What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Unfortunately 2 of my Kerbonauts are left around Eve, and i planned a mission to get them back  both.

So here is the main part of the ship, and Eve taxi

Sbjc9EG.jpg

One kerbonaut is on 100km orbit above Eve, and that is too close to Eve, i dont know if i will have enough fuel to go so low with the whole ship, thats why i am taking the Eve taxi with 2600 m/s to pick him up

Second kerbonaut is on orbit of Gilli, should not be a problem to pick him up

More footage here 

https://imgur.com/a/qfYg3

Edited by papuchalk

PA1 Mun Ship

q646QGdrS9mZkLHdqw1fWA.jpg

Mun looks like more closer than Kerbin.

wZK2MVS0QWyW8lejBTZDKA.jpg

Now our home is so far away!

yAFGxUpGRySbzt4UxW1nTA.jpg

And yes we did it! Let me take a picture for this amazing moment.

3LipPuBES2CpjIWGpyUayw.jpg

Yes we have to wait another ship for taking us from Mun to Kerbin again.

NAE(New Astreoids Explorer)

gxFjqqQCQUqyYepe4v-tng.jpg

Everything is working good.

0ihk3_FnQkma8PUZ0Upxwg.jpg

What a lovely view!

screenshot951.png

Began figuring out how I should do B9 Part Switch cfg's for reDIRECT, since im staying on 1.3.1

%MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		switchInFlight = false
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Orange
			title = Foam
			TEXTURE
			{
				transform = Cube.003_Cube.026_jupiter
				texture = reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/5m_Tanks/jupiter_elements
			}
			TEXTURE
			{
				texture = reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/5m_Tanks/jupiter_elements_NRM
				isNormalMap = true
			}
			TEXTURE
			{
				transform = Cube.003_Cube.026_shuttle_tank
				texture = reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/5m_Tanks/shuttleTank_main
			}
			TEXTURE
			{
				texture = reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/5m_Tanks/shuttleTank_normals
				isNormalMap = true
			} 

}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = White
			title = Painted
			TEXTURE
			{
				texture = reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/5m_Tanks/jupiter_elements_alt
			}
			TEXTURE
			{
				texture = reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/5m_Tanks/jupiter_elements_NRM
				isNormalMap = true
			}
			TEXTURE
			{
				texture = reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/5m_Tanks/shuttleTank_main_alt
			}
			TEXTURE
			{
				texture = reDIRECT/Phase1/Parts/5m_Tanks/shuttleTank_normals
				isNormalMap = true
			}
		}
	}

This is for 1 part with only 2 variants

Edited by DeltaDizzy

Val just climbed the first stage of the mountain, when you look at this angle it seems impossible, but we zig-zaged to the top.

4w9TuMP.png

This picture shows the last bit of the climb.

nl22AF8.png

Val did roll over a couple of times but we did manage our damage.

kzv1JzT.png

I hate this mountain...:ph34r: Dakar 2019

gzDR6HN.png

X= current position

TBC ^_^

Edited by Triop

While Val is waiting for sunrise in her bashed buggy ( crashed 2 batteries and some solar panels)...

VwlW59R.png

Jeb is allready back on the job, getting 2 tourists to Minmus.

9aDc1Zm.png

I like the view with Kerbin and the Mun in one shot. ^_^

Been testing a new RCS port bearing to replace the antenna-solar-panel bearing that broke on all my helicopters with the arrival of 1.4.

I'm using my E-50 marine coaxial helicopter as a testbed for this.

o5nedPO.png

It seems to take most of what I throw at it, but it still needs a bit of work because I managed to make this happen once:

QxwYvAd.png

zwv0mM4.png

No Kerbals were harmed! :) 

I think whenever I've got this fine tuned, and I'm applying it to my other helis, I'll try to flush out the problems with the cargo ramp on my E-23 (chinook-like thing), as I noticed it has a tendency to fall off.

Also, I've made progress on that clock escapement thingy.

It needs a bit of work to make it more consistent in the time it takes to go through a cycle. The motion isn't very smooth, so it kind of varies in speed. Obviously not great for timekeeping. Still cool to look at :D .  Really can't get the Hammerwatch- Heroes Never Die by Two Feathers soundtrack out of my head, but I didn't want to copy Bogdan Pirsan's video.   Note: my video is at 500% speed of what the thing was actually moving. Yah... not great, considering I want it to run on something as mundane as a falling weight. I should probably finish my pendulum clock before I continue working on this.

13 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Also, I've made progress on that clock escapement thingy.

Wow, that is awesome, makes me feel like a novice...

giphy.gif

Nice work. :cool:

Edited by Triop

6 hours ago, Delay said:

Airplane construction!

This plane is my first "real" Mk3 aircraft (I have a space shuttle, but that doesn't count). A lot of trimming is required to keep it stable (about 1/2 to 3/4 upwards pitch), but other than that, it flies really well.

You can (and this is surprising, to be honest) start pulling the nose up at ~65m/s! It still takes a while before the gears leave the ground, though.

e93zXd8.png

Very impressed by looking at your pretty small landing gear, good job !

3 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

my video is at 500% speed of what the thing was actually moving. Yah... not great, considering I want it to run on something as mundane as a falling weight.

The escapement is that stiff? Since thats the only part that would reasonably cause friction, unless the bearings also add friction (Which I guess they would.)

What ifyou used something smaller like solar panels or something for the escapement (the swinging thingy of vernors)? Would that help/hinder or no effect? (I'm not sure here, no experience with these.)

Didn't get a whole lot of time to play today, and not a whole lot to report. Jade Station kicked into frantic action trying to supply all that fuel. One of the crafts is now fully refueled, and the others will be soon.

Had a minor encounter with a kraken that necessitated a reload - the fuel lifter descended to the minmus flats at the breakneck speed of two or possibly even three meters per second, which blew one of the legs off in a fiery explosion.

I also discovered something rather obnoxious - the rover docked to Jade Station has a name priority of 3 (I went back to the VAB to check!),  while the station, of course, pre-dates the patch that introduced priority. Somehow this works out to the rover taking over the name/icon for the station. I changed it back, only for the rover to take over again when I undocked the lifter. I changed it back again but at least upon re-docking the lifter the name didn't change a third time. Which makes me wonder - is there a way to set the name/icon priority outside of the VAB (that is, to set it for crafts that already exist)? If there isn't, there really should be. I'd like to be able to adjust the priorities of crafts that already existed at the time the patch hit.

5 hours ago, Ace in Space said:

Which makes me wonder - is there a way to set the name/icon priority outside of the VAB (that is, to set it for crafts that already exist)? If there isn't, there really should be. I'd like to be able to adjust the priorities of crafts that already existed at the time the patch hit.

I would imagine you could probably find a line on priority for each command module or core in the persistent file if you did a search in notepad. I would recommend making backups before attempting edits though.

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

The escapement is that stiff? Since thats the only part that would reasonably cause friction, unless the bearings also add friction (Which I guess they would.)

What ifyou used something smaller like solar panels or something for the escapement (the swinging thingy of vernors)? Would that help/hinder or no effect? (I'm not sure here, no experience with these.)

Yah I'm definitely considering switching to lighter parts such as antennas and/or solar panels for the escapement, as I suspect a movement would be smoother with them, and they would put a lower load on the rest of the bearings, this reducing friction. 

I do think I'll do some tweaking of the Vernor escapement though because it hasn't been optimized at all. I was just lucky enough to build it "ok-ish" and it spun. 

The tourbillon was the hard part. Probably doesn't help the friction part that I went for a "flying tourbillon" setup with only one end of some of the parts having a bearing support.

More (happy) grinding... the boost to R&D provided by the upgraded facilities is energizing the program.  A dedicated 'rescue' variant of the Thoth capsule was tested by Val by rendezvous with a commsat, and then launched empty for two rescue contracts.  Although Morie's capsule landed rather precariously in the mountains west of KSC, it was successfully recovered.

Tested an R-7 tribute to launch the Voskhod-like capsules added in MH... a bit overpowered if I engine it realistically, so I need to tweak.   On the other hand, that means there's margin for heavier payloads, so it's all good.

Today as I attempted to load KSP, I summoned the kraken.

And not just any kraken...

This was the feared Windows Defender kraken.

Contrary to popular belief on kerbin, this kraken does not defend windows of any kind...

This kraken scrambles game files.

Guess what kind of files this kraken decided were of a Trojan horse variety that it had to eliminate at all costs?

.dll and .sfs

My entire KSP folder, The zipped mods folder, the gamedata, the save folder. Completely obliterated. It didn't even ask before torching everything. Unfortunately my backup SSD was also plugged in at the time, so thats also a broken mess.

So now we get to see if steam can convince windows defender to chill out a bit while it re installs.

Supposedly the kraken has been powered off, despite its protests, but we shall see how that goes.

(Ie. Windows Defender doesn't pay any attention to steam folder anymore (in theory)) 

Now that Steam has the home field advantage...

cc77581abdc59f0f5283410e1c992cdc.png

Im bored...

Obviously.

Hopefully your day has gone better than mine.

Happy launchings

:wink:

Edited by Mark Kerbin
Stealth Editing

Worked on my Minmus Station...

When Kapollo 5 arrived at Minmus Station, Valentina found a bit of a mess. The core module arrived with its booster core and upper stage intact, but while the aging Mk 2 Titan Tug (lower left) successfully delivered the modified Hab/Lab module, its docking port was stuck and it couldn't undock. She decided to make the best of it, and make extensive use of the Hab/Lab's 3D print lab.

tv5ORlA.png

Bobus went on EVA and performed an extensive spacewalk, stripping the Titan Tug of parts and recycling everything he could. He even got help from Valentina to pull the Fulcrum engines from the booster core and upper stage, and then recycled them. It finally came down to just four parts that couldn't be handled by the kerbals and stuffed into the converted fuel tanks so that they could be recycled. Sadly, Bobus was just too inexperienced to recycle the parts by hand. Fortunately, he had a plan. After stripping down every non-essential part and pulling some backup parts as well, he managed to create this:

dFhwFK4.png

He called it the Scrapper Pod. Using @Pak's KMU from Cormorant Aeronology mated to a Coach 500 printed from recycled materials, his jurry-rigged scrapper pod could do the work that he couldn't- and a bit more. The pod could store the Equipment or MaterialKits.

Bobus carefully maneuvered the Scrapper Pod towards its targets and one by one, they fell to his mighty robotic recycler arm, vanishing in a puff of smoke:

pccvzPA.png

Extensive use of the OSE Workshop as well as the tools from the Kerbal Attachment System- not to mention a lot of back and forth shuffling of RCS thrusters and fuel pods- turned the jumble of spent rocket stages into valuable storage space:

wKfgtgW.png

Minmus Station was open for business, and KSC added scrapper pods along with OSE Workshops as must-haves for any deep space station or vessel.

Edited by Angel-125

Day 3 on the mountain. We've almost reached our first survey point.

x0aehSp.png

It took Val 8(!) days to get here. The buggy has only half of it's power left due to damage so Val must recharge every +100 meters...

oGOW10u.png

Val wants to leave the buggy and sky dive from the mountain when she is done...

What do you think ?

Should she do it ?