[1.0]Vanguard Technologies | EVA parachutes | still works

Kreuzung

1 hour ago, PTGFlyer said:

I can't get a parachute from the box and I have VanguardTechnologies.dll. Does the mod still work?

No, it doesn't. The mod author is AWOL from a long time and every tries to make it work again has failed, for now.

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have a working version in 1.2, for the EVA parachutes

I don't know what else uses this,and need to do some work.

I'm going to send a message to @Kreuzung to see if he want's to pick it back up.  If not, I'll probably get this finished soon

I've made a new chute, more stockalike, seen in images further  up,i have a very buggy version(supernoob) i've been pestering for ages and still not cracked one issue, but then you're a pro, so it'll be easy .  If you'd like the stock alike chute for re release  I'd be happy to push it your way.

I had a strange exchange with Kreuzung recently and heard nothing since.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

@PTGFlyer @Nansuchao and anyone else, I have it working!!!

i. my particular stumbling block is that if the chute was applied by the chute box then the damn thing would pop out every time the Kerbal jumped off a ladder :) Good that you 've worked it all out, i can through this embarrassing version in the skip . Cheers

4 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I've made a new chute, more stockalike, seen in images further  up,i have a very buggy version(supernoob) i've been pestering for ages and still not cracked one issue, but then you're a pro, so it'll be easy .  If you'd like the stock alike chute for re release  I'd be happy to push it your way.

I had a strange exchange with Kreuzung recently and heard nothing since.

i. my particular stumbling block is that if the chute was applied by the chute box then the damn thing would pop out every time the Kerbal jumped off a ladder :) Good that you 've worked it all out, i can through this embarrassing version in the skip . Cheers

As long as the chute animations are the same, it should work. Please send them I don't like the square chute either.

I don't do graphics, so appreciate the help

I don't have the chute box working yet, 

I am getting the following errors:

Non-convex MeshCollider with non-kinematic Rigidbody is no longer supported in Unity 5.
If you want to use a non-convex mesh either make the Rigidbody kinematic or remove the Rigidbody component. Scene hierarchy path "VNG.XE.EjectionModule/model/node_collider", Mesh asset path "" Mesh name "Cube_001-mesh

Doesn't seem to hurt, but if you could fix that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, the parachute box doesn't seem to have any colliders.  Not sure yet what's going on with it, but if you could also take a look, that would be great.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

As long as the chute animations are the same, it should work. Please send them I don't like the square chute either.

I don't do graphics, so appreciate the help

I don't have the chute box working yet, 

I am getting the following errors:

Non-convex MeshCollider with non-kinematic Rigidbody is no longer supported in Unity 5.
If you want to use a non-convex mesh either make the Rigidbody kinematic or remove the Rigidbody component. Scene hierarchy path "VNG.XE.EjectionModule/model/node_collider", Mesh asset path "" Mesh name "Cube_001-mesh

Doesn't seem to hurt, but if you could fix that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, the parachute box doesn't seem to have any colliders.  Not sure yet what's going on with it, but if you could also take a look, that would be great.

Thanks

I'll send you the whole set of parts and you can try it with your code, I have chute and eject working okish in 1.2 .. and a quick bit of info, you can't use a normal chute as a replacement as it's set up completely differently and deploys differently (models and parts are my thing really I'm still well lost in most of the code)

Parts will arrive in your box very shortly,

6 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I'll send you the whole set of parts and you can try it with your code, I have chute and eject working okish in 1.2 .. and a quick bit of info, you can't use a normal chute as a replacement as it's set up completely differently and deploys differently (models and parts are my thing really I'm still well lost in most of the code)

Parts will arrive in your box very shortly,

Frankly, I think the idea of the parachute box is rather ridiculous.  I mean, for things like this, the chute will be part of the spacesuit, at least when near atmosphere.  So I've embedded the function which provides parachutes by default in the code, let me know if that makes sense

Another error in the model for the box:

If you want to use a non-convex mesh either make the Rigidbody kinematic or remove the Rigidbody component. Scene hierarchy path "mk1podNew/VNG.PB.ParachuteBox/model/node_collider", Mesh asset path "" Mesh name "Cube_002-mesh"

Edited by linuxgurugamer

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Frankly, I think the idea of the parachute box is rather ridiculous.  I mean, for things like this, the chute will be part of the spacesuit, at least when near atmosphere.  So I've embedded the function which provides parachutes by default in the code, let me know if that makes sense

Another error in the model for the box:

If you want to use a non-convex mesh either make the Rigidbody kinematic or remove the Rigidbody component. Scene hierarchy path "mk1podNew/VNG.PB.ParachuteBox/model/node_collider", Mesh asset path "" Mesh name "Cube_002-mesh"

I don't think you'll win with the original boxes,as they are past their best. Which becomes totally  irrelevant with the tweak you've added  which both makes  sense and is a change i very much like  , the box was a ....great idea at the time and I can happily wave goodbye to that. 

I Feel the ejection part should still be a thing, of course everyone and their nephew will add it to everything with an MM patch, but apparently there are some who don't like MM poor misguide fools,  if that works for you  I'll make something a bit nicer than the current ancient part.

10 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I don't think you'll win with the original boxes,as they are past their best. Which becomes totally  irrelevant with the tweak you've added  which both makes  sense and is a change i very much like  , the box was a ....great idea at the time and I can happily wave goodbye to that. 

I Feel the ejection part should still be a thing, of course everyone and their nephew will add it to everything with an MM patch, but apparently there are some who don't like MM poor misguide fools,  if that works for you  I'll make something a bit nicer than the current ancient part.

Yes, please do.

I'll just remove the box, then.

3 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Great to see this mod back. Thank you very much!

As a side note, I'm curious to know if this new version will work with Far.

Did the old one work with FAR?

23 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@SpannerMonkey(smce)

Very nice models, thanks.  I'll use them and credit you for it

6 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Yes, it did perfectly. Just the last working version needed a patch for a correct voxelization of the chute.

The patch was for what?

or how, was it in code or a MM patch?

Regardless, I can't test FAR right now, but will keep it in mind.  It most likely will work without any changes other than that patch, and if you get it to me, I can probably incorporate it

Once thing I need to do is figure out how to have the ejection part increase in weight proportional to the number of kerbals a pod can hold.

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Did the old one work with FAR?

ah yes that rumour, I found the 1.0.5 and 1.1.x versions wouldn't play with FAR at all as they are not a standard chute module ( so the real chute light MM patch that FAR uses can't be applied, as all the rotations are different etc etc)  and no drag cubes means you plummet to the ground rather quickly. Did speak to ferram about it but ultimately they wont play. or didn't

45 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The patch was for what?

or how, was it in code or a MM patch?

Regardless, I can't test FAR right now, but will keep it in mind.  It most likely will work without any changes other than that patch, and if you get it to me, I can probably incorporate it

Once thing I need to do is figure out how to have the ejection part increase in weight proportional to the number of kerbals a pod can hold.

I'm sorry, I was wrong. I saw back in the thread and I found that the issue was solved by Far itself with the "Fanno" version.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:23 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Are you going to be able to make me a new ejection part?

On 9/18/2016 at 11:12 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Yes

any idea's as to what it should look like??? not having any original ideas right now..

I think it should be somewhat thin.  My feelings on this are that the seats themselves are hidden, this is more of a hatch cover for access to the mechanism. 

I just had a neat thought.  If you could put a light animation on it, then I can add an Armed/Disarmed mode, light would be on when armed.  Red flashing lights, or maybe red alternating with yellow.  It should be obvious, not a tiny led 

About the ejection part, I agree with linuxgurugamer that it should be thin and aerodynamic. I was thinking something like this hatch planform:

130528-F-KN424-041.JPG

but not hinged. Maybe have it protrude above the fuselage slightly so it's noticeable, with filleted edges that flow into the curved contour with rounded corners like an airplane emergency exit. For the caution texture, how about just the center portion of the picture below. The arrows could have the armed/disarmed lights. I really dig that idea! Also could add thin black/yellow caution stripes around the top outline as a highlight.

51142926-old-yellow-danger-sign--explosi

Another texture idea located somewhere on the top, maybe centered:

8024-1_nostep.jpg

Thanks so much for updating this! Can't wait to see how it turns out.