What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

38 minutes ago, Grenartia said:

Those joints are exactly what I've been looking for for my rover project. Where'd you get them?

If anything, that design's more outlandish than what I've been doing. And yeah, I'm using rapiers. 12 of them on my last design, to be exact. I'm doing all stock, too. The only difference in wings that I can see is that you're not using BigS parts.

My main issue seems to be that I can barely get to mach 1, and barely get to 8.5km.

Good luck on your brain science so you can get back to your rocket surgery.

They're Infernal Robotics Docking Washer :) very useful.. the actual couplings are just a cube and a truss. but the wheels of the first leading bogey on each wagon have the free rotating docking washer (not the powered one) so they steering when pulled in that direction

So the Nastybird Duna Mission had a conundrum. We had roughly 12/13 hundred meters per second of fuel between the fuel remaining in the drop tanks and the onboard supply, and that wasn't enough for a truly comfortable return to Kerbin from Duna orbit. Well, it might have been, but it would have been close. The second choice was to send a rescue vessel and in the mean time get some atmospheric flight data by gliding and landing on Duna. This was also the more awesome plan. So, I did it! Landing speeds were a bit high so I elected to use parachutes. Hit the ground at 20 m/s, bounced, and was able to use reaction wheels and a tiny burst from the main engine to level and steady the craft and came to a rest. Now to get them home!

4 hours ago, Grenartia said:

If anything, that design's more outlandish than what I've been doing. And yeah, I'm using rapiers. 12 of them on my last design, to be exact. I'm doing all stock, too. The only difference in wings that I can see is that you're not using BigS parts.

My main issue seems to be that I can barely get to mach 1, and barely get to 8.5km.

If I might recommend, try swapping some of those RAPIER engines with Whiplashes.  Yes, they do not perform as well in thin atmosphere and at high speed as RAPIER engines do, but they do have a lot more thrust in the midrange.  It sounds like your trouble is getting your spaceplane into the optimal envelope for the RAPIER engines to go all-in, and the Whiplashes might help you get there.  

I send a plane to Eve

120193screenshot378.png

First prograde Aerobraking to intercept Eve orbit at a few RCS DV cost...Descending to 70 Kms in Eve atmosphere.

This plane is going to land on Eve to join my 2 Kerbals waiting in their lander for their tour!!

320656screenshot332.png

Edited by gilflo

I built a Dyna-Soar like spacecraft that actually works (although, the reentry is really vomit inducing...)

Seriously, the reentry had to be done in a certain way that any person who knew how to fly space planes properly would say: Ur doin it wrong.

In short...

To keep the crew capsule from overheating and exploding, I had to make the spacecraft tumble during reentry to keep Jebediah from being a crisp.

However, the craft is actually extremely stable, and can recover from that kind of tumble once it's velocity goes under 1000m/s.

10 hours ago, Grenartia said:

This should probably go to a different forum at this point - without seeing pics it's hard to tell what's wrong, but that does sound like you've too much AoA & the drag is killing your craft.

No pics today, I actually crashed a craft for once though :( pilot lived & recovered, but tsk, terrible.

17 minutes ago, Astrofox said:

To keep the crew capsule from overheating and exploding, I had to make the spacecraft tumble during reentry to keep Jebediah from being a crisp.

However, the craft is actually extremely stable, and can recover from that kind of tumble once it's velocity goes under 1000m/s.

I kind of love this style of re-entry.  I have a bunch of colossal ISRU vertical SSTOs.  Most of the rocket parts are only good for 2000 degrees, which is a big problem on re-entry.  I give it massive reaction wheel power, hold radial out, and spin as hard as I can through the whole re-entry procedure.  Then orient retrograde and land propulsively.  Works great!  It does take a lot of design work to keep your CoM stationary, and keep the CoL very near it

40 minutes ago, Astrofox said:

@fourfa I wish I could record it on video, but I don't know what to use! Also, did I mention that only the capsule seems to be the problem? Seriously, everything else doesn't overheat.

Plenty of software out there. You could give this a try, free ... Open Broadcaster Software

Anyway; A crash at launch is always fun. I'm not talking about the ship, I'm talking about the program. lol It happened the instant I went to jettison my 'gantry extension' ... red arrow.
JwiDtLT.png

Did something I don't usually do and went to the Mün Apollo style. (pic heavy!)

bcn1BUY.png

Soyuz resemblance absolutely not ironic!

Spoiler

Always respect the Korolov's cross :cool:

rFeGOAr.png

Melelyn and Leelinne Kerman, Go for TMI!

wUNAVMm.png

Still stuck at Mission Control, Jeb started rambling on about his kidney stones immediately after this call. Procedural note: Change TMI to something else.

Separation from transfer stage en route to the Mün. Next, to dispose of the hollow double decoupler ring...

JZqjxAP.png

Do not hit the transfer stage with the decoupler ring Melelyn...

YZ617MU.png

bQ5tIov.png

Nice going, Mel. It's all right, that should buff out...

Successful transposition and docking.

qOVeE1I.png

The center lander can is a small docking adapter orbital module for EVA's. Further resemblance to Soyuz completely coincidental!

Nominal braking into Münar orbit. Marvel at the roomy conditions!

gLIjNq4.png

The lander undocks to begin its descent, leaving the CSM unkerballed.

dAkvimD.png

Moments before a successful touchdown in a random small crater!

k3iNSvm.png

And some obligatory "Standing on the flag." Why do they do this....?

wIn4ejM.png

Leelinne then begins setting up the surface experiment package while Mel runs in circles and dribbles.

6cUkiB1.png

Only have of the experiments randomly exploded once placed on the surface. Good work, team.

1kR2fxB.png

Once the science was collected, it was realized that they'd burned too much fuel on the descent. Not enough d/V to return to orbit. Time to lighten the load. Thanks to KIS, Leelinne can simply rip off random superfluous bits and drop them on the ground. As everything Kerbal is made from highly enriched explodium, every single part, well, exploded. Then it got really weird. 

UlbVAtA.png

Only two Kerbals came on this mission. You may notice one Kerbal in the lander one on the ground, and one still on the ladder. This new ladder-clone of Melelyn refused to acknowledge any attempt to communicate. Which was fine since no one cared, but now the ladder and hatch were completely blocked, while clone-Mel just sat there slowly drooling on herself. Note the focused concentration of not-ladder-clone-Mel inside the lander. Nice going again, Mel.  

Restart KSP...

After that, Leelinne was able to get back inside and smack Mel around some. Procedural note: future Kerbonauts must have an IQ of at least two digits.

FSFtMeZ.png

Time to return home. Because Mel apparently ate all the beans from the snack bin and the air filters are struggling to keep up.

bIpJkZQ.png

A few hours and several acts of intramural violence later, the enthusiastic taxed teetering on the edge of sanity brave crew prepare for re-entry.

viNCBVQ.png

Landing only took a few tries when the parachutes stubbornly refused to open. Upon splashdown, it was noted that the capsule does not, apparently, float. Cheer up, Leelinne, we'll get a rescue party out just as soon as the next Game of Thrones episode is over tomorrow.

7AIyoqG.png

After the capsule submerged, haunting screams and meniacal laughter were heard for some time until the batteries ran out....

So with that out of the way, I'm finally feeling more myself again. Time to go wake the Political Officer up...:wink:

Note to self: don't forget to recover Leelinne and Mel...

6 minutes ago, inigma said:

I recorded this:

[GIF]

Ah yes, the typical War Thunder Air Arcade battle

Meanwhile, I broke the game

r40Sj4G.png

Edited by Bev7787

7 hours ago, Kertech said:

@CatastrophicFailure what mods are you using or the lander capsule and engine on the service module,they look great!

SSTU labs. Awesome, awesome stuff. There's a larger, 3-kerb fueled lander can too, and tons of clusterable historically-based engines. I might keep goofing about with this save just to unlock everything, which I had these bits in my 1.0.5 64k hack.

QaNrGZp.png