Postcards from Laythe - Cancelled indefinately

chobit-389

OH NO PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!!!!! Please ignore naysayers and keep drawing PLEASE.

I'm naysaying? He asked a question and I answered. At least the discussion was actually relevant to the topic.

At least the discussion was actually relevant to the topic.

Ya'huh, now it's time to talk about MY RABBIT. *stuffs Carl Sagan McFluffles into your face* DEATH BY DIABETES!!!

I've given up trying to make estimates on when I'll get an image done, so I'll just start using BobCat's "Soon"

Hopefully that soon really means soon

I'm naysaying? He asked a question and I answered. At least the discussion was actually relevant to the topic.

Personally, I like to imagine that Laythe's oceans are kept at a balmy 70 degrees Fahrenheit at the surface by the tidal friction. Obviously, that requires n-body physics that the game doesn't have. Considering that the planet's in KSP are all made out of impossibly dense unobtanium anyway, it's not too far fetched IMO for tidal friction to keep Laythe warm.

Personally, I like to imagine that Laythe's oceans are kept at a balmy 70 degrees Fahrenheit at the surface by the tidal friction. Obviously, that requires n-body physics that the game doesn't have. Considering that the planet's in KSP are all made out of impossibly dense unobtanium anyway, it's not too far fetched IMO for tidal friction to keep Laythe warm.

That's a fairly decent explanation. Freya still would have to have a bikini made of lead or at least one of those fancy magnetic field generators.

Nooooo, keep drawing AND write your novel. We want all of it XD

Imagining a magnetic field generating bikini.... That´s sooo 70´s fashion.

Edited by Thaniel

Imagining a magnetic field generating bikini.... That´s sooo 70´s fashion.

Creating radiation in clothes would be soooo 50's fashion.

Chobit, do I ever get my picture of Freya petting me? A cat? Or am I being stoopid again?

Creating radiation in clothes would be soooo 50's fashion.

Chobit, do I ever get my picture of Freya petting me? A cat? Or am I being stoopid again?

As Chobit stated, she is busy. She will be done "Soon".

Because the seas aren't real water. They are a water-ammonia mix which lowers the water's freezing temperature.

Source:

2NRpB.png

Doesn't matter, Laythe's surface is still a toasty 6 C according to the wiki.

xD This thread just loooves to de-topic itself, huh?

Heh, but that's because the original poster seems to be a fun person to me. ;)

More fun than a bag of rabid squirrels! I'll see if I can focus enough to paint something today

More fun than a bag of rabid squirrels! I'll see if I can focus enough to paint something today

XD Oh boy, my favorite activity! "Toss the Bag of Rabid Squirrels!" Whoever bursts the bag gets a free trip to the hospital! ;D

Also, let me be your muse, Chobit... xP

ON-TOPIC: Calm down the whoopass canning before Odin shows up again ;P

I'll see what I can get finished tonight, probably not much but I'll try. Things have just been slow

Too late.

Though it's not as bad this time at least, since it wasn't left to build up.

Hope to see some new art soon from you. It sounds like there's lots of ideas flowing along with all the off topic stuff.

Umm, is the "mobile" website meant to load inside the live preview thingy when im on my 3DS? Also the "mobile" website is a too big of a file for my 3DS to handle, so it doesn't load properly. So the "mobile" site isnt really a mobile site.

Edited by hotmailcompany52

It would appear that the mobile site tools provided by Wix, which Chobit uses, are aimed at the three biggest smartphone OS's, iOS, Android, and Blackberry. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if Windows Phone users had the same problem.

I just can't seem to please everyone... sigh

I wouldn't take it personally, Chobit, in this case it's a matter of someone else lacking the foresight to realize that there are more than 3 mobile operating systems in the world.

This would be one of those cases where other people screwed up and it only looks like it's your fault. Just out of curiosity, though, is there a way to disable the live preview entirely? It would fix things, and if desktop users are browsing the mobile site for some strange reason then that's their own fault. I basically know nothing about Wix, but that sounds like an option that they might have somewhere, (probably) a checkbox sitting in some lonely corner of the GUI where no one ever looks...

I'd like to raise the question again of the practicality of a "shirt-sleeve environment" on Laythe. I remember in the original thread that during the discussion of Laythe as a home for Kerbals it was brought up that Laythe orbits directly within Jool's radiation belt, and that its surface was a sterile wasteland.

I also know from prior knowledge that water makes a highly effective radiation shield, especially at any sort of substantial depth.

Continuing with this point, this one's for you, Chobit: Why not do a drawing of an underwater Laythe base? If anything, that'd be the best way to go about colonizing Laythe.

Well I'd have to scrap a bunch of the plans I'd had for PfL, Breathe and Leisure were painted long before I was aware of intended radiation belts. All I knew is Laythe had Oxygen, Water and Sand, and that was more than enough reason to paint those images

As for an underwater Laythe base, that'd be very difficult to construct, even on Kerbin.

Maybe when they add a Saturn analogue I could convince them to make "Titan" into a Kerbin-esqe world

Wait..... you say the oceans would be safe from radiation, ja?

They'd be the best bet to escape radiation.

On a What If sent to xkcd, someone asked about how much radiation would be absorbed by swimming in a spent fuel radiation pool.

Technically, only the very surface of Laythe's oceans would receive great amounts of radiation; anything below a certain range would be considered safe.

This could play well, because it doesn't have to be so deep as to have regular pressure problems or depth and light issues, either. ;D