What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've tested a cool mod that i found!

if anyone is intrested it's this mod Kronal Vessel Viewer (KVV) - Exploded (Orthographic) ship view

gWgJBye.png

(That's a 1:1 scale of the Saturn V)

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

All I did was make my "pimp my kerbals" @default script work. I now have my wife and her sister in the game as Kerbals. They are currently living on Duna.

Yea, maybe some think its a bit weird. I make sure to name two of my xcom soldiers after them, too.

I couldn't find a way to give them their favorite color space suit. Just their jump suits for inside capsules.

Today i made my first ever orbit and Landing on Duna. really great feeling lol)) 2nd attempt - very exiting mission i had. - almost missed the planet, because my main ship ran out of fuel at the very last moment, but luckly i had enough fuel in lander to make it to Duna orbit and then succesefully land. yea. - however :D guys in main ship are now orbiting around the sun with no fuel, so i guess will have to send rescue mission for them one day :)).

But one green dude made it all the way to the surface, so i`m happy with result)) Landing was also pretty exiting, cause due to low fuel i had to take a risk and land on the dark side of the planet)) did not see the surface below so had to land IFR (almost). very nervous)) but it was worth it. here some pictures.

1) Departure from Kerbin

wROSyLs.png?1

2) Arrival to Duna

mBTNNke.png?1

3) Landed - Sandstorm is rising on Duna. great view

FOwZ5uQ.png?1

VVVLaDH.png?1

Edited by Korkin

I had a busy day today.

First, I landed my first Iguana 1b-class rover on Mun:

LBFH1JG.png

It's a 25-30 ton rover with Kethane mining and refining capabilities, and VTOL engines on the sides so that it can hop crater walls and such. (It actually used them to fly itself to Mun from low Kerbin orbit, using almost all of the onboard fuel.) It's capable of refueling any landed vessels, recovering crashed Kerbonauts, planting flags, etc. as needed.

Then, I launched my first Valdez 2c-class fuel depot:

4q2fYTi.png

~370 tons, so it carries plenty of fuel, and plenty of docking ports. Best of all, it's got high-efficiency engines capable of driving itself to whatever planets/moons it needs to go to; I've tested it, and it's got just enough to land on Pol from Kerbin orbit. Yes, land; it's a fully capable lander (TWR 0.3ish), with Kethane drills and refinery, so once I have these around all the critical places I'll be set. In my old career I had a smaller (200-ton) version of this design at Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Ike, Pol, Vall, and Laythe (refueled from Pol), but in the current career this is my first one.

Also, the booster you see in the background is a recoverable SSTO design (nine linked 5m stacks from KW Rocketry, capable of lifting ~500 tons to orbit), which cuts way down on the cost; the Valdez runs about 670k, the booster 2.58M, but recovers for 2.08M.

Finally, I put the finishing touches on the latest iteration of my best spaceplane, the Sleazy Weasel 7a:

Z3ef4D7.png

cRQdplI.png

Despite massing 29 tons, it handles beautifully thanks to well-balanced CoM-CoL and plenty of control surfaces. I've got smaller spaceplanes for Kerbin orbit work (launching satellites, recovering Kerbonauts, transferring crew to and from a space station), but this one can do far more. The landing legs let it land on its tail on airless moons (which also explains the spinal ladder), it's got a small cargo bay and a docking port on the underside, and the full suite of science equipment up front. For engines, it's got four RAPIERS (ascent in jet mode, and emergency thrust in rocket mode), four hybrid ion radial engines (functionally equivalent to two LV-Ns, used for most orbital work and landing on low-gravity moons), and two ion engines with plenty of Xenon. The ions mean that I can fly this plane to Laythe from Kerbin without refueling (although the burn takes a couple hours even at x4, so go watch a movie), so in theory this design could go to Laythe, land, and come home without stopping for gas anywhere along the way, but thanks to the Valdez depots I'm placing along the way I don't really need to do that.

It's actually a triple-wing design; the "wings" you see include a flat piece with all of the flaps, mounted gear, structural supports, etc., plus two angled wing sections above and below placed to seamlessly line up along the edges. Besides looking cool, this gives the design a LOT of lift without huge wing surfaces, and the RCS jets are inside the wing itself. Likewise, the panels over the center section add more lift and allow me to place canard-like leading surfaces without having bits stick out in inconvenient places.

It's just a really fun design capable of doing pretty much whatever I need. Looking cool is just incidental.

Edited by Spatzimaus

Launched the first of my four Laythe ascent vehicles. My ascent was a bit iffy, and I made a stable orbit but ran out of fuel, so now the orbiter's going to have to pick it up. It's a good thing I didn't use the smaller one I'd considered.

Metaphor05 on twitch said that he's working on a 1/10th scale (of stock) Kerbin for giggles, and I was intrigued. I'm by no means an RSS configuration expert but I managed to whip up a kerbin/mun/minmus system that's approximately correct (sorta).

On the way though, some interesting things happened:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I got mixed up a bit and ended up making a hybrid 1/10th and 1/100th scale Kerbin at various points (it's all straightened out now).

So I've finally constructed a base/rover design over the course of 2 hours to send to Mun for my 3 stranded guys (Bill, Jeb & Bob). Rough liftoff, but it worked. Easy injection to Mun, didnt bother orbiting Mun and landed within 800m of my stranded guys on the dark side. :cool: Minus the excessive crashing every 20 minutes, its done and I'm happy. :)

Seems I cant click the "Reply to thread", I have to use quick replies.

Frank Kerman had an idea, catch the first sunrise on the Mun. It will be first of many.

"Sunrise over Mun 1"

mun1.jpg

Edited by MGCJerry

Finished up my stock .24 career save then downloaded ALL the mods.

Did a few standard first missions, then set up a communication array. Did a few Mun missions and a Minmus mission. Currently planning first Duna Mission and a Kethane station around the Mun.

Lesse then...

I'm preparing for a career mode writing project once everything updates to 0.25. So, after installing a minor shedload of mods, I had to get used to some new things..

In the course of that, I:

C8190B0B6CFDFF5E52FB034F39C95735A4FB846A

Tested an internally stored munar lander with a two kerbal pod. This was a fun design. That's everything that was sat on the launch pad (minus one fairing part.) I actually ended up using the booster stage for lunar transfer, orbital injection and even the first part of the landers descent burn. A surprising amount of over-engineering...

Unfortunately, the capsule ran out of electricity on the way home and everybody died. A shame really.

Then:

036B069CA56DF3BE9D8B804D0042AF4EFAAC4F41

I established a 4 satellite comms network in a single launch. That was interesting.

And that led too:

CD410EB456161C87BB82630B7138D328E1587952

I launched a Single stage to Mun probe rocket. Got itself into orbit then shot off on a rather nice free return trajectory. As you can see it passed within 40 kilometres of the mun's surface, then did a fun wiggle and had a final periapsis at Kerbin of 12 kilometres. Strangely, the avionics package survived kerbin lithobraking and still rests somewhere in the highlands waiting for a visit.

So yeah, had a very entertaining day.

Today i launch the Kerbol Explorer in his Duna trip, and so plan a 1040 m/s burn, which is 8 min long IG, but 2h30 IRL !!!

duna burn begin

BBF33004251807CEBD1D8BFCC6379AFEB6C87605

Ejecting sided tank 1

41E67C374B2B174ABF3F54B9056BF1F607B45DC9

As burn is 2.5 hours IRL, ive time for pics

C950EA769F21374453641BDC2D34F626CE2301EA

A46BD48B928ADB4C511A1D3BCC5E9E3B59072B4A

Ejecting sided tank 2

34F94FF13DAD00E783FEB0E6D6C008E50782CB65

Last sided tank ejection

5977D22440A648221FD11D4BE52D1A6D020D7909

640 m/s wiz sided tanks

C90BB79568B8249E30498E1821D3591531255349

So long burn, try of desktopable pics

84B802D0C2C7BC2707B538576BF4247C5FF9B73B

07D7C202AE7F99CD3D7E6805EBD511CDE9BC6093

I send lot of electricity wiz microwaves, but i cant use it for ionnic engines :(, wiz ion engines, i pass from 8min to 5 min IG, and that a savetime IRL !!

As i use old KSPI, i have to search that electric trouble solution; and i have to reload a old save and redo that burn, as i realize that duna encounter correction burn is too expensive, as i failed the "optimal" acceleration windows (bouhouh)

But, im very happy to finally make this Duna trip, i fear all the week that 0.25 come before i can try :D

Today, the Rosa 1 spacecraft took Jeb to the Mun and back in 4 days. (Beat that Jules Verne!!!)

Jeb jetpacked around a bit, planted a flag, and broke a few of his solar panels, and then played board games for the rest of the day. The next morning he left for Kerbin, leaving no trace except for a flag, some footprints, pieces of solar panels, and four jettisoned fuel tanks with landing legs on them. His central fuel tank took him back to Kerbin with plenty of fuel to spare, and he opened his parachute just over the large crater. He landed just offshore of the outer edge of the crater, and a rescue team came shortly to pick him up. He carried on the trip back several large samples of moon rocks which are now in display in the Astronaut Complex and will be in the Administration Building.

The plaque on the flag reads today reads, "Here, Jebediah Kerman became the first Kerbal to step on a celestial body outside of Kerbin. Jeb's first words on the Mun were, "I win, Bill! SUCK IT!!!"

Docked another module to my "Experimental Pol/Uranus Station" being built in very high Kerbin orbit (between Mun/Minmus' Orbits). So far so good.

Building it slow but in 2-3 weeks should be done and ready for a picture.

Then will need to build another one in between Pol and Bop near Jool.

By then, hopefully we'll have a Uranus Analogue to explore in KSP (wishful thinking, but that's what I'm training for)

Also, I Brought up the debug menu to determine why my balka solar wings where blowing up EACH TIME I return to Kerban into a 100k orbit. Absolutely no mention of any problem whatsoever... and the panels blew-up... again. :(

I really do not know what the deal is with these, but so far my station was spared the same fate (admittingly doesn't orbit close at all). Annoying tho, so much for my re-usable Ion ship.

I got phase 1 of my manned Duna project up and going... The transfer ship made it and dropped off the Kethane scanner in a nice orbit, but ran out of fuel while adjusting the final orbit (stuck at ~300x500km) so I just sent the lander and rover down to start surveying. For some stupid reason I purposely landed about 15km away from where I originally intended to, thinking the terrain was better. It wasn't. I also just realized that Kerbals only apparently carry one flag at a time. Halfrid was driving around looking for nice places to put a base (and subsequently drive the lander to since there's not much spare fuel until the rest of the Kethane supplies get here) and yup, can't plant a second flag. So I pulled one of the radial attachment plugs off the rover (for KAS) and dropped it on the ground instead. Newdon will figure it out.

All in all I can't complain so far as I haven't run out of fuel on anything that matters, or broken anything (knock on wood). The rover is *slightly* unstable while docked with a load such as the lander, because I extended the wheelbase a little to prevent flipping with brakes but left the docking port closer to the front. So when it's actually carrying something it leans forward, probably defeating the purpose. Oh well. Next order of business is make a final decision on where to build this base before my Kethane supplies get here in 51 days and I'm occupied with that. So basically I need to drive to where I think I want to put it (about 10km away as of now) and then drive to the anomaly nearby (about another 10km away from the potential base site, I wanted to be within a reasonable driving distance) and then drive out to the nearest Kethane site to see if it's a ridiculous amount of trouble to go back and forth, or if I need to move the base. At the very least the base will be out of physics range of the Kethane site in case I step up operations out there and start causing lag. Base will include habitation, solar, fuel storage, a lab, and hopefully a small long range biome hopper with science equipment. At the moment I just have a small Kethane rig on the way to pull behind the rover and use to refill the lander or anything else small that I might send out this way.

KSP2014-09-2820-23-46-36.jpg~original

KSP2014-09-2820-59-17-78.jpg~original

Edited by Duke23

FINALLY got my my lazy ass and put together the Venus mission video. It ended up being 17 minutes long (I've gone insane). Felt the music got a bit obnoxious sometimes but it was really hard to find something that would fit. I think this might be it for my KSP videos. I worked myself into a corner by making this missions bigger and bigger, and I'm not sure I can up this one. I dunno... Manned mission to Mercury maybe?

Edited by maccollo

FINALLY got my my lazy ass and put together the Venus mission video. It ended up being 17 minutes long (I've gone insane). Felt the music got a bit obnoxious sometimes but it was really hard to find something that would fit. I think this might be it for my KSP videos. I worked myself into a corner by making this missions bigger and bigger, and I'm not sure I can up this one. I dunno... Manned mission to Mercury maybe?

http://youtu.be/2Q4gkgw1Gxc

Jesus christ. You've left me without words. The sheer scale of those things is... :confused:

You do not disappoint!! :]

Agreed with Overfloater, this was delicious. This is one of these videos I wish I could rate up more than once. How did you get Venus tho... is that the real system mod or something ? At any rate, this was excellent (music is not obnoxious, and very fitting), lots of attention to details (screen shaking, pressure sounds... wow).

Color me extremely impressed.

Agreed with Overfloater, this was delicious. This is one of these videos I wish I could rate up more than once. How did you get Venus tho... is that the real system mod or something ? At any rate, this was excellent (music is not obnoxious, and very fitting), lots of attention to details (screen shaking, pressure sounds... wow).

Color me extremely impressed.

I'm using RSS+the RSS visual enhancement mod to get the yellow fussy Venus with clouds.

Oh and in case you're wondering, your comments weren't deleted. I had to re-upload the video to fix a somewhat embarrassing mistake.

There was an explosion sound in the middle of nowhere XD

Until today, I could never say I landed on Tylo... more like, lithobraked at high speed. I had given up on Tylo until I got the .24.2 "Explore Tylo" contract, but I still kept plowing into the ground. Finally I built a lander that had the fuel to make it, if my transfer stage had enough fuel left to start the descent. In true Kerbal fashion, during the descent that had the best chance, I forgot to hit F5 before screwing up my suicide burn (again). The next ship I sent had a much worse Jool encounter, so I had less fuel to work with. I did remember to hit F5 this time, though.

After a few total failures and a few F9s, I finally was so close... but I still ran out of fuel high enough to blow the lander to pieces. However, the important piece survived. How's this for Kerbal tech?

screenshot17.png

I hit F9 again, and blew the ship up again, but this time the lander-can landed right-side up. Notice I lost my antenna, so no transmitting science from Tylo yet.

screenshot18-1.png

This time I left them there, and I'll send another ship, and hopefully get a better Jool encounter next time.

http://youtu.be/1V_2TmTGjYE

That was an insane project, an Jupiter mission should be next. More interesting than Mercury.

What is the purpose of the 9 long SRB on the lander, is they just for stability?

The top heat shield is to give aerodynamic stability during decent, it will also shield the living quarter and upper stage during the aerobrakes as an bonus.