Author: @cheese3660

2.5x-Kerbolar-System

Description

Upscales your kerbolar system 2.5x

Known Issues:
- There seems to be a bit of a runway incursion on the KSC runway
- The KSC's boat dock seems to have dried up
- The clouds can look funky at certain angles
- Missions aren't respecting the new atmosphere height.

Spoiler

kfwoEt2.png
Image credit: 

Dependencies

Edited by cheese3660
bump

Just played through the stock game with 50% rewards (is there a way to go lower?), which wasn't that difficult.

So this mod comes at the right time. I liked 2.5 scale in KSP1 because it was hard enough to be a challenge, but still doable with stock parts.

Edited by AndyMt

There appears to be time warp issues with this mod that prevents timewarping above x4 speed (two ticks up) while below ~173km alt.  all the while, the orbit continues to climb in altitude (appears to be orbital decay bug in this case).  Being stuck in physwarp is annoying.  Not sure just yet if this is present on other bodies, but will keep trying to find out.

Also, is solar power supposed to be adjusted as well, since I noticed that my solar panels are producing about 15% of what I expected when designing the craft.

Edited by Itsdavyjones

Hi Cheese. Thanks so much for this mod, this is the perfect level of difficulty and new adventure I am looking for after being a long time KSP RSS player. 

I've made it out as far as Jool and trying to set up comms relays (as per the mission), and I seem to be hitting a bug with the solar panels and alignment. I have a clear path to the sun but the solar panels report being blocked by Jool. 

See screenshot for example

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014777693/screenshot/2278325040150853682/

57 minutes ago, Kron0 said:

Hi Cheese. Thanks so much for this mod, this is the perfect level of difficulty and new adventure I am looking for after being a long time KSP RSS player. 

I've made it out as far as Jool and trying to set up comms relays (as per the mission), and I seem to be hitting a bug with the solar panels and alignment. I have a clear path to the sun but the solar panels report being blocked by Jool. 

See screenshot for example

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014777693/screenshot/2278325040150853682/

What's this like? I'm a big lover of 2.5 - 3.7x scale for KSP, think it's the perfect sweet spot of challenge vs. casual.

12 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

What's this like? I'm a big lover of 2.5 - 3.7x scale for KSP, think it's the perfect sweet spot of challenge vs. casual.

I mean it's a bit early days, both for the mod and the game in general, but it's playable and very fun. I had a decent amount of challange trying to pin point land a probe on duna... ended up getting close enough and rolling it along it's side til I was in the right area 

Well, been playing a few days still, and a few things are known to me now.  Solar power is not adjusted, as it is calculated as normal with the inverse square law, but since the distances are increased by 2.5, the solar power at Kerbin is ~16% of expected values.  In addition, antenna ranges are not increased either to fit the new size of the Kerbol System.  But other than those problems, I've been enjoying the challenge of the increased scale.

1 hour ago, Itsdavyjones said:

Well, been playing a few days still, and a few things are known to me now.  Solar power is not adjusted, as it is calculated as normal with the inverse square law, but since the distances are increased by 2.5, the solar power at Kerbin is ~16% of expected values.  In addition, antenna ranges are not increased either to fit the new size of the Kerbol System.  But other than those problems, I've been enjoying the challenge of the increased scale.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I should likely increase the luminosity of kerbol by ~2.5^2, and then increasing the antenna range shouldn't be too hard either

Edited by cheese3660
square not fourth power

42 minutes ago, cheese3660 said:

In fact I am going to release such a fix in like 15 minutes

v0.3.0
Increases star luminosity and antenna range

Just got in and did a quick test for the solar since the antenna ranges are good now.  At Kerbin, solar power is at 96.75% of rated power.  While a little lower than expected, 3.25% less power is minor, compared to 84% less power.

18 minutes ago, Itsdavyjones said:

Just got in and did a quick test for the solar since the antenna ranges are good now.  At Kerbin, solar power is at 96.75% of rated power.  While a little lower than expected, 3.25% less power is minor, compared to 84% less power.

Thank you, and since a lot of the patches for this are modifiable (you can change the `$rescale-factor` variable at the top of both rescale.pach and antennae.patch), I'll likely keep it with the slight power loss, as I don't really want to break that configurability

Hey, as another big fan of RSS/RO here I really appreciate this mod, also nice with getting featured in a dev update haha.

So I guess the main comment I'd have about it, again coming from the RSS side of things (though obviously not suggesting anything as involved as actual RSS, unless that would be one of your future goals), do you know if you might also have plans at some point to introduce RSS scales as well? Obviously as there are different numbers of physical bodies as RSS some things wouldn't have direct analogues, but in those cases I guess it'd probably just make sense to go with 'whatever looks right'.

And perhaps in terms of any future plans, this is entirely arbitrary but I guess I'd also wonder how you'd feel about the notion of working on a framework that allows people to specify their own scale(s)?

Thanks again for this mod :)

On 1/10/2024 at 10:56 PM, Itsdavyjones said:

There appears to be time warp issues with this mod that prevents timewarping above x4 speed (two ticks up) while below ~173km alt.  all the while, the orbit continues to climb in altitude (appears to be orbital decay bug in this case).  Being stuck in physwarp is annoying.  Not sure just yet if this is present on other bodies, but will keep trying to find out.

Also, is solar power supposed to be adjusted as well, since I noticed that my solar panels are producing about 15% of what I expected when designing the craft.

Yes. For here. Timewarp annoying.  And there is atmosphere high changes? Because, if ship orbit on 100km Kerbol - AP and PE are not stable. Or it is only for me bug?

Thanks for mod. Its great. More difficulty more fun!

Edited by Chen Rossii

5 hours ago, Autumn.Fox said:

And perhaps in terms of any future plans, this is entirely arbitrary but I guess I'd also wonder how you'd feel about the notion of working on a framework that allows people to specify their own scale(s)?

You should be able to just open the two .patch files in the mod's patches folder and edit the value of the $rescale-factor variable to achieve that. (Note that you will need to delete Patch Manager's cache)

Edited by munix

6 hours ago, Chen Rossii said:

Yes. For here. Timewarp annoying.  And there is atmosphere high changes? Because, if ship orbit on 100km Kerbol - AP and PE are not stable. Or it is only for me bug?

Thanks for mod. Its great. More difficulty more fun!

I suspect the atmospheric height has also been multiplied by 2.5x which would put the atmospheric boundary at around 173,000 metres, which seems too high for this scale.

The default Kerbol system is roughly 1/10th the real solar system, if I'm not mistaken.  So this makes Kerbol correspond to 1/4 the real one.  So this deltaV map should fit?

EDIT:
Oh nevermind, it's not the Kerbol system, it's actually a quarter solar system.

https://imgur.com/7BzhIan

Edited by PTNLemay

17 minutes ago, PTNLemay said:

The default Kerbol system is roughly 1/10th the real solar system, if I'm not mistaken.  So this makes Kerbol correspond to 1/4 the real one.  So this deltaV map should fit?

EDIT:
Oh nevermind, it's not the Kerbol system, it's actually a quarter solar system.

https://imgur.com/7BzhIan

It should very roughly correspond to JNSQ:

Has anyone had issues with the Inflatable heatshield melting quickly? I'm trying to design a Laythe lander, and within seconds of entering the atmosphere the heatshield melts.

Mod List:

Spoiler

2.5x Kerbolar System (25xKerbolarSystem 0.3.0)
Alarm Clock (AlarmClock 1.2.1)
BepInEx (BepInEx 1:1.8.1)
Color presets (ColorPresets v0.1.2)
Commlines (Commlines 1.0.2)
Community Fixes (CommunityFixes 0.11.0)
Community Resources (CommunityResources 0.2.1)
Kerbal Life Hacks (KerbalLifeHacks 1.2.0)
Kerbal Life-Support System (KerbalLifeSupportSystem 0.5.6)
Kerbonaut Manager (KerbonautManager 0.2.3)
Lazy Orbit (LazyOrbit v0.4.0)
Maneuver Node Controller (ManeuverNodeController 1.1.1)
Micro Engineer (MicroEngineer 1.7.1)
Node Manager (NodeManager 0.7.1)
Orbital Survey (OrbitalSurvey 0.7.0)
Patch Manager (PatchManager 0.9.3)
Premonition For SpaceWarp (PremonitionForSpaceWarp 0.2.0)
Shoemaker (Shoemaker 0.1.0)
SpaceWarp (SpaceWarp 1.8.1)
UITK for KSP 2 (UITKforKSP2 2.4.2)
Where's My Crew Capsule (WheresMyCrewCapsule 0.0.4)
WMCC Modules (WMCCModules 0.2.0)

• 2 weeks later...

One issue I can't fix in this mod is that I can't timewarp or return to KSC until the craft is over 170km but the atmospheric effects stop at 85km, i.e. vacuum starts at 85 km. I've tried to mix around in the mod files but alas I am to stupid to figure it out. It would be nice if atmospheres didn't reach far out into space, that is one of the things I love about KSP 1 rescale mods, you really feel the size of kerbin thanks to being able to orbit so close relative to it's size. If I need a 200 km orbit then it doesn't really feel as big anymore :(

I hope this issue can be adressed, the mod is otherwise fantastic :)