What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I launched the largest, most unwieldy payload in my KSP career. Just look at that fairing! KSP's aero model is way better than it was before, but I'm glad it still isn't quite there yet.

pgdcXgK.jpg

The payload in question is a heavy orbital refueler, which is going to service a fleet of interplanetary cruisers. The future looks busy indeed.

3NDEkXu.jpg

I took pretty much my entire space program on a training flight to Minmus and The Mun.

Post trip they are all now 2* . . . . I also got 500,000 from a "Do minmus and the mun with 1 craft" contract which I'd forgotten I'd accepted! Nice bonus

With hindsight I should have designed the lander better, needed more thrust and lower center of gravity, only JUST had enough chutes too . . . In true Kerbal fashion it was knocked up very quickly and cheaply.

IA0C2OU.png

dee95Dq.png

gIzy30N.png

Had to rebuild my station in RSS today. First station was at a 400km orbit. The docking ports would randomly explode and split my station. I had to reload my quick save to get around it (2-3 times). Ten minutes later it does it again. So I let the Kraken take my station. ;.;

Started a new career (sandbox of course). Built my new station at a 1000km orbit. No issues after five docking procedures. :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/uolVTo1.png

Very good looking!! What mods are you using? I can see Near Future... what else?

Last night after farting around a bit with the design of the Condor 7 I got back to work, bringing Ludine and her crew up from Minmus for a return to Minmusport and bringing Necessary Evil into dock at Munport. It was as I was entering Munar orbit that I realized something was seriously wrong - one of the tourists I had brought along for the trip to Mun had "Orbit the Mun" as part of their itinerary and I wasn't awarded for the contract. Brought up my contract list, and sure enough - the damn game had dumped all of my contracts. Again. Last time this happened, a reload from quicksave was enough to salvage the situation - in this case, it put me to just before Ludine's crew landed on Minmus, and the contracts still weren't there...

So today I'm going to try to patch the contracts in my persistence file. I do have a backup persistence file - from a week ago (and I'm sitting here shaking my head because I've accomplished a lot this week), but most of the contracts I want to keep (like the Aerospike test and Explore Duna contracts) are still in there. I plan to just cherry-pick from the ones I've got and the new ones being offered. Might have to fudge with the crew files too (mainly for tourists). I'll make another "clean" copy of the current persistence file before I do all this just in case I screw it up; push comes to shove, I can just live with the new order of things. I'd be like cancelling a whole bunch of contracts and not getting penalized for it. I would want to bring Valentina and her bunch back to Kerbin at the earliest possibility...

EDIT: Took this screenie the other day of a Vulture 7 refueling plane in orbit. Don't know when the next time I'll be able to post a screenie that looks quite so clean, so I figured I'd share it.

qKCu7Wo.png

Edited by capi3101

I took pretty much my entire space program on a training flight to Minmus and The Mun.

Post trip they are all now 2* . . . . I also got 500,000 from a "Do minmus and the mun with 1 craft" contract which I'd forgotten I'd accepted! Nice bonus

With hindsight I should have designed the lander better, needed more thrust and lower center of gravity, only JUST had enough chutes too . . . In true Kerbal fashion it was knocked up very quickly and cheaply.

http://i.imgur.com/IA0C2OU.png

http://i.imgur.com/dee95Dq.png

http://i.imgur.com/gIzy30N.png

Instead of landing on the Mun, you should have nudged Kerbin's SOI entering Sun orbit for a moment, and just enter Mun orbit. That produces 3-* kerbals.

Well, it was 3 a.m. when I finished this flight.

Yeah, launching something at 1 FPS is not so fun, but once in space it handles wery well.

http://orig00.deviantart.net/8093/f/2015/205/7/2/n1_l3_by_alchemist_ch-d92lfcv.png

Is that... a double clipped cockpit?

Also what witchcraft powers the bit of the landing module that gets left on the surface? Can't work out how you didn't just have to freefall once the poodle had detached...

Just set down a miniature rover on Eve on my hard sandbox save.

8Jaiyqg.png

The entire transfer vehicle took two launches to assemble, the first one carried the lander shown in the pic, and the second was a large orange tank with a Skipper engine for the transfer. The transfer and capture couldn't have been any better, it had just enough fuel to transfer, orbit, and enter a shallow sub-orbital trajectory without any aerobraking. The fuel ran out when the periapsis was at ~1000m. During the descent, I ditched the orange tank, and tried to keep the lander pointed the right way, since it looked like it wanted to flip. The flames finally stopped, and I deployed the drogues, and the main chutes shortly after. The lander touched down at a nice 3.5 m/s. Then, I retracted the landing legs to bring the cargo bay to ground level, and opened the doors. I detached the rover, and it rolled right out. This is one of my greatest accomplishments so far, since I didn't revert/reload anything.

Is that... a double clipped cockpit?

Also what witchcraft powers the bit of the landing module that gets left on the surface? Can't work out how you didn't just have to freefall once the poodle had detached...

Well, Soyuz descent modules are a bit crammed.

And with the lander it's a simple trick - just offset the decupler a bit higher, so that the engine can fire through it

Instead of landing on the Mun, you should have nudged Kerbin's SOI entering Sun orbit for a moment, and just enter Mun orbit. That produces 3-* kerbals.

Well, that's the next training flight planned then!

Thanks for the tip

After an unsuccessful launch of yet another spaceplane Val hatched an evil plan to rid herself of those troublesome engineers...

screenshot5_zpsisxyyhq1.png

Second attempt made orbit, but very hard to land when it gets low on fuel as there is just way, way, way too much weight on the back end, need to figure out a counter balance system for this, or ditch the nukes. (but I like being a pure LF spaceplane...)

screenshot10_zpstkldxkys.png

And then I goofed off, turned on infinite fuel and tried to reach the speed of light, after quite some time of burning and accellerating and only reaching the speed shown here (slightly faster eventually) I got bored and gave up my ambitions.

screenshot9_zpscsbmjewp.png

Second attempt made orbit, but very hard to land when it gets low on fuel as there is just way, way, way too much weight on the back end, need to figure out a counter balance system for this, or ditch the nukes. (but I like being a pure LF spaceplane...)

I take it you're already shifting the LF as far forward as you possibly can after the de-orbit burn? I have to do that with my main re-fueling supply plane if I want it to remain stable. Maybe (and this is just a thought) replace the Mk2 cockpit with a Mk2 inline, stick a Mk2 to 1.25 adapter in front of that (empty out the oxidizer, of course), stick an NCS Adapter on the end of that, and then put a SAS cone on up front. That may play a bit much with the craft's aesthetics, but it'll give you some place to stick all your fuel up close to the nose and move the CoM forward. If you use FAR, you might even consider putting a Communotron 16 on the tip of the SAS cone and extending it while you're still in the SPH.

Nice looking spaceplane, BTW.

Edited by capi3101

Boring stuff to you who are boldly going beyond Kerbin's SOI but I'm still mucking about between Kerbal and Minmus. Made a successful unkerballed test of a simple 4 kerbal Mun/Minmus lander as a cheap and quick alternative to spaceplanes. Launch cost 45,000 funds, of which 13,000 is recoverable*. The Mk2 passenger cabin has the highest Kerbal to weight ratio and is probably more comfortable than a cramped capsule.

The 'Froglet'.

BG4WbeWh.png

Ascent into LKO. (Already staged the SRBs).

nF7ZwE4h.png

Landed at the Mun.

Returning to Kerbin. Aerodynamically stable coming in tail first without Autostab. Once it gets past the fire-y re-entry zone, opening the docking shield makes quite an effective airbrake and scrubs off another few m/s to make it safer to be deploy the chutes at high altitude:

oD7bjdRh.png

(*Terms and conditions apply. You may incur costs in recovery, depending on your aim.)

I take it you're already shifting the LF as far forward as you possibly can after the de-orbit burn? I have to do that with my main re-fueling supply plane if I want it to remain stable. Maybe (and this is just a thought) replace the Mk2 cockpit with a Mk2 inline, stick a Mk2 to 1.25 adapter in front of that (empty out the oxidizer, of course), stick an NCS Adapter on the end of that, and then put a SAS cone on up front. That may play a bit much with the craft's aesthetics, but it'll give you some place to stick all your fuel up close to the nose and move the CoM forward. If you use FAR, you might even consider putting a Communotron 16 on the tip of the SAS cone and extending it while you're still in the SPH.

Nice looking spaceplane, BTW.

Thanks! And yes since I use fuel balancer I was setting it to shift all the fuel into the front tank and foremost front side tanks (front tank alone doesn't do it lol) Even then with those tanks full (or mostly full) and the rest empty I can still tip it back just off RCS...

That's a neat lander design, Percy. I'm still designing my next-generation Mun and Minmus landers and your concept is giving me a few ideas.

Meanwhile, construction of Kerbin Orbital Station proceeds apace, with the addition of girders for solar and radiator arrays and a service module for the station's support needs:

Qr9YXV2.png?1

I also brought up a workerbot (seen below, hugging one of the girders), and a station crew, as the station itself has no probe control and so tends to... drift... while I'm trying to dock stuff to it. Solar arrays, a laboratory module, as well as a second habitat module and second station crew are next on the list.

Going to have to work fast, though. I'm planning my first ever Kerballed expedition to another planet - an orbital mission to Eve - and my next launch window is in just under a year's time.