What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made a first, very glitchy crack at Earth 10, that is Earth but ten times larger.

My rocket.

15837987937_c7554c4aaa_h.jpg

Its sad little suborbital trajectory. And that was with a whopping 4 km/s boost from the Earth's rotation, since I didn't touch the day length.

15404097273_955c68afb6_h.jpg

What it would take. Around a 25 km/s orbital speed.

16021787281_a80875a288_h.jpg

Like the original fanworks thread, the What Did You Do thread got over a thousand pages. So here's a reset. If a mod thinks this to be a bad idea, just go ahead and lock this. But remember that the original fanworks thread was rebooted as well!

What did you do in KSP today? I tried to do a Pol mission, but due to my engineer's ineptitude, Jeb had to abort the mission and fly back while already on a trajectory that nearly intersected Duna. He then proceeded to land on Kerbin's south pole and beat up Anti-Santa so that he couldn't torture the children of kerbin this year. The Anti-Workshop is now a Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Factory.

Then I made a 100x scale Kerbin as a prototype for Cantab's 10x scale Earth. Try 34.2 km/s delta-v to orbit. Very fun. Or evil. I get the two mixed up.

So what did you do?

I must be getting old and forgetful. I resumed Mun missions today after putting up two space stations... one around Kerbin, the other around Mun. The Mun mission used a new lander I built, which flew fine, loaded with science experiments. Once on the Mun (East Farside Crater), I realized I forgot a COM antenna... blunder #1. Getting back up into Mun orbit, I bypassed the space station and redocked with the launcher for a return trip to Kerbin - no point in using the lander without an antenna. Blunder #2 came as I was about to a final burn for Kerbin reentry (close to KSC)... I discovered I forgot to put chutes on the capsule. So, after a crew recovery mission, I'm back to business. *sigh*

I'll now keep a check-list in Wordpad open during builds.

I've also made a document noting every rocket, with it's intended staging and all action groups defined (what does what).

But, yes, I'm still having fun lol.

Jetpack? 10char

I thought about it, but decided I had to use the fuel from the landers to make it to Pol and Bop, then back to Kerbin. I cheated only once, when Jeb ran out of EVA fuel when he was within 5m of the cockpit, after an EVA landing on Pol. I was using Proot's KSPRC pack, Even with ATM and Half res, it looks quite good.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Robotengineer

Looks nice. I just hope that the synchotrons on the sides workout ok. They are quite heavy after all. That's why my last ship of this kind was launched in one go. Was a challenge for me , but it really helps rigidity.

So far, everything looks good. The most unstable part of the ship assembly is gone, when I was docking the fuel tanks on the bottom. Now, there's no wobble at all.

I got bored.

You see, I've been flying my megarover to Mun; it's 600 tons (well, about 470 now, it's expended half its fuel), but it's being propelled by the equivalent of a single LV-N. So that's a good ~4 hours of burn time, AND you can't use physics acceleration, AND it's so big the game slows down by at least half. I'm a bit over halfway through that burn, but like I said, it gets boring. So I took a break from that to finish a design I've been toying with for a while. And that led to this:

lKedqoP.png

Introducing, the... well, the engineers at WeaselWorks wanted to call it the "Soggy Weasel 2a" to fit with their other spaceplane design names (Sleazy Weasel, Dinky Weasel, Chunky Weasel, Stinky Weasel). This time, the pilots flatly refused; they call it the Pteracuda instead.

That picture was taken at the abandoned airstrip, as you can tell. The thing is, it didn't fly there; Mergard Kerman drove it. Yep, it's a boat, and a rover. Specifically, it's a hydrofoil, with a top speed of 44m/s when the floats are emptied of fuel, and on Kerbin it can maintain that speed as long as there's sunlight. This is the reason for the command seat on top of the cabin; that's the bass fishing seat for when the pilot gets bored on long trips.

Now, that being said, I've been turning it into a plane as well once I got the critical boat/rover functionality working. Right now it can also use the electric propellers to fly at ~130m/s at sea level, again as long as the sunlight holds out, but the aerodynamics aren't great so the landings are scary. Other features include:

> RAPIER engines, and enough fuel to get it to orbit. Yep, it's an SSTO!

> Ion engines, and enough xenon to get it to Laythe.

> A Kethane refinery, with drill mounted on the end of a KAS winch inside an upside-down cargo bay. Open the bay, extend the winch, and start drilling... no, the plane doesn't actually need fuel to fly, but it was intended to be like my other rovers, as emergency refuel/recovery for vessels that land on certain bodies without enough fuel to take off. (I'll put one on Laythe, and maybe another on Eve. Once it's on the ground it doesn't need air, so Eve's oceans are just as good to play on.)

> A winch with an electromagnet in the cargo bay, and one without in the tail assembly. These are for linking up with other vessels when the inline docking port doesn't fit; I'd wanted to use an asteroid claw, but they wouldn't fit crosswise.

Now, I'm still tweaking the design because it's got some severe limitations. For one thing, when transitioning from land to water you can't be going faster than about 5m/s or else it'll rip off the floats. And forget about trying to land in water while flying. There are also some minor mass issues with aerodynamics, but it felt like a productive Sunday.

(In case you're wondering about the parts: lots of Firespitter and B9 parts, but the black pontoons are made from the KW rocketry radial tanks, scaled down. The 1.25m ones are simple LFO tanks, just like the parent parts, but the smaller 0.625m ones are just 3000-unit batteries. The long, skinny fixed solar panels are an old FusTek part I've kept around.)

Edited by Spatzimaus

That's a nice looking SSTO, Fail-Man! These shperical tanks are so funny. :)

Well, my mothership was almost complete, so I went for a test flight.

iEaoKlx.jpg

FYebpOU.jpg

Yeah. I should've expected that earlier. But I was too ambitious to send the whole station in one piece to Eve.

The Discovery 1 Mission has been canceled. For now. And motherships are a no-go for my Kerbals, until I figure some way to avoid the wobbling. I wonder if there's any mod that fixes that... :)

Edited by Kowgan

Over the weekend I flew to KSC 2 for the first time. Glad I decided to do that during the day; thing was hard enough to spot as it was. Landed and farted around there for a bit. Also sent six Kerbals to the Mun and had Jeb drive around a Hellrider 7 rover five clicks away from the landing site. Rendezvoused the ascent stage of the lander with the command module. Next up is to send the command module on to Minmus, where another lander is awaiting my current intrepid crew. All for the Kadvent Kalendar, of course.

Inspired by justidutch i created a ring station at the Mun.

Pic 1

However because of poor engineering skills the ends never did meet up :( There was supposed to be a central column that the ring would be tied to using KAS winches but with the part count so high my computer can't handle anymore construction. It was attempted but then crashed into the mun :P

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Edited by Cerberus738

Well, my mothership was almost complete, so I went for a test flight.

[...]

Yeah. I should've expected that earlier. But I was too ambitious to send the whole station in one piece to Eve.

The Discovery 1 Mission has been canceled. For now. And motherships are a no-go for my Kerbals, until I figure some way to avoid the wobbling. I wonder if there's any mod that fixes that... :)

Kerbal Joint Reinforcment helps.

Also: don't give up yet: Try switching around some of the modules. Get the lab with the synchotrons, that weight I think 20t each, further back. I think if you angle it right you might be able to place it directly on the fuel block.

KAS would help via manually attaching more struts across the modules once connected in space!