[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

So........ has anyone used titan rocket boosters as a first stage?

If my load is light enough My Saturn II INT-18 uses the Titan White (UA-1207 IIRC) in a 4 On layout for the first stage. The Second stage is the S-II-Mod stage (Stretched S-II with J-2+ rockets.)

If the load is heavy I activate 1/2/3 of the J-2+ engines at launch. My station core took 3 J-2s at launch, My recent Launch of a Cooling module for the station was SRBs only.

I try not to launch with 4 or 5 of the J-2+ engines running. I can barely make 70,000 with that config.

If I only have a Gemini command module on the top of the Saturn II, I can get away with a 2x2 launch (2 SRBs + 2 J-2s at launch, 2 SRBs after releasing the first 2 SRBs and the other 3 J-2s turn on with the second pair of SRBs. Although that is a very slow inital launch profile and a bit fuel wasteful.

On second thought the latter might be with my updated UA-1207 CFG file. One of many FASA models I have made alternate CFG files for.

If the load is heavy I activate 1/2/3 of the J-2+ engines at launch. My station core took 3 J-2s at launch, My recent Launch of a Cooling module for the station was SRBs only.

I've made a Saturn 1B into a ssto. I eliminated the J2 engine, and its mount, and decoupler along with the H1s and fins on the first stage.

I put 2 SLS tanks between the S1b and SIVb tanks, and they had between themselves a decoupler. For propulsion, I used 5 J2s along with 2 NTRs from another mod. In place of the guide fins, I used decouplers and stock fins. In the LM adapter I put RCS tanks, batteries, and solar panels.

It was supposed to ignite the 5 J2s on the pad, deactivate the 4 outer J2s in the upper atmosphere, and use the 2 NTRs to get into orbit. Using what was left of the fuel, and RCS to deorbit the whole stack, it would decouple its fins prior to reentry. After reentry it would open its parachutes and decouple the stacks in half to prevent further damage upon landing. I was going to test this, but sadly my computer power connector port broke, and my computer died 40 sec in flight.

I've made a Saturn 1B into a ssto. I eliminated the J2 engine, and its mount, and decoupler along with the H1s and fins on the first stage.

I put 2 SLS tanks between the S1b and SIVb tanks, and they had between themselves a decoupler. For propulsion, I used 5 J2s along with 2 NTRs from another mod. In place of the guide fins, I used decouplers and stock fins. In the LM adapter I put RCS tanks, batteries, and solar panels.

It was supposed to ignite the 5 J2s on the pad, deactivate the 4 outer J2s in the upper atmosphere, and use the 2 NTRs to get into orbit. Using what was left of the fuel, and RCS to deorbit the whole stack, it would decouple its fins prior to reentry. After reentry it would open its parachutes and decouple the stacks in half to prevent further damage upon landing. I was going to test this, but sadly my computer power connector port broke, and my computer died 40 sec in flight.

That's, like, not a Saturn IB at all. It has been modified so much that I wouldn't even call it a derivative - more like a totally different rocket that just happens to use some of the S-IB parts.

That's, like, not a Saturn IB at all. It has been modified so much that I wouldn't even call it a derivative - more like a totally different rocket that just happens to use some of the S-IB parts.

Then lets call it a grossly mutated saturn 1b thats turned into something else

Found an issue most people might never have to deal with. In the ApolloCSM folder, there were two versions of the CSM_Latch_NRM.mbm file... one named like that, and then another named CSM_Latch_NRM GÇö -¦-+-+-+-Å.mbm. The latter was causing a crash for me when Load On Demand got to it. Deleting the file fixed the issue.

Also... this update is amazing now that I finally get to see it :D

Edited by SpacedInvader

We have weathered the Second Great Forum Derp lads, let's keep going

It wasn't a derp, they took the forums down to do some upgrading, but the upgrade wasn't nice, so they put everything back up the way it was. No derp.

I use no script in firefox and see no adds....

Hey Frizzank, are you going to add the F-1a? Because the F-1s did not even budge the test model of the c-8 I made with Procedural parts and fairings. I had to use more powerful KW engines to lift it. Then when the first stage cut out, I went to the eight J-2s on the second stage, they didn't have enough powerful to keep sustained flight either.

So the two solutions I see are:

Make two new engines each with higher thrust

Or

You could probably just nerf the weight of the C-8 tanks.

Either is fine with me. I just want it to be functional and beautiful. The tech stuff doesn't matter to me. lol You could make the whole rocket lighter tan a feather for all I care :P

Hey Frizzank, are you going to add the F-1a? Because the F-1s did not even budge the test model of the c-8 I made with Procedural parts and fairings. I had to use more powerful KW engines to lift it. Then when the first stage cut out, I went to the eight J-2s on the second stage, they didn't have enough powerful to keep sustained flight either.

So the two solutions I see are:

Make two new engines each with higher thrust

Or

You could probably just nerf the weight of the C-8 tanks.

Either is fine with me. I just want it to be functional and beautiful. The tech stuff doesn't matter to me. lol You could make the whole rocket lighter tan a feather for all I care :P

I just duplicated the F1 and rewrote it slightly as an F1-A. A slightly increased thrust and slightly increased fuel load as, I guess a way to emulate the more powerful and somewhat more efficient F1-A. Still looks the same, just a different part. I wonder if theres a way to shorten a part using the cfg, as a half-size Apollo SM for LKO operations.

I just duplicated the F1 and rewrote it slightly as an F1-A. A slightly increased thrust and slightly increased fuel load as, I guess a way to emulate the more powerful and somewhat more efficient F1-A. Still looks the same, just a different part. I wonder if theres a way to shorten a part using the cfg, as a half-size Apollo SM for LKO operations.

That's partly what I meant by a new engine. Just use the F1 model and give the config a second part module.

Same as the J2.

There were multiple J2 expansion projects, well only three lol

J-2S(This engine was also called the J-2X. Not to be confused with the J-2X of 2007+)

J-2T:

J-2T-200K

J-2T-225K (The Ks stand for how much thrust in Ibs the engine gives out)

The J-2Ts used aerospike nozzle designs.

The 2007 J-2X is not the same engine as the Saturn J-2, it just uses the same name.

That's partly what I meant by a new engine. Just use the F1 model and give the config a second part module.

Same as the J2.

There were multiple J2 expansion projects, well only three lol

J-2S(This engine was also called the J-2X. Not to be confused with the J-2X of 2007+)

J-2T:

J-2T-200K

J-2T-225K (The Ks stand for how much thrust in Ibs the engine gives out)

The J-2Ts used aerospike nozzle designs.

The 2007 J-2X is not the same engine as the Saturn J-2, it just uses the same name.

I am kind of playing around with the J-2Ts right now. Am reusing the SQUAD model as it has the best Toroidal Aerospike I have in my mod collection. They just barely fit on the 5X J-2 Plate. However the cfgs are not ready for me to release to the public, if anyone would be even interested. I just started them for My Saturn II project.

The aerospike from NovaPunch2 is a much better fit for the J-2T-2*0K IMO. The J-2T line as you can see here were toroidal (hence T) plug-nozzle aerospikes, not full "spiky" ones like Squad's.

A Frizzank style Aerospike would be interesting.

Neat, found a better picture.

-img snip-

Lol Ninja'd. Also Frizzank, I asked you a question in the first post of this page.

Edited by GoldForest

That old spike in NP has been around a while now, heh. It's one of those "I wanna update that someday" things :P

lol. Might I suggest a multi nozzled Aerospike?

negative on the F-1a im only going up to 1976

So how are you going to get the C-8 to fly?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.