What do you think about Kerbal Space Program 2? I've wonder does the game will ever get full release after Take-Two closed its dev studio?

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

0.2.2 was released at the beginning of June...and nothing since.  I know people have said that the development branches are being updated on Steam, but I'm not putting any stock in that.

Exactly. No one should expect anything past 0.2.2 based on the branch updates. If we look at them today, we can see that:

- The Test and Voyager branches have not been updated since prior to 0.2.2. In my time tracking branches these have always been updated at least 1-3 weeks prior to a new update.

- The Development branches that are updated post 0.2.2 appear to be automated. They update on weekends and at times far past business hours. 

I know there was some hope for a rushed 0.3 or speculation of a "1.0" patch, but with 3 days until IG is unceremoniously closed I don't see anything like that happening. My only question is how T2 plans to spin this stoppage of development while still promoting/selling the game in it's early access state.

18 minutes ago, RileyHef said:

I know there was some hope for a rushed 0.3 or speculation of a "1.0" patch, but with 3 days until IG is unceremoniously closed I don't see anything like that happening. My only question is how T2 plans to spin this stoppage of development while still promoting/selling the game in it's early access state.

If I had to guess, the game will silently be delisted from stores

25 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

If I had to guess, the game will silently be delisted from stores

No reason.

• If you bought direct download from store.privatedivision.com, first off why, and second off: they have no reason to stop selling it other than the site going away, as they have no obligation to anyone.
  • If you bought from Epic Games, first off why, and second off: Epic doesn't hold developers to any standard, so the game can remain as is eternally.
  • If you bought from Steam, they can potentially leave the game in early access eternally, but they'd still be covered legally just by tacking a "1.0" text on it and not be liable for anything.

On the contrary, delisting an EA title from Steam grants automated refunds to any purchaser, and I doubt they're up to lose even more money.

5 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

If you bought from Epic Games, first off why

Steam isn't the be-all/end-all of games, you know.  I use Epic primarily for the free games on Thursdays, and it was convenient to continue using that as opposed to signing up for yet another account with yet another company.  Please keep in mind that what works for you does not work for everyone; please don't be dismissive of what other people may find better for themselves.

I think as far as Steam, the store page can just be left as-is forever.  Steam doesn't do much to police its rules, and abandoned EA titles are common.  As far as European consumer protection laws, we'll probably never get any official announcement that IG is closed or that development has stopped; I expect T2 will just go silent.   Leaving the Roadmap section on the store page seems sketchy to me, as it reads like a promise, but perhaps T2 legal has made a call one way or the other, or perhaps T2 doesn't think it's even worth the cost of their legal team's attention.  But I don't think they'll change anything regardless while they're looking for a buyer for PD, wanting to leave all options open for a potential buyer.

9 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Steam isn't the be-all/end-all of games, you know.  I use Epic primarily for the free games on Thursdays, and it was convenient to continue using that as opposed to signing up for yet another account with yet another company.  Please keep in mind that what works for you does not work for everyone; please don't be dismissive of what other people may find better for themselves.

Okay I first reported this (nothing against you) for possible off topic. Since I'm back from work and it is still here, I take it discussing game launchers in this thread isn't off topic, unless you're allowed and I'm not, so here it goes:

Epic offers free games, and that's where the positives end. Steam's forums are flooded with Epic customers asking for support since Epic doesn't offer a form of discussion or contact. They've let their store be flooded by crypto/nft scams after forcing all users into arbitration with a new EULA, compounded with the fact their human support is abysmal.

Even if you chose to not purchase there and submit yourself to a subpar experience on anything that isn't giving them money, they've been a cancer for gaming and games:

• Helped bring Tencent to the West.
  • Buying off and then killing/forgetting about studios (like fall guys too).
  • Scamming people with the Save the World mode on Fortnite.
  • Bringing exclusivity wars garbage to PC, though devs are slowly realizing that people just don't buy games on Epic, most recent funny failure being Alan Wake 2.
  • They talk about giving better shares to the devs but some of those some extra costs of transactions are pushed onto the player. 
  • Their account security is subpar garbage. <- Did you know they deleted their own report? just found out whilst sourcing it. Still, here it is.
  • They started off their "famous" sales by not telling the devs they'd devalue their games.

I could probably go on for longer, and that's just on the player's side, if you check on the dev side... But hey, they give free games, and people are free to choose.

Finally, to keep topic-relevant, the points about their human support being subpar applies a lot to trying to refund KSP2 past the arbitrary refund window (impossible through Epic, hit and miss on Steam), and the quality of the store and guidelines for publishing games is what protects Take Two from leaving an unfinished, soft canceled "early access" game in there with zero fear of repercussions.

@PDCWolf

I cannot disagree with you on the lack of support through Epic.  Fortunately, I have had to use the Steam forums for support for anything in a long time (sometimes if I'm stuck I'll Google my issue, and the Steam forums pop up), and I have learned to just avoid them at all costs anyhow.

I cannot comment on the refund policy as I have not tried to refund anything through Epic (KSP2 is the only game I've purchased from Epic, and I'm just gonna keep it at this point).  I do know that getting around through either service is an exercise in futility if you are outside the window, though.

I also cannot comment on anything you stated in that list as I honestly don't follow gaming that closely.  Sure, some games I'm up to date on.  But most of them, especially the small ones, fly way over my head.  I will have to take your word for it until I get the gumption to do the research myself.

All told, I'm not really a fan of how gaming got to this point with either Steam or Epic.  I'm old-school; I like having hard medium.  I like popping a disc in the tray, listening to the slow hum of it spinning, playing right from the disc itself.  I really don't like downloading games; I am always afraid the download will fail or get deleted and then the company is like "Too bad, so sad".  But as I have no choice, I went with Epic because of the free games.  Free is in my price range.

Also, you brought up launchers, so I'm not surprised nothing was deleted.  Then again, the mods could swoop in here at any time, so...:shrug:?

Edited by Scarecrow71

9 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

They've just put it on summer sale so it's not coming down anytime soon :valjoy:

All the more important to make KSP2s current status known so more people don't fall for it.

On 6/26/2024 at 9:00 AM, PDCWolf said:

On the contrary, delisting an EA title from Steam grants automated refunds to any purchaser, and I doubt they're up to lose even more money.

Where'd you hear that? I have EA titles which have been delisted but I was never refunded for (Hellion).

There are also dead EA games on Steam (Grav) still being sold.

KSP2 can literally remain in its current state forever on Steam.

7 hours ago, Phoenix84 said:

Where'd you hear that? I have EA titles which have been delisted but I was never refunded for (Hellion).

There are also dead EA games on Steam (Grav) still being sold.

KSP2 can literally remain in its current state forever on Steam.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/earlyaccess

• Q: What happens if I don't complete my Early Access game?

A: Sometimes things don't work out as you planned, and you may need to discontinue development of your Early Access game before you are ready for a V1.0 release. If this happens, you can contact Valve to figure out the next steps. There are two options:

If your Early Access game is playable and well received, but you're unable to develop it to the point where you feel it warrants a full V1.0 release, then we can keep your game on the Store, but otherwise remove it from Early Access. This will remove the Early Access tag and Early Access Q&A displayed on your game’s Store Page, but not start the launch visibility that comes with definitively releasing your game out of Early Access. This would be a permanent change; we aren’t able to reenable Early Access again later, so please consider this option carefully before contacting us with the details. In this case, you should let your community know about your decision to leave Early Access via a forum post or news event.

Alternatively, we can remove your Early Access game from Steam. Before reaching out, you should read about the process of removing a game from Steam and take a moment to carefully consider whether or not pulling your game down is actually the right choice. Are you acting based on an emotional response to negative feedback, or is retiring your game the appropriate next step? We take our relationship with customers seriously, so if you choose to cancel development of a game and retire it from the store, we will not republish it again later and we may offer refunds to any users who purchased it. Treating customers fairly is the most important thing to us.

Language doesn't specify automated refunds, but it is a possibility. Mostly Steam just limits themselves to enabling no-limits refunds and leaving it at that, like they did after the recent HD2 debacle.

2 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/earlyaccess

Language doesn't specify automated refunds, but it is a possibility. Mostly Steam just limits themselves to enabling no-limits refunds and leaving it at that, like they did after the recent HD2 debacle.

I read that as "we may provide the option to users to refund the game", not that it's just something they'd do automatically without input.

If steam auto-revoked (even providing the money back) games from users' libraries, that would not be received well by the community.

I don't care if I paid for a game, I don't want it removed without my input, even if I can get my money back.

I think it was meant more as an automatic granting of refund requests would then result.

With many complaining of an inability to refund.. the logic to keep listed would be based on preventing those who have been unable ( up to now) .. to get a refund.

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

16 hours ago, Phoenix84 said:

I read that as "we may provide the option to users to refund the game", not that it's just something they'd do automatically without input.

If steam auto-revoked (even providing the money back) games from users' libraries, that would not be received well by the community.

I don't care if I paid for a game, I don't want it removed without my input, even if I can get my money back.

Steam has done this before, but only in cases of licensing disputes AFAIK.