What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I built a replica of the Strela rocket. Strela means arrow in russian.

Here it is on the pad.

mHTgmZi.png

Here the srb that pushed it of the pad.

OwHlRNj.png

Here it is in flight.

Itif5dM.png

Almost out of fuel in the first stage.

Fo6Orx0.png

First stage separation and second stage ignition.

oSPTciy.png

My Jeb, Bob and Bill are currently orbiting the Mun. I'm playing an intermediate campaign and I'm biome-hopping. The lander has just enough dV to make it down and back up to the refuel station. Five more times and I'll have enough Science for many many technodes. Some may call it cheating... but I'm getting pretty good at landing on the Mun.

9QutXcfh.jpg

Next "mission" is biome-hopping on Minimus. This time Val will have to assemble a team and go. Maybe I'm even building a real space station there.

Accepted contract to rendezvous two craft in LKO . Sent up basic one man Orbiter w/ tiny docking port and Jeb. Sent up identical orbiter with Val. Val docked with Jeb, then insisted the craft should be renamed "Love Boat" upon completion of the docking. :wink::wink:

Jeb is once again stranded on Mun in my career, but this time hi isn't in orbit but on the surface. He went there to complete 3 contracts: science from space around Mun, science from Mun's surface and plant the flag. He did it all, but horizontal speed was a bit too high on landing so craft tipped over and exploded. All that survived were his capsule and scientific instruments. He collected data, planted the flag and is now waiting for Valentina to come and rescue him

Today I loaded my .90 apollo analogue vessel and sent it on a voyage to the Mun.

Sadly the decent stage of the lander had just a bit less dV than necessary. Jeb pulled the abort switch at 1000m. Just managed to get the ascent stage back into a stable orbit before shutdown. Bob flew the CSM to within 100m for docking, but ran out of mono at the last minute. So jeb conducted the final docking from the Munar Ascent Module. They made it back to Kerbin. No ticker tape parade though.

All in all, it loosely resembled an Apollo 10 mission in the end.

Now... back to the lander design 1.x drawing board... The engine performance changes were very noticeable.

Today I prepared MM files to change the science gain in the game. Only to realize that I cannot do it the way I thought I would because data scalar is not used to calculate science lab data, only transmission data size. Back to square one.

Just had some sort of wierd kraken happen. The screen blacked out for a second while I was changing inclination at moho. I had the heat overlay on and the heat info in action menus on so I could monitor the nuke engine, so when it came back, the ship was all cold except for the engine, I was confused for a second then I realized, the sun is gone! So was Moho seemingly, and the map.

I exited the game and returned and things are fine, unfortunately, I have no idea what happened other than kraken.

Edited by smjjames

Flew a supersonic plane up, over the north pole and about a fifth of the way down the other side for a survey contract (crew report over 19000) and back again. it was a long flight... a lot of micromanagement of the throttle and pitch to keep it at the highest speed that was safe, without rapid disassembly. What I wouldn't have given for an autothrottle.

Built and tested a probe lander using early Career access parts. You have to fly carefully after burnout and staging of the SRBs. The liquid second stage, the LV-45 burns out at suborbital insertion. The fins are critical for stability at booster burnout and early second stage flight. The nose cone is then jettisoned. Third stage achieves orbit, sends the probe to Minmus and achieves high orbit using the LV-909. The probe stage finalizes orbit and lands the probe using the 48-S.

weEnLdE.jpg

iHK8A7p.jpg

fPA71A1.jpg?1

Made my first SSTO passenger run in career mode. Starlet Alice launched from KSC with two scientists and two tourists, refueled at Kilgore Station in LKO, stopped at Barbicane Station in Munar orbit for the tourists, now on its way to Bass Station in Minmus orbit where it will drop off the scientists and pick up some data for return to Kerbin along with the tourists.

KGk5gCih.jpg

setting the ratio record of mission/kerbal day ; )

moaaaaar seriously, finishing to fill my "3 stations" and "Kerbin Base" with experienced scientists and data experiments and finish to unlock the tech tree, before starting a mun and minmus base and ore mining

Today I launched my first Kerbaled mission to the Mun.

Following the success of the probe mission, it seemed like the next step and the bods in mission control seemed very confident.

But, they do seem to be shuffling their feet when the idea of getting the pilot back is mentioned.

Today I played for a really long time, so long that I already forgot most of the stuff I did.

I'm playing moderate career, and have fully scraped Minmus clean for science. Missing a few top nodes, but nothing I really need yet. If I do, I still got some biomes on Mun.

I continued working a little bit on my Minmus mining op. Landed a fuel tank next to the miner for some stationary storage space. I'm working with KAS, so resource transferring has become a walk in the park. I also filled up and launched my 900t SSTO (idea from another thread) from Minmus and it is currently orbiting Minmus, waiting for a transfer window to Duna. There it will land and fill up the tanks again.

I also did a rescue run to the Mun and Minmus to pick up some Kerbals I had forgotten about. Bill and a white suit came home after being stuck in a poorly equipped science lab around the Mun for three years, producing almost no science. The same ship also picked up another white kerbal from the surface, before it took off and headed home. The fuel ran dry with the periapsis above Kerbin at about 500k. Bill EVAd and pushed it retrograde until it came into suborbital trajectory. Jeb got picked up from the surface of Minmus a couple of days later, where he has been stuck on a "Plant Flag on Minmus" mission for three years. Finally, every orange suit is back, except Bob, which is in the 900t SSTO (I think).

Oh, and I landed a miner on the Mun, just for the sake of ore contracts. Probed it a little bit, and thought I landed at an okay spot. Somehow my drills are really bad compared to the one on Minmus. The % is a little bit lower, but not by much. The drills are only 1/4 as effective, give or take. :S

I'm not really sure what I did before dinner today... The clock is almost 7 AM, and I should really get to bed. :) Will get better at taking pictures!

Edited by kulkan1

Today I had to make a rather tough decision.

Everything was going nominally on my second Minmus landing when suddenly, Daphjorie touched down a bit too hard with the solar panels deployed and broke both of them. The transmitter, which had been in the middle of uploading some data, immediately used up all the remaining electricity in the pod, leaving the lander basically non-functional.

So what to do - revert to my last quicksave and claim "that's not really what happened" ...or IRONMAN IT LIKE A BOUSE?

First, I checked to see if anyone nearby was leveled up enough to fix the panels. Nope. The closest I have is Bill (or was it Bob? I keep mixing those two up xP), who's about half a level short of that ability. However... I COULD bring my Kerbals home (and then with any luck one of them will be able to do it) and then send a recovery mission back to get the lander. As for Daphjorie, she was fortunate to discover that her EVA pack was more than sufficient to get her back up to the ship in orbit.

So that's the plan I went with. She will of course enjoy a thorough debriefing upon return to Kerbin and perhaps some remedial piloting lessons. At least now I know why she needed to get rescued way back when xD