What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

iframes (or any other straight-up html) worked ever in this forum? That's weird.

What you want is the imgur tag.

[noparse]http://imgur.com/a/drYNc[/noparse]

Thank you, I didn't know that was an available command. And yes, I've been using the iframe so far.

-edit-

@Felsmak: That made me laugh so hard, you have no idea. Great achievement there.

Edited by Kowgan

I am having problems with the locks, though (the non-spoke bits that are supposed to fit between the modules). Getting them into position has proven difficult; I don't know what I'm doing wrong but NavyFish's Docking Alignment Indicator does NOT like the craft I'm using to put them in place, the one I did get in place came un-done when I reloaded the station back up (though it still says it's docked - despite there being a visible gap) and my second lock won't dock on one side. I suspect I'm having some alignment issues with the ports and may toss the station's persistence code to the community to verify.

The ships putting the locks in place look......bad. Very bad. How bad? Take a Rockomax Adapter, put a Rockomax Adapter 2 on the bottom of it, stick a TR-18A on that, then a small probe core, then a Z-100 battery, then a small RCS tank, then an FL-T400, then an X200-8 and end it with a Poodle. Then take a look at what you've created and hang your head in shame.

I had the devil of a time with the assembly. It doesn't quite line up at the end of the ring, so I approximated it as best I could and then strutted the segments together. That held. Being I figured the segments wouldn't like docking up, I built it as one big ring. It fills the assembly building. The launcher is a monster but also very well strutted. It bogs down the frame rate even on my computer and I built it (the computer, not that ring) this summer out of just about the newest parts one can get. Landing the thing on Mun wasn't nearly as bad as last night's endeavour which was the Duna landing. Oy veh!

I don't know what I'll do today yet. Will see about it.

If I use this any more it will at most be Laythe where my poor kerbin there will be glad to see some friends come live at his lonely beach, there is plenty of room. The second place might be Eve. However, those spokes do not like being jerked around as parachutes tend to do. I learned that on Duna.

With lack of science being a hindrance in interplanetary travel for my space company, a long term science extraction mission with Minmus in mind was cobbled together. And I do mean cobbled together- who forgets RCS for docking rigs? Oh right, it's Kerbal Space Program.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

-Khorso

With lack of science being a hindrance in interplanetary travel for my space company, a long term science extraction mission with Minmus in mind was cobbled together. And I do mean cobbled together- who forgets RCS for docking rigs? Oh right, it's Kerbal Space Program.

http://imgur.com/a/P9AiO

-Khorso

I got all the way to Jool once with an unmanned rocket that had one goo container and science jr for Jool and another one for each moon, I had enough delta v for a one way trip. After I got there is when I found out I'd forgot to include an antenna :(

I'm still shaking my head at myself. First off, I've put my Minmus Kethane mining operation on a very brief hold so I can load up a vaguely Sojourner-ish rover for a one way Duna trip just because. But I don't like the probe core I have right now so I wanted to research the Okto-2 before sending it. Enter the Data Retrieval Pod.

KSP2014-09-2222-33-38-33.jpg

It was a great idea. Lightweight, plenty of DV (or so I thought). Plan was to skim by the Mun to complete a contract, meet up with the orbital fuel depot at Minmus and hit the surface once or twice for science, stop by the fuel depot again, and head home, while also finishing a second contract. Not so fast.

Problem 1: I didn't pack QUITE enough fuel. I mean, I was off by about 30m/s (the lander has ~2300m/s DV with a full tank). I thought I'd have a bit to spare, but I didn't actually factor in passing by the Mun when I was setting everything up. No problem I thought, I'll just burn off some of this excess monopropellant to finish my burn and meet up with the depot. But...

Problem 2: I somehow, and still haven't figured out how, put it into a retrograde orbit. I could have sworn I lined everything up so that wouldn't happen. So I need about another ~130m/s to turn around and head the proper direction and altitude, not counting any correction burns for the actual rendezvous. No way my monopropellant reserve is going to be enough for that.

After banging my head on the desk a few times (figuratively this time) I thought "Duh, I have a small tanker/lander for the depot anyway." So I tossed a little fuel into that and met up with the DRP. Hey, that's perfect. DeRP. Anyway, my depot is far enough out that orbital speed is ~65m/s so it's no big deal for the relatively small tanker to swing by and drop off some fuel. Just still scratching my head. Anyway all was good on that front so I hit a new biome on the surface and if all goes well on the return trip I should complete both contracts and get a much needed few hundred thousand funds that I can burn on my Duna rover mission. I decided not to do any more exploration on this trip since I don't have all the science equipment I'd like to. This was supposed to be light and cheap, so I'll send a bigger lander later and a lab for the depot to soak up all the data I haven't collected.

KSP2014-09-2221-59-03-73.jpg

KSP2014-09-2222-22-07-00.jpg

If anyone was wondering, here's the placeholder design of the rover I'm sending to Duna. The telescope piece is mostly just for looks but I'll of course use it when approaching Duna. Design subject to change completely or not at all at my discretion. :P

KSP2014-09-2222-45-52-72.jpg

Today I designed a probe/satellite that will be destined for Ike/Duna, it will have one of each on each body. I would have done a rover for that landings but I only have access to the retractable landing wheels, so it would make a silly rover that could not drive anywhere. I may use the same idea for Jool and Eve in future missions to be my funds generators, but I have a different idea for Jool that I may do once I have the full tech tree unlocked. One thing I realized is that I need to remember to put antenna's on crafts so that I can send back science data. One thing that maybe someone could help me with though is how would I make it so the temp, grav, atmo, and barometer scans send back 100% of data but the mat bays and goo cans send back 0? I know it is a config file but not sure how to write them. :blush:

I've been putting off my latest RSS escapade (involving 18 years of life support and some 36km/s of delta-V) and playing a career game (which I actually find a lot of fun). I've been cracking out on spaceplanes recently; here's one doing a burn on a flyby past Eve to get me back into Kerbin SOI.

wlxyDor.jpg

Long story short I got my Duna probe and rover ready finally, and made some pretty good progress.

Here's what the rover ended up looking like. It's kind of a bad shot but the better ones are before I did a few modifications to it. Nothing major, but it's different. Also before I launched it I stuck a headlight on the front.

KSP2014-09-2300-33-07-19.jpg

As for the rest... Here's some more on the mission itself:

A shot of my wobbly rocket standing by. If I had been smart I could have saved money and dropped by my fuel depot at Minmus before leaving, but I decided to just head out.

KSP2014-09-2301-53-50-17.jpg

Looking good so far

KSP2014-09-2302-03-08-29.jpg

I swear I didn't even plan this, I just built and launched. The window was about as good as I could have asked for.

KSP2014-09-2302-26-37-86.jpg

Fast forward through a ~6m burn, a couple minor corrections, and a long ride and here we are right after attempting to aerocapture. I got as low as 13km and ran out of testosterone, so I had to burn coming out of it to finish the capture.

KSP2014-09-2302-47-31-24.jpg

After adjusting the orbit and ditching the transfer stage, here we are running the initial scans of the planet to see if there's anything worth checking out down there.

KSP2014-09-2303-12-41-61.jpg

If my scanning orbit was good enough here (meaning I don't have to use much / any fuel to correct it) I'm gonna head over to Ike and scan that too while I'm here. After dropping the rover of course, that blasted thing is heavy. I got a little paranoid with the descent system and I really don't want to destroy this thing that took me so long to build (but that was my fault for being indecisive). Now I'm a little disappointed because there's no BTDT on the rover... I was gonna say I "forgot" it, but where the heck would I have put it anyway? Oh well.

Tune in next time for wheels on the ground.

Today I successfully completed the Explore Pol contract. I dropped a tiny satellite into orbit for those later contracts that want science in the space around Pol, then my 6-Kerbal base landed to do some science and break out the board games (I think they prefer Kingsburg). I also got a cool-looking arrangement of the Joolian system when I landed.

screenshot16-2.png

Fred thought he'd zip up to the top of one of those spikes, but he clipped right through it. Next up: Bop.

I constructed a new shuttle to assist in crew transfer. Significantly lowers the cost of rotating my station crew and has enough spare fuel to reliably deorbit to the KSC by following a steep descent path (because I'm terrible at judging aerobraking).

Lt6s24x.jpg

umpn0oG.jpg

Didn't have a lot of time to play today. Decided given the problems I'd been having with Mere to adjust the position of the docking ports on the locks to see if that would fix the problem at all. Also, since I use KAS, I decided to add winches to the interior of the locks. I sent Jeb up with some radial port connectors to add to the station; what I figure I might do is get the lock pieces close, get a Kerbal to go EVA, grab the end piece of the winch, hook it into the connector and then use the winch to help guide the locks into place. The station is more massive than the winch, so it should be a case of the lock being pulled to the station (and not the other way around). A long shot at best; really I think I just need to do better next time I want to realign the things.

KAS does let you put RCS blocks on structures...makes me wonder if I could get the spokes to steer better if I added a few in some strategic points. I'd need to know where the center of mass a loaded spoke is, though. Sounds like I need to spend some time in the VAB.

I tried the asteroid redirect mission like NASA would do it. I've sent an unmanned probe to capture the asteroid around Kerbin and then i brought it into a high retrograde Mun orbit. After that I've launched a crewed spaceship, which docked to the capture probe.

lLKvvo5.jpg

Capture burn 1 in high Kerbin parabolic orbit. Periapsis is at 6000km.

hSUgMVO.jpg

Capture burn 2 in low Mun orbit to archieve a circular retrograde Mun orbit at 500km.

jwsRdbK.jpg

Collecting samples with manned spaceship docked to the capture vehicle.

So today, the KRSS Explorer I landed on Pol, Bill was happy to plant a flag on it. After that, the ship made a path to go to Duna (using 3 course correction during the 2 and a half kerbal year of travel).

They said goodbye to the Mighty Jool. Jeb, Bill and Bob aren't coming back there until the next update.

screenshot256.png

screenshot262.png

To make orbit around Duna I did make an aerocapture using the very thin atmosphere of the planet. But I was really too fast and did not made orbit just by passing trough the atmosphere so I had to fire the engine in retrograde. An interesting note to put here, the ship passed trough the atmosphere at just about 4000 m of altitude of the ground (ASL) and at the same time I was listening to the soundtrack of the movie Gravity.

screenshot272.png

screenshot275.png

Got to a circular orbit around Duna and lanched the lander to Ike and put a flag on it. It was really dark, wished I had chose a better landing spot.

screenshot279.png

screenshot283.png

The lander got back to Duna and I landed on one of my favorite spot, inside the beginning of the canyon.

screenshot284.png

screenshot292.png

screenshot295.png

Jeb was crazy happy to step on his favorite planet.

The mission will continue, the next destination will be Eeloo and after that it will be the last destination, Eve. I'm almost done!