[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

plus why aint a tractor good enought for shopping or picking up girls? have you seen this??

NuoCY8k.jpg

Here its going on a shopping run...

EKC3Yyp.jpg

Here its doing a 'drag' race, where it had to drag while dragging (in this case a porta-cabin... with no wheels)

BvlFyjo.jpg

Although that was lacking a bit in ambition, so here is a pic of a tractor with one hell of a weekly shop....

gBx94Vo.jpg

So the new reflection effects look amazing, BUT they are exponentially more expensive the more parts you put them on.

On just one part the frame rate drop is not noticeable, but on something like the Agena Atlas rocket where there are 5 reflected part, even my beefy system starts to chug. It goes away soon after launch but I don't want to force people to use the plugin if it cripples their system. I am going to do some more tweaks with it and get it to run as fast as possible on the Agena Atlas, I think its a good worse case scenario.

Also I had to go back and tweak some of the textures, but the results are an astounding improvement.

jtcRZaG.jpg

IVzrkv4.jpg

qz5H455.jpg

k7iC466.jpg

Also I got excited and did this....

No new parts just rescale of current ones....

DpYaeo1.jpg

50iwdri.jpg

This seriously changes the game. From functional but not really pretty graphics to (near) artwork. I feel it might be time to talk about massively upgrading the terrain and scatters too, as that would make KSP not only amazing in the gameplay department, but beautiful too.

Edited by Camacha

donnerwetter

seems my err. graciaz to focus on...

done, will be send 2 Frizzank asap.

Always glad to help. And thanks for the quick reply.

So the new reflection effects look amazing, BUT they are exponentially more expensive the more parts you put them on.

On just one part the frame rate drop is not noticeable, but on something like the Agena Atlas rocket where there are 5 reflected part, even my beefy system starts to chug. It goes away soon after launch but I don't want to force people to use the plugin if it cripples their system. I am going to do some more tweaks with it and get it to run as fast as possible on the Agena Atlas, I think its a good worse case scenario.

Also I had to go back and tweak some of the textures, but the results are an astounding improvement.

-snip-

Wow, those parts, those reflections. Can't wait to try out how my rig handles them.

I agree with Cdodders, the Souyz proved to be a vary realyable work horse. which is something the space shuttle failed to do because it was to expansive.

The shuttle was a 70t heavy vehicle which was able to make orbit with 24-25t of payload with 7 astronauts. That's almost 100t to LEO with the STS (!) with three RS-25 engines and two of the 4 segment SRBs with a cryogenic tank. The Soyuz is a launch system for approx. 7t to LEO which includes a frequently used transportation vehicle for a crew of 3. A shuttle launch cost was about 450 million dollars (2011) and a Soyuz launch is about 150 million (2011) so for a 14 times bigger launch capacity the STS is a heavy if not a super heavy launch system whereas the Soyuz is maybe a middle. The two are not the same category and weren't designed for the same variety of missions. The shuttle has never been used with full capacity (for eg. it could achieve a polar orbit and return safely). For ISS crew support missions it may have been a waste of money to send the shuttle but to deliver huge payloads with a service crew at once to orbit it wasn't.

Edited by Reddragon

Reddragon I am not downing Sts like some of these board that I have seen, I Just think we should have had more then one option. If you run a fright company you don't just have a supper heavy cargo transport.. but you use a lot of freight hullers, so your do not have to use a container ship or a tractor trailer to move a shoe box.

The Shuttle was and STILL is a great vision, It was just not taken tot he full advantage of what it was made for and they NEVER made a smaller version of the shuttle. I Feel that the Orbiter that they DID use was a heavy lift craft, NASA should have made a second much smaller one that was maybe half the wight of the used version to help with cost reduction. Since they NEVER used more than half the lift capability of the orbiter. I Stand by this option of mine and will be willing to discuses it. " BUT NOT IN THIS THREAD"

Now on topic!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what your doing here, sadly I have not used this mod yet as I am trying to get a few stock only challenges finished up, but once I get that done and I manage to launch a capital ship from a partner and I think it was classed as a frigate/heavy fighter into orbit I'll add in this to my modded install after some tweeking/removal of other mods and play around with it.

Keep up the good work i like it so far! !

Damaske

So We fixed some bugs and I have the reflection shader in a good spot. I would love to put it on everything but again performance is a concern of mine.

If you do have problems with (performance or otherwise) just shut down KSP. Then delete the plugin folder from the FASA directory and it will revert to its old non reflective self the next time you load.

Frizzank, I have a request. When you release the Apollo stuff completely (I am not rushing you, just saying when), could you please split you pack into parts like BobCat is doing? The download is getting bigger and bigger, and also it would be nice to be able to chose which parts of FASA you download if there is a part of it you don't want.

Moving on, I love all the new stuff you are making. The Saturn IB looks beautiful, as do the shiny parts. They make the Titan and the Atlas look much more realistic. And one last question: can you make the SI-B stage without a serial number? It looks to me as you are making bothe the CSM- and LEM-only configurations, and they were not launched by the same rocket (obviously), so having SA-202 written on the first stage would be really…strange looking.

Frizzank, I have a request. When you release the Apollo stuff completely (I am not rushing you, just saying when), could you please split you pack into parts like BobCat is doing? The download is getting bigger and bigger, and also it would be nice to be able to chose which parts of FASA you download if there is a part of it you don't want.

-SNIP-

I agree with this. Mostly. I think FASA should be two separate packs: Mercury-Gemini, and Apollo Project. The Launch Clamps might be separate too, to avoid conflicts. (Unless you plan on making some new ones for Apollo?)

Moving on, I love all the new stuff you are making. The Saturn IB looks beautiful, as do the shiny parts. They make the Titan and the Atlas look much more realistic.

Some people just want the science parts, some just the towers, still other just mercury. Most people however want all of FASA in one easy download. All programs are broken up into their own folders for easy deletion of packs you don't want.

Also creating and maintaining separate downloads would create yet another set of tasks for me to do and leave me with even less time for making rockets.

Luckily I don't have too, you can help me out by downloading the whole pack and just deleting the programs you don't want.

And one last question: can you make the SI-B stage without a serial number? It looks to me as you are making bothe the CSM- and LEM-only configurations, and they were not launched by the same rocket (obviously), so having SA-202 written on the first stage would be really…strange looking.

It's SA-205 on the side not 202, 205 was the first manned CSM Apollo 7. I was going to put SA-204 (Apollo1 & 5)on the side but it seamed a bit insensitive. SA-203 may be more appropriate considering the CSM is not ready yet.

Your not allowed to launch anything on top of SA-205 except a test block of the CSM. When I change the texture to SA-204 then you will be allowed to launch just the LEM. You are only allowed to put the rockets in there historically accurate configurations and any deviation will mean no candy for a week.

Well now that I am done with the sarcasm, I put SA-205 on the side because it looked better than if it was blank.

Also here is a cool picture for the size comparisons for the F1 engine and the Saturn 1B next to each other.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Saturn_IB_at_KSC.jpg

Edited by frizzank

Yes, I see what you mean with the separate download thing. Also, the serial number doesn't really matter, it's just my personal preference. Thanks for replying anyway.

PS: About the idea for display stands, the model for the Redstone launch clamp could be used as a stand, but the launch-clamp-ishness (extending legs) would need to be removed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.