What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today, i successfully established my Laythe colony. After some hard work, bringing the pieces to the right spot and some seriously hard docking maneuvers on the surface of Laythe, the colony was finally assembled. Besides 2 broken solar panels, everything went to plan. Note to self... if another jetboat is being sent to Laythe... dont forget ladders and probe core... hnngnn... I have tons of screenshots, i just need a day or two, then you will see the results :)

I just made my first Eve landing (just got the game this last week). But unfortunately I misjudged the aerobraking in the thick atmosphere and landed in the water. The trajectory lines for my descent in the map view did not account for the atmosphere and so I came up way short of where I thought I would be (because I slowed down much more than expected - chalk that up as a learning experience). I had a nice soft splash down with parachutes, but my Kerbal had to swim about 360m to get to the beach to plant the flag and complete the mission. Kerler Kerman had signed up for the one-way trip because he needed some "alone time", but he hadn't expected such a long and exhausting swim.

what's going on here? -its Jeb slows down the ship.

why does he do it? -because something went wrong in the KSC and he lacked fuel for deorbit. but Jeb is tough guy \þ

(first orbital flight, 124 - 75 km orbit with no fuel left. Jeb was able to slow down to 55km, and safely aerobrake after two orbits))

http://i.imgur.com/GQV12gT.jpg?1

Ah, the good ol' get-out-and-push.

Completed the assembly of my Tylo ship and attempted to depart.

Kaboom.

Drop tanks bend backwards clipping into the ship. Eventually something's gonna break, and when it does there's suddenly two ships clipped into each other. Some of the destruction was pretty epic.

But now I fear this may be the first mission I abandon because of poor game performance. It's "only" 600 parts, but I'm getting about a .15-.2x physics time ratio and slideshow fps, I suspect the docking ports. If I was just flying I could deal with it, but I now have no choice but to KAS strut the ship. With this bad game performance, that's going to be torturous.

Today in 6.4x, the S6 crew blasted off...

OQgIj2V.png

...to deliver a small docking adapter...

9n0lUh6.png

...and relieve the two remaining S5 crew members, who will be returning to Kerbin after six months in space.

HSChh5y.png

Meanwhile, after some cosmetic upgrades...

t9p7WL4.png

the launch vehicle for the eventual S7 crew undergoes some engine tests...

0TURNyY.png

And back at Mission Control, the engineers ran some high-altitude abort simulations:

m0qoJju.png

Below 5000m the launch escape system is completely automated; from abort separation & LAS ignition, to shroud separation & chute deployment, to landing. All the crew needs to do is scream. Above that, the shroud separation subroutine is disabled. The pod, shroud, & tower are very aerodynamically stable and have some limited control. At medium altitude, the combination coasts to apogee before shroud separation & standard decent & landing. At high altitude tho...

fFtyY9f.png

There's a very limited window between upper stage ignition & LAS/shroud jettison, after that the crew would just separate in the MUL and use its engine to abort.

N1NwMwD.png

In thin or no atmosphere, the LAS/pod combination is not at all stable and tumbles quite a bit before control is regained.

N1NwMwD.png

The shroud & tower are immediately jettisoned after control is regained and the pod is pointed retrograde.

KU2fh44.png

It's a rough ride down. Well below orbital speed, the descent is very steep, but the lifting reentry thanks to FAR manages to shave a good 2.5 G's off the 12 or so that Trajectories was predicting. Things got very hot too, the heat shield temp peaked at over 1500 degrees.

IbNTfc5.png

But after all that the decent was completely routine. My Kerbonauts can rest better knowing the trusty MUL/Colossus now has verified launch abort capability all the way from pad to orbit (eat your heart out space planes :sticktongue:)

MiCekI8.png

Landed three rovers in the Joolean system today: one on Pol, one on Bop, and one on Vall. The first two used monopropellant engines (can't remember their names) but the Vall lander used a skycrane to touch down and get close to the waypoint. The expedition has earned me more than two million dollars so far. :)

Today I rescued Jeb, or at least brought him enough supplies to wait till he can lift of again. Due to a design flaw in the karbonite miner riding with my Munar Explorer, namely the lack of more then short range com equipment, Jeb had to dock his lander to the miner and they landed together. Worked, but neither part had enough fuel left to get into orbit again. So now he was sitting there in his small lander with 2 days worth of life support, on top of a miner that could evnentually take of again, but would take at least a week to collect enough carbonite.

Hence I rescue was needed. So I send some poor rookie on top of large life support tanks and a 2.5m fission reactor there to connect the ships and wait it out. It was a valuable lesson in precision landing ( first try got me to 120m, 7 tries on a small hop later I was close enough to link them), and the first time I used a thermal rocket. Now they are sitting there waiting. they got roughly 3 years worth of snacks, so they should be fine ;)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Theoderich

I made "adaptive adapters" for SpaceY. This pack is getting full of flexibility. :)

One part handles (based on which attachment node you use) 5m->3.75m, 5m->2.5m, and 5m->1.25m. The other does 3.75m->2.5m and 3.75m->1.25m.

Screenshots of the 5m adapter (all from the same part, and the heights were chosen to maintain the same slope):

KSP%202014-12-09%2019-01-25-43.jpg

KSP%202014-12-09%2019-01-34-86.jpg

KSP%202014-12-09%2019-01-41-37.jpg

KSP%202014-12-09%2019-01-45-55.jpg

Tried to play catch-up on the Kadvent Kalendar Challenge - I'd missed all of the December 6-10 challenges, which involved Munar ops of various kinds. Redesiged the boosters from my Scorpio Block-II capsule and Katapuon lander from the Konstellation Program challenge to make them more reliable and started filling out the missing challenges. Got December 6 and 7 done - ran out of time to do 8-10. Still involved five separate launches, two re-entries (one of which was with a craft that was not designed to re-enter Kerbin's atmosphere though it could handle Duna alright), one hairy Minmus intercept and a docking maneuver over Kerbin (something I hadn't done in a while; I was out of practice but still got the job done).

I have begun a ring station. The new MK-II crew cabin parts, set at 5 degree angles using cubic octagonal struts. It leaves a tiny annoying gap on the back end of the bend, but small enough to ignore. (My mind is small enough that I can ignore it?). There will be 8 launches to complete the ring, I have done the first two so far, no idea how I will finesse the last piece in there. Each of the engines will detach and crash back to Kerbin, leaving the completed ring.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-10%20at%208.02.00%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-10%20at%208.35.05%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-10%20at%208.35.10%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-10%20at%208.38.00%20AM.png

I have begun a ring station. -snip-

Best of luck to you with this. It was hard enough to a little eight segment job...

fopAtT1.png

I get the distinct impression that yours, as a proper ring, will be way cooler than mine when it's finished; looking forward to seeing the finished product. Only advice I can offer is to be really precise when it comes to the roll angle of your docking maneuvers - it'd suck to try to add that last segment and not be able to because the final ends aren't aligned well enough with one another.

If you're not using Docking Port Alignment Indicator, I'd highly recommend it, especially for this kind of work.

I started the game like I do all the time, but suddenly everything started to rhyme. And then this happened.

Three little Kerbals were stranded in space.

Their ship had been stuck there for sixty three days.

It was Bill, and then Bob. And Jeb was there too.

Just three restless Kerbals with nothing to do.

"Why are you scared, Bob? There's nothing to fear!"

But Jeb couldn't see that the Space Man was near.

The Great Naked Space Man with skin made of gold.

And glorious muscles for all to behold.

"That's just the Sun, Bob!" Was all Jeb replied.

But then even he saw the hunk by their side.

Bill just dismissed it as random debris.

But then they could hear it. It said: "Come to me!"

Its body was flawless and caused him to cry.

He needed its love, but he didn't know why.

They opened the hatch and flew off into space.

And Bill was the first one who finished the race.

Now things got serious. It asked for a kiss!

But all Bill could hear was a loud, scary hiss.

His helmet was open! The Space Man had lied!

The precious air left while the poor Kerbal died.

It opened its mouth like a scary black hole.

And then it just casually swallowed his soul.

The others just screamed. And they screamed many times.

You know you are doomed when your life story rhymes.

Only advice I can offer is to be really precise when it comes to the roll angle of your docking maneuvers - it'd suck to try to add that last segment and not be able to because the final ends aren't aligned well enough with one another.

Great stations both! I usually make them up as I go along and unlock parts, making my stations both ugly and unstable.

About the Alignment: If you use Infernal Robotics you could use docking ring washers for post docking adjustment.

My Moho sample return mission is progressing!

yKHZOI7.png

3Z4oJxS.png

I'll use an old trusty M-SA with a stretched upper stage for its launcher. The current plan is for the upper stage to make the transfer burn to Moho, where the donut-shaped braking stage will deposit the craft into orbit. However, the mission will have to wait for a good launch window. Once there, the return module will stay in orbit and the ascent stage will have to rendezvous with it later, so it is powered by monopropellant to avoid lugging two separate tanks around :)

Mission summary: Planing the landers, testing the jetboat, designing the colony core and launching the lander-sections and the robotic survey mission.

And here are the promised pictures of the Laythe colony from arrival to the finished colony. When i find the time (will happen shortly), i will make a separate thread with detailed mission informations and more screenshots.

Top to bottom: Departing Kerbin - Tanks away - Planing and executing aerobraking around Laythe - Descend by parachute - Powered descend for the last meters - Touchdown! The first six colonists arrived on Laythe.

V6RMcaM.png

Top to bottom: Colony core section arrives - Horizontal docking close to the ground is a real PAIN... but it works - The fully assembled colony with view on the vehicle bay and the jetboat in the distance - Another view on the colony.

TL8al27.png

Edited by Frank_G

Mission summary: Planing the landers, testing the jetboat, designing the colony core and launching the lander-sections and the robotic survey mission.

And here are the promised pictures of the Laythe colony from arrival to the finished colony. When i find the time (will happen shortly), i will make a separate thread with detailed mission informations and more screenshots.

Top to bottom: Departing Kerbin - Tanks away - Planing and executing aerobraking around Laythe - Descend by parachute - Powered descend for the last meters - Touchdown! The first six colonists arrived on Laythe.

http://i.imgur.com/V6RMcaM.png

Top to bottom: Colony core section arrives - Horizontal docking close to the ground is a real PAIN... but it works - The fully assembled colony with view on the vehicle bay and the jetboat in the distance - Another view on the colony.

http://i.imgur.com/TL8al27.png

Is that just stock+P-fairings?

Kracken ate a bit of wing off when landing But it was still able to land without troubles. Might be ale to do with less wings:

9DA1DA69EAE68B66CD411FADD76729F722F2B6C1

Other then finding out my Mobile Science Lab Rover does not work on Minmus, no surprise there, been refueling my roid catchers that are in a clock wise orbits around Kerbin.

I made a boom crane to help with the construction of my Mun Base.

The crane is 136 parts, weighs 10.4 tons has 2 jr docking ports and 1 normal docking port on the bottom for transport. There 2 driver seats near the front. Why 2? To keep it symmetrical. (for the eagle eyes the first pic of the boom crane is from it's previous prototype as you can tell from the leg stands and wheel guard)o7p0sp.png

10i74ao.png

The Mun Base which I call H.O.M.E. Base consist of 230 parts weighs 45.5 tons has a return capsule sitting on top, a science lab with a docking port on top for getting off the mun, 3 hitchhikers with an unfolding ramp and on top of each hitchhiker are 3 comns/electric towers (that comes off with the help of the boom crane), which has KAS winches erm i mean extension cords to the science lab for power, and the towers lights are on a small hinge to change the angel of the light.2w731hx.png

So far the home base is on it's way to the mun while the crane is under construction for transport, and the base is still not finished once this is complete i sill start my next base on Duna (which i am already developing on sleek boom crane that fits in a cargo bay fuselage to protect it from Duna entering heating not that it actully matters but fun to imagine)2088x7t.png

I started the game like I do all the time, but suddenly everything started to rhyme. And then this happened.

Three little Kerbals were stranded in space.

Their ship had been stuck there for sixty three days.

It was Bill, and then Bob. And Jeb was there too.

Just three restless Kerbals with nothing to do.

"Why are you scared, Bob? There's nothing to fear!"

But Jeb couldn't see that the Space Man was near.

The Great Naked Space Man with skin made of gold.

And glorious muscles for all to behold.

"That's just the Sun, Bob!" Was all Jeb replied.

But then even he saw the hunk by their side.

Bill just dismissed it as random debris.

But then they could hear it. It said: "Come to me!"

Its body was flawless and caused him to cry.

He needed its love, but he didn't know why.

They opened the hatch and flew off into space.

And Bill was the first one who finished the race.

Now things got serious. It asked for a kiss!

But all Bill could hear was a loud, scary hiss.

His helmet was open! The Space Man had lied!

The precious air left while the poor Kerbal died.

It opened its mouth like a scary black hole.

And then it just casually swallowed his soul.

The others just screamed. And they screamed many times.

You know you are doomed when your life story rhymes.

What.