What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

6 hours ago, Moh1336 said:

Max speed is around 1,360m/s under 20k and can reach around 26k. Turning under 400m/s is surprisingly good, though any manoeuvring above 600m/s needs to be done carefully or it will start to shed parts. Mostly the wings, and that is apparently a bad thing. :confused:

Something similar happened to one of the SR-71 prototypes.  The pilot reports that one moment he was in the cockpit, the next he was falling through the air still strapped into his chair.  The plane has literally torn itself apart around him during a gentle turn.  (It was designed to take that grade of turn at that speed, but a minor flaw had a cascading effect.)

So I have a contract in-progress to put a station into Minmus orbit.  Currently have it in LKO, putting most of it together there.  Have the core on, installed the power systems (a wide pylon with batteries and Gigantor XL solar panels, ISS-style.)  Last night, I added the communication system.  Four large relay dishes, four Communitron-88s.  I had enough fuel left in my ascent module to navigate to my rendezvous, after turning the thrust on the Twin-Boar way down.  Left it there after detaching the transfer vehicle to dock the communication module to the station.  After attaching the communication module, I undocked the transfer vehicle and navigated it back toward the debris that was the ascent module.  

I did not want to leave the ascent module there, but I had predicted that I would detach it while it was still suborbital, so it had nothing on it that would allow it to return to deorbit on its own.  So I put the probe transfer module right up against the side of it, and went full-throttle.  It took a few tries since it was never perfectly centered, but eventually I got both the transfer and the lifting modules into a sub-orbital trajectory.  At that point, I watched both de-orbit.  Felt pretty good that I could do that kind of maneuver without any docking mechanism, and kept the space lanes clear.  

25 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Nice! I've often debated with myself on the value of capping off the top of my capsules with an aerodynamic nosecone. Do you notice a difference or is it because it looks cleaner...(It DOES look better)

Having been assured by the cartography department that there was in fact a 5th biome on Iota that neither Lyssa nor Jay managed to spot, mission control decided to do something about the gap in the data. Identifying a useful synchronicity with a request for rescue from Iotian orbit, they modified the standard lander and sent it up on remote control.

CwizIhI.jpg

After a successful orbital rendezvous with a chirpy looking engineer, they immediately set her to work collecting rocks. Very, very bright rocks. Slightly salty, sweet, gunpowdery bright rocks that will add an unusual piquance to... nevermind. That's another one for the Council of Chefs to work out.

Of more import is the upcoming Ceti program. With the recent development of orbital research labs, and the realisation that there is a heavy fuel requirement for returning missions wishing to enter stable orbit around Gael, it is decided that getting one out to Ceti ahead of the lander missions would be a fine idea. Thus far, only an artists impression of the prototype has emerged. Mission control has nicknamed it Manatee Station.

DXYk5VJ.jpg

24 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Nice! I've often debated with myself on the value of capping off the top of my capsules with an aerodynamic nosecone. Do you notice a difference or is it because it looks cleaner...(It DOES look better)

Firstly, it looks significantly better. Secondly, when I unlock sepratrons and octagonal struts, the nosecone will also house the launch escape system. Thirdly, check out the whole mission report. This is being done in 4x scale; the delta-v to reach orbit is upwards of 5500m/s. There's far longer spent in the atmosphere where drag is an issue.

Possibly the prettiest plane the U.S. never built: The YF-23 Black Widow II.

ZbWTAGz.png

I fell in love with this fighter, which lost a contest with the F-22 Raptor. Shame, because this one is sweet.

PnNJ8Mj.png

I'll have to do a lot of work on the lines before I upload it, but it's a start.

12 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

*Her. And yes, she did return to the surface safely. Check out the whole mission report if you want details, its linked to in the post.

Nice. As I have said, "It's easy to go UP in KSP, but getting down is a whole 'nother story"

4 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Nice. As I have said, "It's easy to go UP in KSP, but getting down is a whole 'nother story"

You say that, but honestly it's much simpler to return to Kerbin than to get to orbit in the first place. Even in 4x scale, where re-entry speed is at least 4500m/s, the stock heat shield is more than adequate (it's good even for re-entries directly from interplanetary velocity to landing, though I probably won't use that sort of re-entry profile very often). Getting to orbit though, is an entirely different story. It takes upwards of 5500m/s (significantly more if thrust isn't high enough) to reach orbit around 4x scale Kerbin with the atmosphere at 1.4x scale. Check out the mission profile for that rocket for an idea of what I mean about the thrust; the first three stages all started out with thrust to weight ratios of more than 1, but it still only just made it to orbit even with about 600m/s more than is technically necessary. I've had to use a significantly upgraded launch vehicle to be able to send the complete Megido 1 spacecraft to orbit with delta-v to spare.

2 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

Something similar happened to one of the SR-71 prototypes.  The pilot reports that one moment he was in the cockpit, the next he was falling through the air still strapped into his chair.  The plane has literally torn itself apart around him during a gentle turn.  (It was designed to take that grade of turn at that speed, but a minor flaw had a cascading effect.)

That sounds fun. In the DF sense of the word...

Edited by Carl

Made and tested 4 more skyboxes in total. Now I'm touching up in Photoshop because some have very clear artifacts that'll make them look like garbage on high-contrast monitors. There's a second space photo one and 8 for EVE Online now, at least one for each faction. Link is in my signature. :) 

MMeg8ki.jpg

kQDfjpU.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

15 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Made and tested 4 more skyboxes in total. Now I'm touching up in Photoshop because some will look like garbage on high-contrast monitors. There's a second space photo one and 8 for EVE Online now, at least one for each faction. Link is in my signature. :) 

-SNIP-

WOW. Those look great, I might have to check those out.