[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Tried to use the conical wall panels and fairings in a Apollo CSM launch but when used with its decoupler the panels dont reach the CSM and if I use the fairings with their floating nodes it reaches the CSM but has a large gap between the bottom of the fairings and the decoupler

NVM I worked it out

A FASA thread exclusive...

Introducing FASA spacesuits by Green Skull Inc.

FASA3_zps081b3e79.png

Note the Apollo 11 mission patch

FASAApollo112_zps1316c0f4.png

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71509-WIP-Green-Skull-Inc-Kerbonaut-Kosmonaut-and-Orange-Spacesuits

Damn every time I look at a picture I see improvements :P

Edited by Green Skull
Add comment

I'd make one suggestion regarding the Apollo parts. I would incorporate the docking rings into the command pods rather than having them be separate parts. When you have the LM mated to a CSM, it's hard to find a spot to mouse over the docking ring part to undock. (Yes, I know they can be action grouped, but we all forget sometimes). It seems to me that there's no benefit to having them as distinct parts

It seems to me that there's no benefit to having them as distinct parts

As a separate piece you can put the docking port anywhere on your rocket you want. It lets you build your own custom layout and launch it.

Which is kind of the point of KSP.

frizzank, the Appolo CSM and LM are beautiful models, thanks :) I'm not sure if the wrong files were included by oversight, but it appeared that the connect nodes for the docking ports were not correctly configured, resulting in the ports being unusable. I've corrected the issues which were with the connect nodes, and also set a unique docking port ID so they are only matable with each other. I've uploaded the resulting config files here in case you want them.

DennyTX made the CSM and LM he gets all the credit for that.

Awesome thanks for the help. I know in real life the docking parts could only dock with specific ones but that gets a little frustrating to put every possible docking port on your refueling station. Im going to keep the nodes size0 so you "can" dock with the Jr. docking node. This way it can still work with stock parts in some fashion. Also the Gemini docking cone is size0 as well.

Bug report: The Mercury <-- picture

Weird white patch over main window. Happens on a clean install of KSP with nothing but FASA and Stock.

vvv not official bug report, needs testing vvv

I'm also going to say this; I think the J2 might be buggy, but I'm not sure. When I tried making a Saturn 2nd stage using Novapunch fuel tanks and a Novapunch 5 engine adapter, once I get to the 2nd stage and start burning the 5 J2's, it starts pitching or yawing and Mechjeb and I can't control it. If I replace the J2's with the Shuttle engine in Novapunch, no problem with pitching or yawing. This was with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed, but I'm not 100% sure about this bug. If other people could confirm/deny this, that might help. I saw one person made a Saturn V using the J2 engine already, and he never said anything about problems other than the J2's apparently having too much thrust.

Bug report: The Mercury <-- picture

Weird white patch over main window. Happens on a clean install of KSP with nothing but FASA and Stock.

vvv not official bug report, needs testing vvv

I'm also going to say this; I think the J2 might be buggy, but I'm not sure. When I tried making a Saturn 2nd stage using Novapunch fuel tanks and a Novapunch 5 engine adapter, once I get to the 2nd stage and start burning the 5 J2's, it starts pitching or yawing and Mechjeb and I can't control it. If I replace the J2's with the Shuttle engine in Novapunch, no problem with pitching or yawing. This was with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed, but I'm not 100% sure about this bug. If other people could confirm/deny this, that might help. I saw one person made a Saturn V using the J2 engine already, and he never said anything about problems other than the J2's apparently having too much thrust.

I confirm the Mercury Bug, was about to upload my own picture. I can not confirm the J2 bug but I only ran the SIV Stage with one of them.

RE J2 having too much thrust. I am totally guessing here but given earlier comments I am assuming Frizzank has tweaked the performance to match reported real life, not X fuel for Y Seconds at Z thrust, rather Flew this far at this speed kind of match.

Pappystein

Edited by Pappystein

I fixed the mercury glass bug, I think it has something to do with the reflective plugin. I dont know what is causing the J2 to do weird things, but you guys are getting ahead of me with the Saturn V rocket builds, I can only say that the S1B J2 stage works. I have not started on the 5x J2 stage yet.

New build to test

Added Apollo Inst Unit, acts as a probe core. Maybe add some science to it later? going to ask what the community thinks on that one.

Shrank the APS pod by 64%

Rotated the J2 fuel tank so KSP faced the correct direction

Reduced the J2 thrust some.

Fixed center of mass on LEM ascent module craft file, no more random spinning. The ladder leg and the un-ladder leg have different centers of mass.

http://www./download/os8xb1gr3fnqdrs/FASA3.85.zip

here's a pic of the setup. This is pre-3.85. That test didn't produce the wild pitching/yawing that I had experienced in the past, but it did try to roll, but the SAS controlled it. This is on a new install of KSP, so something might have been wrong with the previous install, but it's hard to tell. I'll just have to wait for .24

More bugs to eat.. report

It would seem the new version of the Gemini parts are in need of some more attention:

In the VAB with RCS balancer plugin showing bad offset of one of the thrusters on the Retro pack

Thrust visual is way out there

Both the retro pack and the utility pack are experiencing "far out" RCS thrust visuals.

Also, I trust RCS Balancer enough to say that that one port on the Retro pack is off, but we'll see.

Edited by Deltac

here's a pic of the setup. This is pre-3.85. That test didn't produce the wild pitching/yawing that I had experienced in the past, but it did try to roll, but the SAS controlled it. This is on a new install of KSP, so something might have been wrong with the previous install, but it's hard to tell. I'll just have to wait for .24

More bugs to eat.. report

It would seem the new version of the Gemini parts are in need of some more attention:

In the VAB with RCS balancer plugin showing bad offset of one of the thrusters on the Retro pack

Thrust visual is way out there

Both the retro pack and the utility pack are experiencing "far out" RCS thrust visuals.

Also, I trust RCS Balancer enough to say that that one port on the Retro pack is off, but we'll see.

I forgot about that tool, it helps a lot. Thank you..

Im in the process of patching sorry for the inconvenience.

I Will post an update when it is finished

Fixed white mercury window

Moved LEM decoupler to Structural

Balanced the RCS thrusters on Gemini pods.

Removed some more duplicate textures.

Fixed some spelling errors

Done now

http://www./download/m5gj6xdqwugj6ff/FASA3.85(2).zip

Edited by frizzank

Something's weird with the Apollo PLF decoupler. It jettisons with very little force, threatening the payload. It does look like the hinged version of the fairing somewhat (patch notes imply this was intentional), but IMO, this need to be done as a single part. Saturn V jettisoned those things precisely because one of them got stuck and caused safety concerns. The "normal" 3m fairing base is fine, though.

Also, the LM could use a custom mounting decoupler.

Edited by Guest

this need to be done as a single part

It would have to be a single part and then and animated. I like this way better, it is not perfect but a releasing hinge system does not exist in KSP, and this is pretty darn close to how it worked on Apollo 11.

I do need to make them blow out a bit faster, I really wish someone would make a detcord mod for KSP, so I could select any node and attach explosives to it. Just to get rid of those pesky decouplers.

Also the fairings are too short to house a csm engine and the LEM right now. I went for the correct proportions and a usual it has to be tweaked to work in KSP. Denny is still working on the CSM so it is hard to gauge how much room there needs to be, But I can give it a better guesstimation.

Go with a standard decoupler for Apollo 11 style, and add a single-part animated version for pre-Apollo 8 style. That's the best way to do it that I see. You could possibly do a releasing hinge system using Infernal Robotics, but this would require adding another plugin.

I fixed the mercury glass bug, I think it has something to do with the reflective plugin. I dont know what is causing the J2 to do weird things, but you guys are getting ahead of me with the Saturn V rocket builds, I can only say that the S1B J2 stage works.

Oops, I meant S1B stage.

I am actually looking forward to the Saturn V so I can make Saturn II :) I am big on alternate theory craft (my entire publishing career has either been Alternative Proposals or Data alignment.) Given all the Alternate Theory craft in FASA, I am hooked!

Pappystein

Edited by Pappystein

Oops, I meant S1B stage.

I am actually looking forward to the Saturn V so I can make Saturn II :) I am big on alternate theory craft (my entire publishing career has either been Alternative Proposals or Data alignment.) Given all the Alternate Theory craft in FASA, I am hooked!

Pappystein

Yes some nova builds would be a cool thing to see. Also on a side note I would love to do a 60's sci-fi mod that has all the fun conceptual stuff that never got made in the 60's. Drawing on images from styles such as Ed Valigursky and awesome 70's sci-fi movies like 2001 a space odyssey.

56f58b7b2aacda832240bef51e61539a_fed526188b2f398b5188a0f297d700f8.jpg

I'm hoping to have the first versions of my spacesuit packs including FASA out early next week. Can't wait to see some screenies of full on Apollo or Mercury replica missions complete with the correct ships, suits, mission patches etc. The FASA Gemini cockpit with one of those awesome looking LEM's on top will be a true testament to all the people on this forum who put in so much hard work to make this game so much greater than the amazing game it already is. I salute you all!

-Kerbonaut-Kosmonaut-and-Orange-Spacesuits

Edited by Green Skull

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.