What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Just spent the last two days designing a launch vehicle & rover for my Duna exploration program which began at 10am yesterday (5/8/13). Results as follows.

Pathfinder I: lost to interplanetary space

Pathfinder II: flipped over on landing

Pathfinder III: signal loss due to Ike eclipse resulting in unscheduled deorbit (Remote tech)

Pathfinder IV: Launch vehicle malfunction

Pathfinder V: Collided with a mountain during aerobraking

Given the losses, the Pathfinder program has been cancelled.

Just spent the last two days designing a launch vehicle & rover for my Duna exploration program which began at 10am yesterday (5/8/13). Results as follows.

Pathfinder I: lost to interplanetary space

Pathfinder II: flipped over on landing

Pathfinder III: signal loss due to Ike eclipse resulting in unscheduled deorbit (Remote tech)

Pathfinder IV: Launch vehicle malfunction

Pathfinder V: Collided with a mountain during aerobraking

Given the losses, the Pathfinder program has been cancelled.

So.... path to failure found. GREAT SUCCESS!! :D

In my further preparations to send an Apollo-style mission to the NAM, I launched Tartarus 7 - the loaded LEM portion of the mission - to further map out the area and to test the lander design. Mun transfer went off without too many hitches; got a circumlunar free return trajectory and landed within 200 meters of the flag Jeb planted on his last visit to the site. Broke off one of the four lander pods on landing - at 4 m/s; kinda annoyed about that. Unloaded the equipment (a rover and a portable science station on each lander pod) from the lander; am now thinking I should've used decouplers instead of seperators for that job -the separators left a lot of junk. Fortunately a lot of it was used to feed the Kraken so it'd leave the important crap alone. Since there were two probe cores on the lander pod that broke off, I was even able to get them seperated as well - so I delivered four science stations and four mini crap rovers to the site. Set the rovers up as a bullseye; used one of them to ferry Jeb out to the Memorial again, where this time he jetpacked up and planted a flag on top of the Memorial. Each rover then used that flag as the targeting point and I set them up at 150 meter intervals along the cardinal directions. So at this point the Memorial site is well marked.

The science stations...didn't have as much luck with them. Basically they consisted of an OKTO-2, an RTG, four science instruments, four toothpick lander legs, an FL-T100 and an ant engine. Deploying them proved to be extraordinarily difficult.

Jeb and Bill took the obligatory ride on Bullseye around the site, up past Tranquility and back to the Tartarus, with Bullseye moving back to its designated parking area for liftoff.

Lifted off with the ascent stage - which is where the mission went horribly wrong. I'd left SAS turned on the entire time Jeb and Bill were gallivanting on the surface and the ascent stage had no RCS backup for attitude control. Out of power, the only way it could steer was with the ascent stage engine turned on. It actually did manage to make orbit, but I got bad data for the return burn - burned right into the Mun. Haven't checked to see if Jeb and Bill's next of clone have come out of the tanks yet.

I guess this mission showed me the overall design problems I would've had in the event that this had been the actual mission. I know now which kinks need to be ironed out when I try again. I do wonder if I now have too much stuff out there to do things in the spirit of the "Doing-it-Apollo Style" challenge, what with the site now heavily mapped out and ground markers all over the damn place.

Also tested a new heavy rover design. It sucked - going to have to try again later.

Came up with a new kind of heavy landing gear. The hydraulic ones are nice, don't get me wrong, but when you're building something truly big, you need bigger feet.

Drop testing:

Field trials:

Now I just need to put together something truly massive and then give it a whirl.

Edited by Whackjob

Rather than seven minutes, of terror, it was 1.5 hours of frustration, 5 minutes of terror, and a fair few more of fun.

I landed Inquisitivity on Duna. Here's a shot of the skycrane flying of to meet its grounded destiny.

RqXeoDih.png

Link to the whole mission http://imgur.com/a/FAJCJ

Nasa is so lucky, the way they landed it first time, no quicksaves.

Edited by Tw1

Rather than seven minutes, of terror, it was 1.5 hours of frustration, 5 minutes of terror, and a fair few more of fun.

I landed Inquisitivity on Duna. Here's a shot of the skycrane flying of to meet its grounded destiny.

RqXeoDih.png

Link to the whole mission to follow.

Nasa is so lucky, the way they landed it first time, no quicksaves.

If I'm not mistaken, they did use an autopilot, so don't feel bad.

If I'm not mistaken, they did use an autopilot, so don't feel bad.

Yeah, it's pretty much the only way to land things on other planets ATM :P:)

I did too, for the skycrane, I wanted it to be sudden like the real thing.

But I had to trigger it at the right point by hand, or else, splat.

Established a permanent Mun arch research base

Launching the Lander + Rover

ABD6C1A5E2BC905DE288E116454520DDC88B7849

Rover is detached from the rocket and lands separately from the Lander. here they are both landed

CC073D7BE9E88EF7063C2B7BD6ECF9380768B80F

Launching the research base

49892EA18DFFF72345FB5285115AB8EB35676643

Immaculate landing within a 200m of the first landing

83D58988A9C655B4554AD3FA9237B1CDA09162A9

Our top Scientist Sheldon Kerman is dispatched to do some science

E61A16743582FFB67568F735DFC134F968292F98

Um, not sure why this is in space lounge.

Isn't that intended for off topic stuff, not KSP stuff?

Perhaps mission reports is better? If not general, that is.

Edited by Tw1

Sent a Hellhound to Minmus to find the floating monolith. Drove 14 kilometers from the landing site; considering I'd never been in Minmus's highlands before, I think that's not too shabby personally. The Hellhound was equipped with a KER flight computer, so I was able to get it to the coordinates indicated by kerbalmaps (at least close enough to spit - .0007 degrees to the south and .03 degrees to the east. I should be able to see it by now, I'd imagine...but yet it eludes me......

I'm sure I'll find it; the NAM eluded me too. Just a matter of turning the camera the right way. Of course, if it's underground, that might prove to be problematic.