? Was it when CASE was flying Lander 1 (or 2, I don't remember) to the surface on Mann's Planet?

It's during the Detach scene. Skip to 2:35. I modified the lines a bit, but you probably guessed that already. 

I think when CASE is flying the Lander down on Mann's Planet Cooper merely warns him about flying too fast. That's just a bit before Mann throws away his long-range transmitter.

Baby Kerbin: The Laythe Landing

Completed by the "Guacamole" SSTO

I would've had a scientist pilot the plane so I could reset the experiments, but I needed full control over the plane to, you know, fly it without dying, so Jeb it would be. There are only two pilots on the Avocado, Jeb and Val, so one of them will be on every landing.

g4PtjiC.jpg

Spoiler

KVxaJZu.jpg

Notice the solar panels and inflatable airlock. I'll explain why I feel this doesn't violate the no severe parts clipping rule later when more of the payload bay is shown.

vQWNOWj.jpg

d5YAolU.jpg

I can't help it, Jool and Laythe together look so good!

zjVMTpm.jpg

d8A0gXu.jpg

YavpwYU.jpg

h5I9ENd.jpg

h7pvkkc.jpg

lfShJtm.jpg

Pull up here to avoid destroying the shock cone...

XhvdIPs.jpg

9A4zMY6.jpg

sqJ9Dx9.jpg

rtGyrsg.jpg

Dn2sBSW.jpg

This landing took many attempts. You'll notice this plane has a lifting-body design. During tests, I'd use the cheat menu to put it at a higher altitude, but since the plane starts moving right away, physics never fully loads in, and the "physics easing in progress" never goes away. This means gravity is much lower than if physics were acting properly, and your planes will appear to fly much better than they actually do. I realized this too late, and I crashed into Laythe many, many times because lifting bodies suck at low speeds. Finally, the right landing slope and a perfect landing flare resulted in me sketchily skating forward at 50m/s for a while, but nothing broke! Except maybe Jeb's spine.

TYVxMrW.jpg

Parked!

vSYHQtm.jpg

ehwByzD.jpg

MjUtFoA.jpg

So the payload bay is full of science, the cockpit, and fuel. My reasoning for this clipping of parts is this: If you managed to fit everything perfectly into the payload bay with the perfect shapes of parts, there'd be enough room for everything. If this plane were IRL, that's what would happen- every part would be designed to fit in the payload bay perfectly, with no clipping.

gctgJ3L.jpg

9bH7W9W.jpg

MvRMQuE.jpg

I've got a "perfect" landing screenshot for each moon: crew with their flag, in front of the lander, no UI.

Spoiler

MKijyoo.jpg

X3PI2j3.jpg

CgVuCFR.jpg

75XBM4x.jpg

0h9Sya1.jpg

Takeoff was almost as hard as landing.

oQzFiw8.jpg

I bounced off this hill, possibly breaking Jeb's spine again in new and exciting places.

coofBZg.jpg

rN7OvjA.jpg

ULOfzXK.jpg

P8fQVjf.jpg

Mach I, I think.

p5Du6Tb.jpg

EBTv6wU.jpg

tb7lrEC.jpg

4xOiJJg.jpg

36tdYay.jpg

gMJergw.jpg

om8QcIu.jpg

Now it's time for docking with the Avocado. This process will be a little sketchy because of the Guacamole's weirdly positioned docking port.

Spoiler

kYWjp0H.jpg

UydSkX2.jpg

Laythe is better at looming during the night. 

jRaEPcx.jpg

P01B5as.jpg

Qg3u9Jq.jpg

a8EXbKI.jpg

CG0ufND.jpg

I ended up missing the Avocado, but I'll come back around and rendezvous with it again with a much slower relative velocity.

rrIU5Ju.jpg

1arxco1.jpg

Nv18ZYn.jpg

5D0KB8e.jpg

If KSP lets me do this, I'm not gonna stop it...

uiymKWB.jpg

wLDFryQ.jpg

pLiHSUn.jpg

TOSzrsc.jpg

Docked! Now we transfer crew, science, and leftover fuel.

Spoiler

I2HDLvk.jpg

lQkYeKE.jpg

wPkVFWZ.jpg

9Qoga5l.jpg

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: Vall Landing!

Not EuropaTM: The Vall Landing

Completed by the "Guac" Vacuum Lander

For the other 4 moons, we'll use the Guac, a vacuum-optimized lander that sheds drop tanks on the Tylo descent to avoid Sudden Impact Syndrome. It'll land on Vall and Pol with Val and Lisa, and head back to the Avocado, which will then take it to Tylo and Bop.

tUxzfnt.jpg

Spoiler

ZiTwJkn.jpg

So what if that only gets me 2 more dv? I've had to work with no dv!

QxuDvli.jpg

Space trash

mliSs5z.jpg

With the weight of the plane gone, I circularized to make transfers easier for the lander.

wylavvI.jpg

Guac is on its own.

L7nVZdU.jpg

From here, I'll transfer directly to Vall.

Spoiler

0j1NaqF.jpg

YrSGjiI.jpg

fSvrHTU.jpg

jvR7Bls.jpg

4iSsf6e.jpg

5QvmKnn.jpg

u96jkKB.jpg

Vall is almost as bad as Laythe at looming.

LqIejRu.jpg

DW97OEF.jpg

drszAbQ.jpg

2WzBtmT.jpg

I like how the magnetometer just takes the full force of the engines and doesn't complain, unlike some solar panels I could mention.

zOQcDha.jpg

xYMVmoo.jpg

1dFeF9O.jpg

bMMNndr.jpg

rEkkxYN.jpg

QEtng0h.jpg

0xmidLR.jpg

81hkfdr.jpg

rBNhB30.jpg

XVpmsCe.jpg

Valentina on Vall

Spoiler

VwxWp2l.jpg

Zv0oYm9.jpg

0KC9NUg.jpg

HrHequH.jpg

1V14SRo.jpg

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: The Pol landing!

Allergy-Inducing: The Pol Landing

Completed by the "Guac" Vacuum Lander

I was stressed out from having less fuel left in Vall orbit than planned, so I came up with several fuel-saving techniques: I would use only one engine because KER said I had more dv if I did that, and I would land on Pol with Val's EVA pack. Oh, and a Tylo gravity assist, of course.

73kJC7W.jpg

Spoiler

efwv2k0.jpg

Mid-course adjustment

RiU5evK.jpg

Thanks, Tylo!

x16LfUU.jpg

DKcjCcE.jpg

5eu2e8X.jpg

cDqagPI.jpg

A2SdHqw.jpg

Val is ready to make history with my first EVA landing. 

wsJ4GfV.jpg

rhiQimT.jpg

2h7DGlU.jpg

I sure wish I could see shadows on terrain... it makes landings so much easier...

z2OcIqS.jpg

4u3goKy.jpg

For some reason, Val's expression is like she's stuck here forever. What could make her think that? If Bradley Whistance can do this, then so can I!

Spoiler

Iol8lPl.jpg

Val has confirmed Pol is poky.

3k2eDtM.jpg

Val has done the math and is happy that she'll survive.

EfqdCZA.jpg

sBWOkKk.jpg

ehThooY.jpg

GB9ZVyW.jpg

With only .14 EVA fuel to spare. 

kXzhWwz.jpg

Coming up next on Journey of the Avocado: The Tylo landing! Plus, the scariest aerobrake ever...