Side missions i would recommend avoid right now.

Jeq

Don't take Laythe or Eve missions:

There is high atmospheric  heating problem which makes it hard to do these missions with fine tuned quality.

Laythe also has surface problems so wheels seems to be useless at some parts of laythe (Hills). 

Laythe mission could be only be made with ships but i think ships physics are still in diapers, combined with that high atmospheric heating bug.

Edited by Jeq

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

You guys made it to Laythe?

I was there with wheels yesterday :D I think i wait these couple missions until bug fixes. But overally its now great experience. Actually i am recording all missions currently to bug track them better, later.

Edited by Jeq

Just now, The Aziz said:

Weird. I can't do it without knowing transfer windows and dv requirements.

There's a mod for the transfer window.  Several, in fact.

As far as dV, I assume you are talking about correct calculation of your stages?  Because the dV map used for KSP1 should still tell you what you need.

12 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

The game tells you the dV requirements in the VAB. Whether or not they're accurate I don't know. I use the dV map I've always used in KSP1.

Regarding transfer windows, I can confirm that AlexMoon's KSP1 transfer calculator works perfectly. Just ignore everything else and plot your transfer within a day of when it says to go and you should be able to get an encounter.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I use my old ksp 1 charts for dv requirments. I dont use internet dv map because i want to learn my way. For tranfer windows i just make maneuver node, if it doesnt match then i warp and make new node, it is big pain currenlty but can be done, and maybe it is good practice right now.

9 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Regarding transfer windows, I can confirm that AlexMoon's KSP1 transfer calculator works perfectly. Just ignore everything else and plot your transfer within a day of when it says to go and you should be able to get an encounter.

Thats what I did. I know they've talked about it but a transfer window calculator + alarm clock would be amazing. 

9 hours ago, Jeq said:

I use my old ksp 1 charts for dv requirments. I dont use internet dv map because i want to learn my way. For tranfer windows i just make maneuver node, if it doesnt match then i warp and make new node, it is big pain currenlty but can be done, and maybe it is good practice right now.

The phase angle calculation is not too hard given the orbital elements. Also, the trick I use is that when the planet is rising at the right time to leave in that direction, it's in the right place for a transfer. That probably doesn't make too much sense in text, but just watch where the planet is rising when you're doing a successful transfer and you might just notice a pattern.

To expand on what I wrote above, here's the list of mods I use to go interplanetary:

• MapView Focus and Targeting.  Shameless plug, but things get too cluttered when trying to select an actual celestial body without this.
  • Transfer Window.  Once you have the target selected, this little beauty shows you the current phase angle, target phase angle, and the projected dV needed (might not always be 100% accurate).  It then lets you warp to the transfer window...although it sometimes overshoots the angle by 1/10 of a degree.
  • Flight Plan.  Similar to MechJeb in that it can create the maneuver node for you.
  • Maneuver Node Controller.  Allows tweaking of said node in small increments.
  • K2D2.  Similar to MechJeb's "Execute Node" function.  I trust it implicitly for burns...although using it for landing isn't recommended (there are known issues with landing using this mod, so son, you're on your own with that).

Here are links to the forum threads (in spoiler!) for all of these:

For the actual dV requirements, as has been mentioned, the existing maps and calculators for KSP1 are still applicable.

On 12/31/2023 at 9:14 AM, Superfluous J said:

Regarding transfer windows, I can confirm that AlexMoon's KSP1 transfer calculator works perfectly.

I was wondering whether they had changed the starting positions of the planets, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just eyeballed my Jool insertion and got myself a Tylo gravity brake for the capture, and another Tylo gravity brake to get down to Laythe's orbit. Landed on Laythe…

It took me over 50 different quick save/quick load instances to escape the planet. On one hand, I like the idea of hazardous terrain, like mud or tar pits, in a "Kerbinlike" such as Laythe. On the other hand, this is clearly not intended, so I'd rather they make it a biome you have to fly over or get huge rovers onto, where aircraft wheels just sink.

In this bug, there exists gameplay opportunities.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just trying the laythe mission with a space plane, though I need to design and launch a return vehicle for the crew/surface samples.. was waiting for the most recent patch to do the actual landing (and see if my plane even works lol)

I have just been able to get consistent with capture gravity assists using laythe or tylo and that's helped a ton on dV.

On 1/2/2024 at 10:46 AM, regex said:

I was wondering whether they had changed the starting positions of the planets, thanks.

I have had mixed luck with AlexMoons calculator. Either I am missing something obvious (though I have tried a bunch of things!) or KSP2 drifts from KSP1 over time, so by 80y it's basically unusable. For now, I just eyeball it.

To clarify the main issue is the predicted phase angle being widly different from the actual ingame planet positions on the day specified. So it's not departure angle or more minor details which are messing me up.

Edited by byaafacehead