What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

What I did in KSP today, was push infinigliding technology to its limits. For the No-engine flyer challenge.

OtYMQmC.jpg

Kerbals on external seats were moved to the center in the version used in my challenge entry, as they would experience less shaking there, and stay on longer.

IDVkjXh.png

Moderators, please re-relocate this. It's in the wrong spot.

Edited by Tw1

I finally landed my very impractical munar mining rover / truck...

Thing is 22 tonnes, has a crane, a kethane drill set up on a tilter and slide bar (can pack the lot on the truck and adjust height of the drill easily), has a box with 4 KAS horizontal cable stacks, has all the KAS bits, has its own landing engines (could potentially hop around the mun but I aint letting that thing go airborne ever again)... it has virtually everything I could think of for a mobile mining platform...just the capacity is ... a tad... small.

Learnt a lot from this flight...

Never going to try landing 20+ tonnes on a single LVN... I got to the Mun with 22 min of burn time on the sucker, I ran out of fuel the TWR was so small (0.13), the engines on the truck had a better TWR but not enough fuel for a full landing.

Never going to mount a LVN stacked, always 2 or 3 radially...the length of the engine makes the whole lifter a wobbly mess even with struts.

Never going to not check a probes orientation... flying a awkward wobbly lifter with the probe upside down is a sod.

Never going to try land a large rover without a skycrane or sky hook affair... the complexity of switching from a vertical rocket to a horizontal truck with rockets under the chassis while dropping at 15 m/s and trying to fight the new orientation suddenly before the truck smacks the surface.

Never going to use stabilising landing gears to land on with a truck with wheels, damn things nearly destroyed my truck as the thing had a bit of horizontal speed (something like 0.5 m/s) and the legs jammed into the surface and catapulted my truck nearly to orbit... had to unpack the things and settle on the wheels.

... none the less I got my truck there, pity it landed nowhere near any Kethane deposits but considering the length of the landing... any munar ground was good enough, the thing has wheels and Bill hasnt got a return craft so nothing better to do than set up a Kethane mining camp and wait for the rest of the crew to arrive.

It is funny how a simple and silly thing can cause so much intensity, rage and despair and finally satisfaction.

Will get to posting pics when I have rested, got to a Kethane deposit and can show off in style... for now I leave Bill in his truck far away from any route or highway grill.

Did alot, unfortunately it all ended in disaster of one sort or another.

Only productive thing was putting yet another satellite in orbit around Kerbin, this one at higher altitude than the others.

Since everything remotely complicated was going haywire on me today I went back to basics and made it as simple as it gets:

ScreenShot133_zpsd1066ea1.jpg

ScreenShot135_zpsf224cb52.jpg

Last night I scrapped my original Apollo-style Mun rocket design; I came to the conclusion that I really wanted one of my larger, more stable rovers for the mission and my dress-rehearsal landing proved the science probes I'd designed wouldn't be up to snuff. So first I designed some new sci packages and modded the rover to carry them around; that way they could be deployed from the rover instead of requiring them to be independent. Testing was largely successful; I'll have to remember to bring the rover to a halt before deploying the packages attached to the front, but that's not a big deal. Next step was to redesign the descent stage of the lander; that rover had been designed to use a discardable skycrane - okay if you're just transporting a rover on a one-way trip, bad idea if you've got Kerbals riding down with it. Came up with a new challenge idea in the process of testing that design. Finally, I added all the hardware to the Apollo design elements I had already (CSM and LEM ascent stage) and redesigned the booster. Booster test showed it didn't have sufficient delta-V to achieve orbit on its own and my computer spontaneously shut down before I could try again. Tonight will likely see further booster redesign efforts. Occurs to me that I might want to do a dress rehearsal with the new LEM...

Began getting some feedback on the KSP-based card game I'm currently working on.

I went to space today. Actually, I started playing on .21 again because I rage quit for a few days to recover from the quad-couplers. But really it was the SAS logic that screwed me. I have a thread open with some questions if anyone can help. But I am currently building a station in a 500km orbit, but I screwed up with the decouplers on the docking ports TWICE with my fuel modules, so I relocated the defective ones to 300 and 100Km orbits. Next I'm adding a cupola and that's about it. I'm trying to keep the part count down for my poor computer.

I decided to embrace Kebal Alarm Clock in all its glory. And therefore launched a mission to Moho that never left Kerbin's SOI before I launched a mission to Mun, and then launched 2 missions to try to grab the debris from my poorly planned mission to Mun that would orbit Kerbin for all eternity.

My first grabber's arms broke off due to no problem on my end (KSP collison physics did not like it when my ships refused to bounce off each other), and I had to admit defeat and delete those extra debris pieces (I can't imagine trying to grab all of those!). I was able to deorbit the grabber craft itself, but not the spent stage it was supposed to grab. So, I launched a second grabber that will hopefully do the trick. However, It never reached its target as I'm waiting for closest approach and planning my robotic mission to Minmus :)

My time was spent exploding, or watching my main stage separate from my command pod, or wondering why my altitude was going down, or figuring out that the reason was because I was trying to ascend on an Ion engine instead of a Skipper, or CTDing.

I did go to space though... once...

i went completed my rescue misson of the 2 stranded kerbals on mun. Got back to Kerbal, deployed my chutes, and the landing module that i forgot to put chutes on flew off into the ground.............

learning steps........ 1 outta 3 kerbals surviving isn't that bad

Edit: strange, i went to recover my surviving kerbal and it sent me back into space like it never happen (not even near a quick save) so they all survived \o/

Edited by Fernbhoy

Built a three-man (kerbal?) orbital craft, the Serpent Mk.1. Not very impressive, I know, but I have a hard time working with 3m parts (and building rockets in general), so this is a big win for me.

emcRprz.png

In case you're wondering, the achievements in my banner were achieved through modifications to Vanndamode's excellent Mk.59 Moon Visitor.

I started my Beagle Flight story in Fan Works.

I had a mission report of the same name but my save got messed up so that story ended. This new story is taking a different twist that the mission report. Heck even I don't know where it is going until I start playing again. :)

And no, I don't have any Beagles. Other dogs but no Beagle. :D

Edited by BostLabs

Worked on updated for KSP 0.21.1 simple rocket designs. The update allowed me to remove fins and SAS controllers, but had to add solar panels.

My simple three Kerbalnaut orbiter with maneuvering thrusters, updated.

Command Module

1. Command Pod MK1-2

2. Parachute MK16-L

3. Rockomax coupler

4. FL R1 RCS Fuel Tank

5. Rockomax X200-32 fuel tank

6. Rockomax “Skipper†Rocket Engine

7. Set of 4 RV-105 Thruster Pack mounted at center of gravity

8. Eight OX-Stat solar panels

First Stage

1. Rockomax coupler

2. 2 stacked X200-32 fuel tanks

3. Rockomax X200-16

4. Rockomax X200-8 fuel tank.

5. Mainsail Engine.

6. Braces to stitch all first stage fuel tanks together.

7. Four Launch Stabilizers

This gets into a 100K orbit with fuel to spare even though thrusters can easily be used for a return burn. It is also very stable to launch to orbit.

Put a long range comsat (big enough that I labeled it a station) in geosynchronous orbit, oposite of the space center. My short range comsats can feed a signal to it so I can run long range coms to Duna even if KSC is on the opposite side of it. I'm using remote tech for all of this.