G Meter does not go into the negative when performing negative G's.

Good morning,

Minor instrument tweek I would hope.  Fly a plane and pull back on the stick, plane goes up.  Positive Gs and G meter goes up.  Push down on the stick, plane goes down. Negative Gs and the G meter still goes up instead of down.

Fast forward to the 3 minute mark and watch the G meter.  It goes up when push down on the nose.  And then goes up again when pulling up on the nose.

Thanks for your time.

What if the Gs you're pulling are sideways?

What if they're 45 degrees between sideways and down? 30 degrees? 60?

Gs are actually the value of a vector, and "negative Gs" aren't really a thing except as a convenient way to describe the affect on a pilot when doing a dive.

I think this might be due to pip culture misrepresenting nomenclature maybe?

48 minutes ago, DaveLChgo said:

Good morning,

Minor instrument tweek I would hope.  Fly a plane and pull back on the stick, plane goes up.  Positive Gs and G meter goes up.  Push down on the stick, plane goes down. Negative Gs and the G meter still goes up instead of down.

Fast forward to the 3 minute mark and watch the G meter.  It goes up when push down on the nose.  And then goes up again when pulling up on the nose.

Thanks for your time.

I'm curious if there are games you are taking this negative G model from?

G is a term to describe a specific amount of force.

1 -  Standard (Earth) Gravity.  When viewed in this light, negative G would be the absence of this force? 

Regardless of the specific maneuver:

The force applied will be a specific G equal to X. X is equivalent  of how many multiples of standard gravity.

I am trying to explain in a manner that does not come across as insulting. 

This is the approach many take. I hope this was helpful, even though I'm not the best at articulating my thoughts.

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

Gs are like distance, you can't have a negative amount of them. But the term "negative Gs" is used when it's in the opposite direction as usual, like acceleration and deceleration. There is technically no deceleration, only acceleration in another direction. The g-meter can't exactly differentiate which direction the Gs are coming from, and assigning it to a positive/negative scale as well would be difficult, especially for the infinite variation of potential crafts.

Edited by Kimera Industries

I know technically there is no ‘negative G-force’, but OP still has a point here… the in-game G-indicator shows both positive and negative directions

Posted (edited)

Good evening all.  

Some nice feedback and interesting discorse.  When talking about aircraft not spacecraft.  Positive G's and Negative G's are very very different.  In relation to the pilot Blackout (positive G)  and  Redout (negative G). 

Real life aircraft have had G meters for decades.  They show positive and negative.  The example below has 3 hands.  The current G hand would push the max positive hand and max negative hand.  This way the pilot can see after the fact how many Gs were applied to the airframe.
And to re-iterate the point, the G meter in game has a negative scale.  But it doesn't get used.   This isnt the argument of should negative G's be shown in space.  That's not the example shown.  Its the suggestion to the devs to make the G meter while in atmosphere work properly.

gm25-2.jpg

Since a plane typically does not fly sideways, side to side Gs usually are not an issue.   But then again this is Kerbol...   So OK you're right, we also need a working lateral G meter!!!

Edited by DaveLChgo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.