What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 2/17/2017 at 5:18 PM, Kosmonaut said:

The only good scene in that whole show

I know it gets a lot of hate sometimes, but I enjoyed it.  It felt like a spiritual-successor to Zone of the Enders.  How do you fight an enemy who has technology that bends the laws of physics?  By reminding them that though those laws may bend, they do not break.  

Worked on a 5m lifter for LEO. I based it off the Ariane V although only one configuration had gigantic SRBs on it. I hope for it to take big station parts into LEO to construct a large station similar to the ISS. And maybe a couple of modules for a moon mission but hopefully that'll be in a 10m rocket. Do Kerosene engines with multiple ignitions exist? Because I really need them! Hydrogen is light as all heck.

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Not today but yesterday, I started the day by witnessing the future now, did some Kerbal stuff, added an update to my latest mission report series, then brought it all full circle by buying a truck that predates the Moon landing:

qrfF4yw.jpg

(1968 GMC 3/4 ton)

I feel like a time traveler. :cool:

It looks so kerbal, I mean look at the wing mirrors reinforced with a pair of struts :D

Spiceweasel's transfer window finally arrived, taking a further 2.5 years to get home... This is why I don't do parallel missions folks, I would literally end up with 50 active vessels :P 

SlbL48I.jpg

The Council of Chefs is pleased with the delicious spicy samples. So pleased indeed that the surface samples almost had an accident during the debriefing buffet, but fortunately some wise - and already full - kerbal managed to get them down to the lab for chemical analyses. 

And at last... a spaceplane to do something interesting!

0MqI6uT.jpg

Squeakbat is actually SSTO capable, but its margins on Gael are razor thin and the cost of two extra fuel tanks isn't important, so it arrives in LGO with nearly 1100m/s. Far in excess of requirements, but it won't hurt to have that around later. After a few hours, a rendezvous is made with a previously launched 'HyperRing' transfer stage, and preparations for an interplanetary ejection burn begin.

(It's not quite the Odyssey II, @JadeOfMaar, but it's a start...)

1 hour ago, astroheiko said:

I underestimated Gratian, thought it was just another Duna Planet. In your game of 3.2 times the size is certainly much more extreme..

Ehhh... I kind of shrunk the planets down to 1x. But I kept the solar orbits at 3.2x, so I have high transfer costs, and standard descent/ascent requirements. Basically 3.2x planets weren't giving me the things I enjoy - like crazy looking spaceplanes and motherships. Now the former is viable and the latter is fairly mandatory :) 

Edited by eddiew

@eddiew

Ah, my mistake. I thought it was the other way around. But that would be illogical.

But damn beautiful pictures you have today. The Sky Box is just right for your very aesthetic vehicles.

I'm just about to get my gear back on track and then head towards Otho. This time it should not be such a disaster.

FlGQbIf.jpgfiW8BPn.jpg

Edited by astroheiko

I did a test livestream on Twitch and built this fancypants Mk3 SSTO but only flew it on-stream. It features what previously failed to work: my SuperStock project. The project's one cfg raises some Mk1 parts' mass and heat tolerance and causes the Whiplash to operate better in thinner atmosphere and reignite as a true scramjet right before Rapiers die. Just two things are missing: See if it survives its own weight on landing, and make the Mk1 Divertless Intake all-powerful like the Shock Cone.

v51iHm9.jpg

* 1.875m RAPIERs (there's a good bit of Tweakscale in this craft) and 4 Vectors at 50% thrust limit inside the Whips. I want to move the Vectors as I don't like clipping functional parts.

AaIazKX.jpg

After the mysterious explosion of the 2nd Eve resupply craft a replacement is in LKO waiting a window - since using warp seems to cause the controls to lock up half the time (eggbox, consoles suck for the moment) I wandered to mun on a contract to recover a bit from orbit, launched a small tug backwards, got to mun with its transfer stage attached, undocked, picked up the bit and discovered the transfer stage had drunk all the fuel..

Redocked and used its engines and the fuel it its tanks to return to kerbin, can't re-enter with the tug but the plan was get the bit home them work out what to do with it once I know what it is - game controls then decided that nope, I wasn't saving any progress today so back to the two craft in LKO to try again another day, when the urge to take a hammer to the console has died down a bit

Erm well i have 2 days of updates to do on here... I have lots of images on imgur for you all http://imgur.com/a/WrICn but im really struggling to be motivated to create a post on here explaining all i have done. (long day at work with a cold) HAving been playing for several months on and off i finally go around to testing what MechJeb is capable of. At first i just had the basic Mechjeb in my Career a maneuver planner at the first step. This proved very useful in putting a probe in orbit of the mun and visit Minmus the Hauffman this i think its called. Was great cause it was Delta-V saving to have Mech Jeb do it all and eventually got to do landings :) again it was a very efficient choice to use Mech Jeb. :) as long as i make sure i can revert :) Once i had the science from those missions i built a space station for one of my missions. This had to keep a stable orbit with 5 kebals and power generation and Antenna. (I now have a mission to expand this to 12 kerbals.)

Erm i rescue Mica Kebal from Minmus surface and had to put a probe in a specific orbit of the Mun.. (this was a massive pain in the cheeks. No i mean SERIOUS PAIN IN THE cheeks!) 

Oh yeah i built a basic plan design that didnt work very well really need some help making them. I unlocked a lot the plane part now. Ive got almost all of the 300 science cost research done but need 1.6mill to upgrade my science centre to go any higher. and i tested a basic lander visiting the monolith near the KSC with it. (need to run several tests with mech jeb on this rover :wink: ) 

But yeah i have a long week of work ahead if i can ever be asked i will up load the picture files but otherwise please visit the imgur link above i hope it should take you to my Album for the weekend :)

uGruOfy.jpg

GBbfPLZ.jpg

My really basic Station... i need to work out how to dock with it without the MechJeb Auto dock feature....

Edited by Thrawn889
updated a photo :)

Unleashed the tiny JJ Abrams that lives inside me...

ihRd0eQ.jpg

Then noticed that I'm late for bed. Sigh. 2pm, my brain is begging for a nap. Chasing midnight, it's all hands on deck for the lense flaaaaarrress! Screw you brain :/ 

(Science game started recently)

Yesterday, Sigemy took his turn in the command pod, scheduled for another orbital mission.  Unfortunately, Sigerny turns out be a cowboy; he got the Orbiter Alpha Type 2 in to orbit with about 80% fuel remaining in the service stage, and decided to violate orders; he was sure the vessel had enough dV remaining to make it to Mun.  Ground control was screaming at him as the insertion burn ran down, but it was too late; he was committed to go to Mun.  He made two tiny correction burns along the way, lowering his Mun periapsis and adjusting his Munar inclination.

Just before he went out of comm range of Kerbin, he reported back that he had plenty of fuel for the Munar periapsis burn, but wouldn't have enough to adjust his Kerbin periapsis afterward.  He wouldn't be departing into Kerbol orbit, in other words, but he'd be stuck in a high Kerbin orbit (4489 x 27359 km) until a rescue could be mounted.

Good news is, he comes into comm range for a couple days every periapsis; bad news is, the technology to rescue him doesn't yet exist.  He'll be out there for a good while.

Doing what he could with what was available, Maltrey stepped into the command pod of an untested and newly upgraded vessel, Munar Orbiter -- perhaps a bit optimistically named, but that was the intent of the upgrade -- and set off to bring back as much science as possible, to speed the day when rescue would be technologically possible.  Launching with the now-standard collection of four goo canisters, and three each barometers and thermometers, he reached orbit with much more dV than Sigemy had had, and promptly set up a Munar transfer.  Not drawn in by the optimism of those who'd named his vessel, he didn't attempt to make orbit around Mun, but had plenty of dV to ensure a prompt return to Kerbin.  Due to a misunderstanding, he rode through a high Kerbin periapsis and another orbit to just beyond the Mun's path, where he adjusted his periapsis for reentry.

His service stage had more than 20% fuel remaining when he kicked it loose, just as reentry heating started, suggesting that with careful planning his vessel might, in fact, be capable of entering a Munar orbit and still returning to Kerbin -- but with all the data he brought back, R&D was able to crank out another round of upgrades rending Munar Orbiter obsolete before the charred paint on the command pod was fully cooled.

Working deep into the night, engineers and the VAB crew put together a magnificent creation, with six strut-braced boosters feeding fuel into the core, a second core stage the same size as the booster core, and a third core stage with three fourths the tankage and a high efficiency engine.  Dubbed Munar Explorer, there is no doubt in any mind that this ship can orbit both Mun and Minimus, and there are whispers that it may be able to carry a lander to one or both.

Once R&D invents landing legs, that is.

5 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Do Kerosene engines with multiple ignitions exist? Because I really need them! Hydrogen is light as all heck.

SpaceX Merlin engines run on Kerosene and LOX, and as their booster demonstrated yesterday, they can be ignited at least three times on a single flight.  I get the impression that they can be reignited more times than that; the igniter for an engine like that is basically a spark plug in a blowtorch.

Spent some time working on a SSTO spaceplane for Tellumo in my heavily modded GPP 3.2x career.  Using the power of Karbonite and Kerbal R&D, I've come up with this not-terribly-elegant design:

no4vCeo.png

After lifting off with a full load of fuel, it begins filtering Karbonite out of the atmosphere, then converting it to liquid fuel on the fly to feed the upgraded Rapiers and LV-Ns at the back.  Right now it reaches LGO with 7,000 m/s left in the tank, so I'm cautiously optimistic that it may work on Tellumo (which requires 11 km/s to get to orbit in 3.2x).  I'm a little concerned about upper stage TWR, though.  We'll just have to see if it works.  Here's a shot during reentry, heading back to KSC:

HDXLl3F.png

Updated my plane with the Whiplash engine and a new revision of control surfaces to guarantee stability at Mach 3+

bHQqWMK.png

Test was concluded successfully after hitting Mach 4.5 and not burning up with Deadly Reentry :)

5njzZD8.png

Edited by Hesp

51 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

SpaceX Merlin engines run on Kerosene and LOX, and as their booster demonstrated yesterday, they can be ignited at least three times on a single flight.  I get the impression that they can be reignited more times than that; the igniter for an engine like that is basically a spark plug in a blowtorch.

That is exactly what I need. The Second stage has about 10,000 m/s thanks to a roughly 100 ton wet mass and roughly 4 ton dry mass. That is crazy! Who needs high ISP with propellant mass like that? That is why I prefer Kerosene to Hydrogen.

Fire