Dune: part 2

Ryaja

I just got home from dune 2, the graphics are absolutely stunning. I liked the movie in general too, what did y'all think about it?

I thought Dune 2 was a little bit more "story" heavy than 1 was, as in lots more telling stuff, lots less doing stuff. I don't recall how it goes in the books but I got the feeling that maybe they pushed some of the "boring stuff" that could have been in the 1st movie into the 2nd movie, so that the 1st movie would be better.

The first movie felt like a 90 minute movie even though it was actually 2.5 hours. The second one felt like 3 hours even though it was only... well actually it WAS almost 3 hours.

I'm not saying I didn't like it. I enjoyed it and will happily watch the next one.

But it'd be nice if they showed exactly how they got 50 people and a woman in a wicker basket riding car onto the back of a Worm.

...and then how they got off.

Edited by Superfluous J

once they get the maker hooks in you dont have to worry about roll, and you can just toss ropes. lynch dune still has some impressive worm scenes. with how little they showed sandworms in part 1 the jury is still out as to who has the better worms.

26 minutes ago, Nuke said:

once they get the maker hooks in you dont have to worry about roll, and you can just toss ropes.

"Just"

Sure that's possible for trained people with tons of practice, but it seems like Jessica would have gotten knocked around quite a bit in her little wicker basket. Should have shown her with a black eye and maybe a broken arm or something. :D

29 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

"Just"

Sure that's possible for trained people with tons of practice, but it seems like Jessica would have gotten knocked around quite a bit in her little wicker basket. Should have shown her with a black eye and maybe a broken arm or something. :D

in the books she was carried in a planquin (i think thats what they are called). its sort of a basket for passengers who are not worm trained. they show this in the previews for part 2. sayadinas (really bene geserits) are considered holy and are usually transported by others as a sign of respect, young children are also carried this way (they learn to ride the worm at 14). any other fremen who is not able to ride shai hulud (too old or disabled) go out into the desert to die.

Edited by Nuke

i havent seen it yet so idk.

also some of that stuff isnt fleshed out until dune messiah so you may still get to see it.

Edited by Nuke

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 10:46 PM, Nuke said:

once they get the maker hooks in you dont have to worry about roll, and you can just toss ropes. lynch dune still has some impressive worm scenes. with how little they showed sandworms in part 1 the jury is still out as to who has the better worms.

Random non-sequetor question, how do they get off?

in the books they mention riding the worm to exhaustion after which the worm sulks for awhile (becomes lethargic) before departing. hence the 20-thumper trip to the southern regions, you would need to call 20 worms to have the range. if you have range left in your last worm, just circle your destination until it gets tired. none of the movies show it but there is also a goad (pretty much just a drum) used to control a worm's speed to some degree, usually placed near the tail. suspensors are not used for the same reason you don't use shields.

of course if the fremen are insane enough to ride a worm they probably have a way to get off at an arbitrary time. i suspect the best way would be to run for the tail and jump off while someone is manning the makerhooks. one fremen can remain on to run the worm down. you may also be able to "beach" the worm on rocks and get off that way.  of course the worm would probably thrash its way back to the sand and so long as you fled uphill you could maybe survive. just taking the worm close to a rock formation you limit what it can do when you get off, and thus flea in the direction of the rocks. you used a natural feature to get on you might as well use it to get off.

The use of a solar eclipse in the same place as the binary sunset in Star Wars is very interesting for a movie coming out at this particular time...I wonder if having seen it in the movie will inspire many people to travel.