"Experiment" button shows available experiments even though the experiments have been done before

Anonymous Bug Reporter

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bit | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K | GPU: Radeon RX 580 | RAM24 GB

The "Experiment" button in the Vessel Actions UI turns blue and allows you to press it when it shouldn't. It seems to check whether the experiment is in the vessel's experiment storage, rather than whether the experiment has been done previously. This doesn't work when you revisit a location that you have been to in a previous flight or when you transmit data. After clicking the button, it runs the experiments, which result in 0 science. 

I've had this issue as well, or a lot of science experiments being done/taken that then read "0" in the science value, which is AFTER the science was done AND returned by an eailier mission.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 (latest) | CPU: I9 CPU Intel | GPU: 3060 6 gb (laptop) | RAM16 GB

As title says, the blue ping will go off even if your craft cannot collect any new science. This is not good, obviously as it may cause a loss of EC and more work from the player than needed.
How to replicate:

Send a craft with only, for example, Science Jr to a destination and collect science at that location then transmit/recover that science.

Send a second, identical (in science gathering capability) to that same location. The ping will go off even though there is no science to gain.

Hope this makes sense.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: Kapybara mod + dependencies | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-core Processor | GPU: NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM15.91GB

Overview
Severity: Very annoying. Please fix asap
Reproducibility: 100%
Summary: Fake experiments clutter the science tab with zero science experiments.

The Problem

So by now I think everyone has noticed the science goes "CLICK ME I HAVE SCIENCE" way too often.
You do the science and you get: image.png?ex=659318f6&is=6580a3f6&hm=bc6

This is very annoying for three reasons:

1. it clutters your science overview with a bunch of zero science experiments you already performed, making it hard to find the actual experiments that are worth science.
2. Transmitting your science, also transmits the zero science experiments, which makes up like 80% of all your experiments, draining your battery even before you can transmit the real science. (But then again finding the real science is hard because the page scrolls too quick (like the PAM) and there's many zero science entries)
3. The repeated fake "CLICK ME SCIENCEEEE" makes me want to not click the science button, potentially missing out on real science.

The Cause

The game thinks you're landed, even though you are flying/coasting/orbiting over land.
It shows me to do science for water landed state. Even though I'm just flying over the water biome
image.png?ex=65941ca5&is=6581a7a5&hm=ebd

image.png?ex=65941d9a&is=6581a89a&hm=7b4

(These images are on a modded game, but I tested it without them and it still happened)

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: Kapybara mod + dependencies | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-core Processor | GPU: NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM15.91GB

Overview
Summary: Fake experiments clutter the science tab with zero science experiments.

The Problem

So by now I think everyone has noticed the science goes "CLICK ME I HAVE SCIENCE" way too often.

1. it clutters your science overview with a bunch of zero science experiments you already performed, making it hard to find the actual experiments that are worth science.
2. Transmitting your science, also transmits the zero science experiments, which makes up like 80% of all your experiments, draining your battery even before you can transmit the real science. (But then again finding the real science is hard because the page scrolls too quick (like the PAM) and there's many zero science entries)
3. The repeated fake "CLICK ME SCIENCEEEE" makes me want to not click the science button, potentially missing out on real science.

The Cause

The game thinks you're landed, even though you are flying/coasting/orbiting over land.
It shows me to do science for water landed state. Even though I'm just flying over the water biome

(These images are on a modded game, but I tested it without them and it still happened)

Actually, it doesn't show your vessel is landed, it shows that there is available science if you land at that biome. I found this confusing too and maybe that txt needs to be more clear.

This is not a bug. It works as intented.

But there could be different colors or changing icon for that flashing science to represent where closest possible science for current situation is, low orbit, high orbit, atmospheric flight or landed.

Summary: If it flashes and shows landed, it means you get science if you land at  that biome.

Edited by Jeq

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i7 | GPU: Nvidia 1660 TI | RAM16 GB

When flying my craft, upon leaving the atmosphere for the first time the "Science available" indicator flashes, but says that some of the available experiments need to be run by a kerbal on EVA. I exit the craft with my kerbal, right click the kerbal, and then click the "Crew Observation" button. I hear the science ding sound effect, the button disappears. Upon re entering the craft, opening the science menu shows no additional data to transmit, not additional samples in storage, and the science available indicator is still flashing. Upon rexiting the craft I can do the same steps again to no apparent effect.

The button flashes once you hit a new research location - REGARDLESS of how much science you could collect with what you have on board. Zero science available, but you haven't "collected" it on this run? Light flashes. This is a bug - it should only flash if you can collect a non-zero amount of science.

To reproduce:

• Start new Exploration game
  • Launch just the capsule - no other parts
  • Perform all experiments, including EVA surface analysis & crew observation
  • Recover capsule
  • Relaunch just the capsule - the research notification is flashing again.

This pattern repeats regardless of research location or experiments on board.

Edited by Bombaatu

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM32 GB

So I really love the science button, however I’ve noticed a few times now that it blinks to indicate available experiments, only for the experiments to result in zero science. I assume it’s detecting and re-running old experiments that have already been tapped out.

Steps to reproduce:
-Launch a craft and collect science (this bug seems most common with collecting science in flight over Kerbin)
-Return with the science
-Launch the same mission and observe science button lights up and you can collect science again, but the science collected has no value

Included Attachments:

On 12/20/2023 at 2:32 PM, Abelinoss said:

Overview

The Problem

The Cause

Included Attachments:

These are two unrelated bugs, I think. The 0 science spam thing happens always and for all instances of experiments, no matter what status the craft is in. Well, I'm not sure the 0 science thing actually is a bug, I think it's just the science not being implemented very robustly at the moment, definitely needs to change though.

Edited by Deadly_Laser
Clarification