[WIP] ASET IVA for the External Command Seat

kurgut

2cU67eq.png

ASET IVA for the External Command Seat

This is mod idea I had dreamed for so long about, an actual interactive IVA for the stock External Command Seat ! :) 

Currently, the only way to see in 1st person view in the ext command seat is with Through the Eyes of a Kerbal mod, but you can't add any props to it (you can but it's janky and will not work well), so I did a little hackery here and there, converted the part to an actual pod-like behavior, and started laying out the props !  
For now, this is a low tech orbiter/lander version, but I'd like to make several flavors of this : orbiter/lander high tech (with MFDs and modern style props), plane low and high tech, and a rover high tech.

• Todo :

- Currently there is one drawback with the way this is done : To make this IVA possible, I added a part similar to the ext cmd seat, but without the KerbalSeat module, and replaced it with module command, to make it behave like a normal pod, the Kerbal is then not visible on the external model anymore, but I could go around this by adding a B9partswitch model of a kerbal, for the player to turn on/off at his convenience, I'll see. Alternatively and for now, you can enable the IVA overlay, which is already cool in it self and arguably better, since it will display the props too.
- Polish the external appearance (back side) in external view with IVA overlay ON.

- Make other versions of this IVA ( and add Reviva support for it) : high tech orbiter/lander ; low/high tech plane (so with instruments and layout specific to planes) ; high tech rover ; MAS high tech ?

- look at VR compatibility

• Dependencies : 

Module Manager

ASET consolidated Props and avionics
RasterPropMonitor

• Optional but recommended mods :

NearFutureIVAProps : Only adds the small post it decorative elements.

• Links to WIP releases :

- Releases · kurgut/ECS_IVA (github.com)

• License, credits and thank you :

- License : (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)

- Contains Assets derived from ASET props and avionics mods (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0).

- Once again, warm thanks to @JonnyOThan for his help with blender/unity. IVA creation is an obscure matter for the uninitiated for sure ^^

• Pictures (click to enlarge) :

- Center panel :

Spoiler

SKfjP3D.png

- Left panel :

Spoiler

kCdz20u.png

- Right panel :

Spoiler

dlSQrkW.png

- External view with IVA overlay ON (design/layout unfinished) :

Spoiler

24s0IqB.png

Mun Sunrise :cool: 

Spoiler

lJlNzDB.png

Cheers and happy IVA-ing ! :) 

Edited by kurgut

Small update

Adds backface panels for the external view with IVA overlay ON.
Adds a seat that can swivel to go EVA by the back (that was pain ^^)
Add cockpit lights too (iirc they weren't there before, idk)

Release 0.2.4 · kurgut/ECS_IVA (github.com)

pics :

Spoiler

ae6PtYn.png

AWq0iu8.png

Swivel-ing seat !

UfNZfws.png

Edited by kurgut

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Bit of progress for ECS_IVA : added a "plane low tech" variant. For now it's just a copy of warbird's bonny internal, applied to the ECS part.
Still need edits and not yet released. (actually it could be confusing : it is the external command chair, but strapped inside a biplane. Could be mistaken for an actual cockpit) 
Pics: 

Spoiler

U8b3MAZ.png
BbiEVFl.png
MKFBdmZ.png

Moving pictures :)  :
https://streamable.com/oo1vnp

Edited by kurgut

Posted (edited)

New WIP release : 0.3.1
Release 0.3.1-hotfix · kurgut/ECS_IVA (github.com)
- Adds a new low tech plane IVA variant : an interior inspired by the J-3 or equivalent old prop planes, (and by warbird cockpit mod : ) ), with the bare minimum instruments required to fly. : )
- New dependencies : Reviva and B9partswitch (to allow switching between the different IVA flavors of this mod).

Pics :

z5t1L0g.png

Right side :

Spoiler

hj7kAn3.png

Left side :

Spoiler

OCAxudk.png

External view with IVA overlay ON :

Spoiler

MHoTjmO.png

r2PCp0a.png

Quick showcase video :

:) 

Edited by kurgut

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Kurgut, I've got a problem, I'm using a non-stock techtree (CSI to be specific), and the external seat is very early game but the iva one is very late game, is there anything me or you can do to move them together?

9 hours ago, WolfieKSP said:

Hey Kurgut, I've got a problem, I'm using a non-stock techtree (CSI to be specific), and the external seat is very early game but the iva one is very late game, is there anything me or you can do to move them together?

Hi, for now you can go in the config of the part and change the line "techrequired" to "start", but I'll include a patch for it in the next release : )

Cheers

4 hours ago, kurgut said:

Hi, for now you can go in the config of the part and change the line "techrequired" to "start", but I'll include a patch for it in the next release : )

Cheers

Thank you! you've got to be one of the best mod devs around!

• 4 months later...

@kurgut So, according to: "I could go around this by adding a B9PSwitch model of the Kerbal for the player to turn ON/OFF at his convenience, I'll see." please do this, i will include this in my mod.

Ps. this code is working only partially, the model is switching but still no visable kerbal:

@PART[seatExternalCmd_IVA]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
        moduleID = seatExternalCmdmod1
        switchInFlight = true

// Definicje podtypów
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = seatExternalCmd
            title = "External Command Seat"