[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I always though the efficiency of the Titan LR-87 in FASA was weird. Particularly because it's more efficient at sea level than vacuum (340 ASL vs 260 vac). But I thought maybe that's how it was....

Today I checked. The real values are 259 and 297. Very different. The LR-91 is also not realistic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LR-87

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/titan2.htm

But kerbal isn't realistic it's about a bunch of green guys shooting stuff into space using Fasa rockets which are frizzanks interpretation of the Gemini Apollo programs

All true, but I was under the impression frizzank strived to make more or less realistic parts... just scaled down for Kerbin. Other engines are much closer to real efficiency, so I thought maybe the Titan engines where an oversight and I pointed it out. If it was done on purpose, for balance with stock engines or to keep the Titan's deltaV down, then I understand.

All true, but I was under the impression frizzank strived to make more or less realistic parts... just scaled down for Kerbin. Other engines are much closer to real efficiency, so I thought maybe the Titan engines where an oversight and I pointed it out. If it was done on purpose, for balance with stock engines or to keep the Titan's deltaV down, then I understand.

Read the first page guys "These are Kerbal versions of NASA rockets, not NASA replicas. Replicas are not the direction I want to go with FASA. I want to keep it fun, simple, easy, and have it be a somewhat stock like in appearance."

I always though the efficiency of the Titan LR-87 in FASA was weird. Particularly because it's more efficient at sea level than vacuum (340 ASL vs 260 vac). But I thought maybe that's how it was....

Today I checked. The real values are 259 and 297. Very different. The LR-91 is also not realistic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LR-87

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/titan2.htm

I have not adjusted the ISP for those engines since i did the Mercury stuff so it was in need of some tweaking. The LR-87 ISP was backwards I also toned it down closer to the real world ISP along with the LR-91 and the A-6 Redstone engine.

BioHazard, you are correct, the settings are not "Real World" They Are Kerbalized. Also there are 6 different production versions for both the LR-87 and LR-91.

Lastly, The KSP game does not physically act correctly vs real world so without using a ton of additional mods to make everything "realistic" this is pretty good.

They are alternate engines. You can use M-1s if you want, but the official set up is the way I put it.

Err, hope this does not sound rude, but there was no "official" setup.

I have counted at-least 10 different NOVA configurations, including some without J-2s (M-1s and the J-2 replacement that evolved into the SSME.) Nova was never built and never contracted for full design. By using the Aerospace industry's standards, there was never an OFFICIAL NOVA setup. NOVA is a code name to a design study (Kind of like Aurora was for the ATB, later known as the B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber.) No definitive result was ever achieved as NASA decided to scale back (read that as Congress did that for NASA) and settle on Saturn V (or Saturn C5 as it was known at that stage.) No end result, other than the prototype parts for the M-1 engine ever existed for NOVA.

Now, GoldForest, what you are representing as the "Official" setup is one of the likely final contenders to the design study. But saying that was what would have been built... well Look at the YF-22 vs the F-22. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AIRCRAFT. They don't even have the same more than general appearance (Tails, wings and Fuselage all have different shapes.)

Read the first page guys "These are Kerbal versions of NASA rockets, not NASA replicas. Replicas are not the direction I want to go with FASA. I want to keep it fun, simple, easy, and have it be a somewhat stock like in appearance."

Oh stop that already. All he did was to offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM to Frizzank. Then, Frizzank may either choose to say "Oh, alright, I'll fix that" or "nope, that's how I want it". If he says that he'll change it, then he changes it. If he says he won't channge it, then Frizzank won't change it and the subject gets dropped. What you're doing here, though, is trying to make Frizzanks decisions for him. What has happened is that you have seen a lot of people who act entitled, and now you think that everybody who has suggestions for this mod have entitlement syndrome, even if they just want to give a piece of advice or a heads-up. Please calm down.

Oh stop that already. All he did was to offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM to Frizzank. Then, Frizzank may either choose to say "Oh, alright, I'll fix that" or "nope, that's how I want it". If he says that he'll change it, then he changes it. If he says he won't channge it, then Frizzank won't change it and the subject gets dropped. What you're doing here, though, is trying to make Frizzanks decisions for him. What has happened is that you have seen a lot of people who act entitled, and now you think that everybody who has suggestions for this mod have entitlement syndrome, even if they just want to give a piece of advice or a heads-up. Please calm down.

Yea....no that's not what I was trying to do it all. Nice attempt at trying to analyze my motives. I was simply trying to settle something. Look back there was three or four posts about kerbalized Nasa parts and of they are realistic or not. It wasn't really a making a decision thing or even a defense thing. I was more addressing the people who were analying the level of realism in the pack and what they thought it should be. No offense but I think you need to calm down.

Still, you don't need to respond to suggestions not directed at yourself. At all. That's not the first time you "defended" someone like this. And I can tell you this is very annoying to people who actually have useful suggestions if they have "No, the author is a god, everything he makes is perfect from the first go" and the like shouted into their face. Can't speak for others, but I always look for ways to improve stuff I make, and I do value suggestions. And it seems Frizzank isn't averse to them, either, looking as he just fixed the Isp problem mentioned... Also, quoting first post isn't an answer to anything nor does it "settle" anything. Frizzank might want to change stuff around or not.

Oh, and at least to me, implying that I'm incapable of going beyond what's was stated in the past or taking criticism is downright insulting.

Edited by Guest

Still, you don't need to respond to suggestions not directed at yourself. At all. That's not the first time you "defended" someone like this. And I can tell you this is very annoying to people who actually have useful suggestions if they have "No, the author is a god, everything he makes is perfect from the first go" and the like shouted into their face. Can't speak for others, but I always look for ways to improve stuff I make, and I do value suggestions. And it seems Frizzank isn't averse to them, either, looking as he just fixed the Isp problem mentioned... Also, quoting first post isn't an answer to anything nor does it "settle" anything. Frizzank might want to change stuff around or not.

Oh, and at least to me, implying that I'm incapable of going beyond what's was stated in the past or taking criticism is downright insulting.

Woah woah guys this is already getting out of hand! I wasn't trying to defend anyone! That was not my intention at all. All I was trying to do was point out what's in the mission statement on the first page, that's it! If you want to make this something bigger than it actually is then by all means go ahead, but I will not continue with this and get caught into another endless cycle where nothing gets solved and all we do is annoy the hell out of each other.

Also in the name of peace and sanity I wholeheartedly admit that in the past I have unabashedly defended modders in the past at the risk of stifling progress. I have since started to change and not just snapping to modders defense. However there are people on here who are (word moderators will not like) and it's not defense of the authors and modders it's just common decency. However I stand by my original I really wasn't defending anyone I was just trying to settle a discussion about what I interpreted as the purpose of the pack. I was probably mistaken but such is life.

Enjoying this quite a bit so far!

One minor quibble -- I've never seen a photo of the Saturn 5 with the "USA" markings on the 5's 500-series S-IVB stage. Only the 1B's 200-series S-IVB seems to have carried the marking.

That's what happens when people get bored. :) We need WIP pics to discuss, or something.

Also, shouldn't it be eagles? Bears were on the Russian thread. :)

The RL-10 is as much fun as I'd hoped it'd be. :) Just like NASA, you can stick them in nice awesome clusters in upper stages! (especially with the FASA interstages). Is it possible to have its emissive effect be simply bright blue-white on the inside of the nozzle?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.