What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Spent the evening building a booster that would do 250 tonnes - flew that one to orbit a couple of times - then turned around and did one that would do 20 tonnes. I really need to start finding more than an hour at a time to play...

First test of the human-size Vulcan bomber. All mod cons. Uprated Olympus engines, check; autostab, check; Flaps, check; airbrakes, check; nav. lights, check. All action groups correctly assigned, check. "Where's the ladder?", says Jeb.

Oh Heck!

6iQSm6q.jpg

Still, when he did get on board, it seemed to fly OK!

ozLsbI2.jpg

You have been watching: ATM, B9, BoatParts, boulderCo, FAR, Firespitter, Hyperedit, IR, KJR, KSF, ProceduralParts & Tweakscale

Edited by percyPrune
credits added!

First test of the human-size Vulcan bomber. All mod cons. Uprated Olympus engines, check; autostab, check; Flaps, check; airbrakes, check; nav. lights, check. All action groups correctly assigned, check. "Where's the ladder?", says Jeb.

Oh Heck!

http://i.imgur.com/6iQSm6q.jpg

Still, when he did get on board, it seemed to fly OK!

http://i.imgur.com/ozLsbI2.jpg

You have been watching: ATM, B9, BoatParts, boulderCo, FAR, Firespitter, Hyperedit, IR, KJR, KSF, ProceduralParts & Tweakscale

Sod the mods! Can I see more of that stock looking truck?

Sod the mods...

I take it you weren't referring to our esteemed moderators! If not, then anything to oblige. I haven't got a pic of the refuelling bowser but here is the same chassis/cab as a 6x4 tractor:

okfgJ6r.jpg

and shortened as a 4 ton utility:

XgGyw3i.jpg

The white panels are made by making copies of the stock 1m x 1m & 2m x2m panels and deleting the "model000.png" file from the folders. KSP then defaults to white skin.

I take it you weren't referring to our esteemed moderators! If not, then anything to oblige. I haven't got a pic of the refuelling bowser but here is the same chassis/cab as a 6x4 tractor:

http://i.imgur.com/okfgJ6r.jpg

and shortened as a 4 ton utility:

http://i.imgur.com/XgGyw3i.jpg

The white panels are made by making copies of the stock 1m x 1m & 2m x2m panels and deleting the "model000.png" file from the folders. KSP then defaults to white skin.

Yeah those are great looking! Have you tried without the file editing though?

Have you tried without the file editing though?

Yes, but they look terribly grey and boring.

I'm still on 024.2 (too much built to change over yet as I cant import built stuff into 025) but, if you are interested, I could do a stock 025 version, as long as you have Tweakscale.

Just seen your SC1 and RR flying bedstead. Mightily impressed!

PS - I Found a pic of the bowser - Bowser refilling tank from trailer (via Klaw) and refuelling tractor (via docking ports). Both trucks have "diesel gensets" (modded jet engine parts with new sounds & larger alternators) which keep them going in the dark, as long as you remember to keep refuelling them!

xtHRJvz.jpg

Yes, but they look terribly grey and boring.

I'm still on 024.2 (too much built to change over yet as I cant import built stuff into 025) but, if you are interested, I could do a stock 025 version, as long as you have Tweakscale.

Just seen your SC1 and RR flying bedstead. Mightily impressed!

PS - I Found a pic of the bowser - Bowser refilling tank from trailer (via Klaw) and refuelling tractor (via docking ports). Both trucks have "diesel gensets" (modded jet engine parts with new sounds & larger alternators) which keep them going in the dark, as long as you remember to keep refuelling them!

http://i.imgur.com/xtHRJvz.jpg

Thanks man!

I know what you mean about the 'greyness'. I am a stock purist so I think they would be pretty even in their grey clothes.

MJ

looks interesting. Have you considered adding built in decouplers like the KW version? Does it work with FAR?

looks interesting. Have you considered adding built in decouplers like the KW version? Does it work with FAR?

I thought about the decouplers, but the problem with them is that the staging gets confusing, plus you might have cases where you want to use docking ports instead (on the payload side). On the top node, you'll want to use a decoupler/separator anyway in most cases, to avoid having an engine shroud stuck to the bay, but floating out in front of the doors. So I just don't see much benefit in adding the decoupler nodes to the part directly.

made a copy of the x-37 and nicknamed it the k-508 it has worked really well so far! I've already delivered some supplies with it and it lands nicely and is pretty easy to glide, the only major issue is that manual fuel pumping is needed because when you start to drain on the second tank the com moves so far back the thing just barrel roles itself to death

(i will get pictures later once i figure out how)

Finally, I managed to fix the external command seat. It wasn't giving control of the rover for me. You can check the fix here if you have the same problem.

Also, I polished a little what is by far my best atmospheric-only plane ever. Intended for military purposes in FAR, it endures high accelerations (G>15), high dynamic pressures (Q>130000), has high maneuverability (around 22º/second in FAR at mach 0.5), achieves high speeds (Mach>3, probably more without DRE), is VTOL too. Its only problem is that it has very few BahamutoD armory missiles (3 Hellfire and 2 Sidewinders), but has some punch with guns (a hidden Vulcan and two .50cal turrets). I may end up posting it, dunno.

Edited by Uzric

I'm on a roll. Not only did I manage to get a Shuttle replica to orbit on the very first test flight (a replica from the Phase A original concepts, in particular Lockheed's proposal), I actually did that with my staging set up in completely the wrong way, turning a crossfeeding balanced stack into a... well, a honest-to-John TSTO shuttle that still was controllable. I LOVE Vernors.

kVPR945.png

DxoBlo8.png

lAsviY8.png

qfJ0uoV.png

as9FbU7.png

zr3kJik.png

dIUAV3i.png

Other stuff I can't believe I got right without really trying, and with a design that, again, wasn't really meant to fly this way:

a) One of the engines on the boosters automatically shuts off to keep it within the Vernor's control capability. I had short of planned that, but in the context of both the booster and the orbiter's engines burning together. I think it works better this way.

B) By the end of the first stage burn, it starts tilting by itself cutting off at about 45º heading, at about 12kms and with 30-40s to apoapsis. It appears I max out the Vernors just at first stage burnout.

c) The separation works without SRBs to help, you just slightly pitch away and the orbiter clears the booster cleanly. I think slight clipping on the underside gives it a jolt or something.

d) The booster is an excellent glider, turns out, perfectly balanced while empty and capable of gliding back to the runway even tough by the time you drop into sensible air and can turn around, you are past the island base. You short of have to change the control point to a hidden probe but... that means I was able to get it into control without really knowing which way was up in the test flight. Also, notice I didn't know the CoM and CoL when empty and without the orbiter on its back when I tried this.

Rune. The amount of luck in this design is unsettling.

what's going on here? -its Jeb slows down the ship.

why does he do it? -because something went wrong in the KSC and he lacked fuel for deorbit. but Jeb is tough guy \þ

(first orbital flight, 124 - 75 km orbit with no fuel left. Jeb was able to slow down to 55km, and safely aerobrake after two orbits))

GQV12gT.jpg?1

I finally completed my Munar Explorer ( yeah I know, boring name) and thanks to the new release of ATM launched it!

It got some science for orbit, station science experiments, lie support for 600 days, a lander to visit every biome on the mun, a karbonite refinery and a little remote controlled miner rocket to refuel it.

And it needs that, only got about 5km dV. Which might have something to do with the wet mass of about 800t (after ejecting the heavy lifting stuff).

Needed to upscale both the liquid boosters and the SRBs to 3.75m to get it into orbit.

Unfortunately only one of the dozen screenshots I took got saved for some reason, but here it is launching:

X4BHSBN.png

This is a rover:

LBFH1JG.png

This is a rover on drugs:

1DYhxij.png

Any questions?

But seriously, I finally saved up enough cash in career mode to launch Mun Unit Zappa (Mark II). It's a 600-ton mobile Kethane refinery/moon base, for those planets/moons where my usual up-and-down depots (land, drill, refine, then return to orbit to act as a station) don't function well due to gravity or atmosphere. Instead of refueling in orbit, a lander can simply get refueled on the ground and get back to orbit under its own power more easily. Actually, both of my rover designs fill that niche, with the smaller (30-ton) Iguana rovers being much more mobile, but I wanted something that could plausibly be a livable base. In the long term I'll have ones on Laythe, Duna, and Eve, but the first one's going to Mun for two reasons: as a test case, and because Mun is in the name.

In that shot, the Zappa's booster is my 9-stack SSTO recoverable rocket design (capacity ~500 tons), and the landing skyhook is still on top. The hook is connected by a docking port, not a separator, so it'll draw on the rover's massive fuel tanks for the trip (for a total of ~8000m/s of dV). The Duna/Eve/Laythe version has more parachutes, but otherwise the design is now pretty much locked down. The best part is that it only has ~250 parts, so lag isn't an issue.

To better illustrate the sizes involved, here are the two rovers during a docking test just off the KSC runway:

ebRx6Aj.png

The heights are just right that an Iguana driving under the Zappa's front will automatically dock with the clampotrons placed on the cockpit's underside. Granted, given that the two are each miners in their own rights there's not much reason to dock at all, but it's something I wanted to do.

I'd show you what it looks like on Mun, but it's a 3-hour burn just to get the thing to enter Mun's SOI, and there's no way I can risk physics acceleration on something this big. It should be there tonight, giving a new home to its 3-man crew: Doodbur Kerman (driver), Luzor Kerman (scientist) and Billy-Bobdrin Kerman (engineer). Yes, I picked this crew almost entirely for their funny names. Once they're at Mun, they can link up with the Iguana already on-site, driven by Lenemy Kerman (who spent yesterday finding the Memorial anomaly) to form my official Mun base.

Edited by Spatzimaus

I'm on a roll. Not only did I manage to get a Shuttle replica to orbit on the very first test flight (a replica from the Phase A original concepts, in particular Lockheed's proposal), I actually did that with my staging set up in completely the wrong way, turning a crossfeeding balanced stack into a... well, a honest-to-John TSTO shuttle that still was controllable. I LOVE Vernors.

Other stuff I can't believe I got right without really trying, and with a design that, again, wasn't really meant to fly this way:

a) One of the engines on the boosters automatically shuts off to keep it within the Vernor's control capability. I had short of planned that, but in the context of both the booster and the orbiter's engines burning together. I think it works better this way.

B) By the end of the first stage burn, it starts tilting by itself cutting off at about 45º heading, at about 12kms and with 30-40s to apoapsis. It appears I max out the Vernors just at first stage burnout.

c) The separation works without SRBs to help, you just slightly pitch away and the orbiter clears the booster cleanly. I think slight clipping on the underside gives it a jolt or something.

d) The booster is an excellent glider, turns out, perfectly balanced while empty and capable of gliding back to the runway even tough by the time you drop into sensible air and can turn around, you are past the island base. You short of have to change the control point to a hidden probe but... that means I was able to get it into control without really knowing which way was up in the test flight. Also, notice I didn't know the CoM and CoL when empty and without the orbiter on its back when I tried this.

Rune. The amount of luck in this design is unsettling.

Haha, that is luck. It took me a full WEEK to get my shuttle flying...