Good news. The forum software license has been renewed for 6 months.

Vanamonde

6 hours ago, NiL said:

I would suggest not advertising such projects, actually.

... a new forum can't entirely replace it... to find the new one a new player would need to first get on reddit or such... Of course, carrying over the accounts is almost out of the question... considering that any new forum will not be a proper replacement... the "new forum" idea... the community on Reddit or Discord...

What project? What "new forum idea"? Perhaps I was unclear. Let me rephrase it for you:

For those, like me, who actually read terms and conditions,  and therefore have no social media and no discord, I created a forum on a free hosting site, just as a backup should this one go down.

No archive was mentioned, and it is not supposed to be a replacement for, nor a copy of this forum. It's supposed to be a place where one can go, if one day this forum is down, to share/get information about the status of this forum or any efforts to resurrect/replace it. Just a backup method for users without social media to keep in touch and keep each other informed.

I thought I was being helpful. Not to worry, I've deleted it now, actually.

Edited by boriz

As I've said before, if the Forum were to truly fail out of the blue then I'm sure that something, somewhere would occur either on a reddit (which i don't use) or a discord (which would possibly be horrendous), or something even else.  I'm also sure that whatever the community did initially would be communicated on the privately maintained and community supported site spacedock.info.  It isn't capable of hosting a forum as such, but it would be where most people could possibly go to find ANY information.

17 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

yet***

The fact that is was only renewed for 6 months is definitely telling. You don't renew something on a 6 month term in a company unless getting rid of it is in the cards as an option.

Unless of course someone paid out of pocket for it as a gesture for the community, in which case big kudos to them.

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

The fact that is was only renewed for 6 months is definitely telling. You don't renew something on a 6 month term in a company unless getting rid of it is in the cards as an option.

Unless of course someone paid out of pocket for it as a gesture for the community, in which case big kudos to them.

Seems like you mean, "ESPECIALLY if someone paid out of pocket..."

which yes is a great gesture but that kind of thing dries up eventually.

Welp, the shear amount of times when I try to load a page from a post and get a 502 error indicates there's a lack of resources for the website.  Was in the middle of catching up and this was the first page I could finally get to load.  Now if I can just post this reply....