Wonder what happen to original KSP after KSP2 failure?

On 6/5/2024 at 6:12 AM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

KSP2 developement defnitely had an impact on KSP1.

Hype leading up to launch saw a spike in recorded player counts (likely higher than reported due lack of launcher use). They are falling off slightly but still remain higher than before.

Looking at steam, the players count is most certain NOT higher than before. KSP2's failure basically cut KSP1's playerbase in half, never to recover.

https://steamcharts.com/app/220200#All

October 2022: 5494 players
December 2022: 6000 players
February 2023 (KSP2 launch month): 8575 players
April 2023: 3293 players
June 2023: 2777 players, and it's basically stayed around there ever since.

[I'd have used screenshots if this forum would let me.]

KSP1 is still going to be played by its existing fans & followers, and a small trickle of new players who stumble across it, of course. But it will never return to its heyday of inspiring the next generation of scientists and engineers. KSP2 overshadowed it, crashed and burned and then got backstabbed by the corporate overlords the moment it looked to have a fleeting chance at recovery. All so Take-Two could pour more money into their next game named after a literal felony, which at this point seems it might never see fruition after all. 

:sigh:

Edited by Sirius628

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for theses numbers, this is what I was looking for. Do other guys corroborate ? 

It's such a shame, really. I can't even understand how a KSP franchise game can achieve to damage the OG while the fans and passionate players are so dedicated and so hyped for a new one. You REALLY need to fail strong to manage something like that. Congrats, KSP2 team.

I really hate games that are fully functional and fun and yet the dev teams keep adding random new features and tidbits just for the sake of keeping the game "updated" and keep re-interesting existing playerbases and new players with "here, come back and try this new fun tidbit!"  (Looking at you, Minecraft)

For this reason I from KSP2's first trailer only saw it as a potentially good thing at least for my own gameplay experience in KSP1.  Although I'm not super invested in the game right now, I really enjoy the gameplay and the true unlimited-size sandbox feel it has.  I really disliked the last update that added a bunch of inventory revamps such as the EVA repair kits and the mass-specific inventories and all that.  I don't really think that there's much to be improved in the base game of KSP1 that can't be added with mods, with the exception of maybe performance improvements.  And now that KSP2 has probably killed any more random bs updates, I feel free to enjoy the game for what it is and not feel like I'm being constantly pummeled in the face with random bs updates like a lot of other games are prone to do.  (*cough* Minecraft)

I'm really happy with where the game is currently at, and as long as it keeps running I'll remain a happy (although occasional) player.

Edit:

One more thought which has probably already been shared before:  The steam charts certainly indicate a drop in players, but given that many more long-term KSP-ers don't use steam to launch the game, it might not be super telling of the more long-term player base.  While KSP2's crash almost certainly affected KSP1 sales and probably had a big effect on the playerbase, I don't think it's going to have really any affect at all on my own personal gameplay.

Edited by RoninFrog

1 hour ago, RoninFrog said:

I'm really happy with where the game is currently at, and as long as it keeps running I'll remain a happy (although occasional) player.

Same, it's been nice to come back after a few years and play with some more hardcore mods (Kerbalism, JNSQ), it really feels fresh again, and it's kinda nice to know that there's no update on the horizon that's going to break my setup if I decide to take a break.

The only part of KSP1 that I think really could have done with an overhaul was the career mode mechanics... given that it needed pretty much redoing from the ground up, and there's only so much mods can realistically do. I had hoped that was where KSP2 would have really shined, but I suppose we'll never know now.

I never played KSP1. I started with KSP2. Had a lot of fun. But now that’s it’s over with I’ve switched over to KSP1 for the first time. And with a bunch of mods recommended to me… I’m not going to lie, If I would have known how good KSP2 is with mods, I would have never even played KSP2.   

On 7/13/2024 at 8:29 AM, Sirius628 said:

Looking at steam, the players count is most certain NOT higher than before. KSP2's failure basically cut KSP1's playerbase in half, never to recover.

https://steamcharts.com/app/220200#All

October 2022: 5494 players
December 2022: 6000 players
February 2023 (KSP2 launch month): 8575 players
April 2023: 3293 players
June 2023: 2777 players, and it's basically stayed around there ever since.

[I'd have used screenshots if this forum would let me.]

KSP1 is still going to be played by its existing fans & followers, and a small trickle of new players who stumble across it, of course. But it will never return to its heyday of inspiring the next generation of scientists and engineers. KSP2 overshadowed it, crashed and burned and then got backstabbed by the corporate overlords the moment it looked to have a fleeting chance at recovery. All so Take-Two could pour more money into their next game named after a literal felony, which at this point seems it might never see fruition after all. 

:sigh:

Yep. You're right. The only real spike to players count was at launch, when people still had hope for the sequel.

Stand Corrected

Player counts steadily fall after that and seem like it effectively slew its predecessor.  Litte green guys must be Sith

KSP1 will stagnate pretty much, eventually the modding will reach it's limits, and the flow of mods in general will stop. until the ksp ip is released from the shackles of taketwo the franchise is effectively doomed. I personally hope that an actual company with intent to make a great ksp sequel buys the ip but who knows. 

People will still play ksp 1 for a long time, it's a unique experience games like juno new origins just won't ever accomplish. I am very hopeful that eventually good things will turn out and we'll actually get the sequel we've been dreaming of, but it's pretty much just a waiting game now.