What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Got a minmus, duna, ike fly by mission, set up a drone with minimal science but with an antenna to complete that for cheep.

Launched a mogo flyby mission, but I had to wait 3years for kerbin positioning so I wouldnt come zooming in at many many km/s, but luckily I had a few hundred dv to get into a capture and slightly degrading orbit.

Window for eve opened up so I sent the science probe I had to go investigate it and Gilly.

I also had suicidal tourists wanting to go through dunas atmosphere and sub orbital flight to the sun so I made a craft just for them and added a docking port just in case I wanted to rescue them later. Was a few hours from launching them towards duna when I realize I hadn't deployed the solar panels and they already had no electricity. Being as I didn't want to risk any of my own kerbals I was forced to make a probe to go off and open the solar panels using it, which is pretty hard when you only have 50k to spare and the tourists are on a highly elliptical orbit not to mention I haven't unlocked docking for MJ and haven't docked manually myself.

And after half an hour of carefully planning a rendevouz and 20 minutes of trying to dock, I have opened the panels. This is probably the most satisfying feeling I've had from this game

a>

Hey, that's brilliant! Seperatrons for pushing the lander down so it doesn't do the dreaded slow motion tip over (which i normally make much worse by hitting the wrong key due to odd camera angles).

Edited by Wintersdark

Hey, that's brilliant! Seperatrons for pushing the lander down so it doesn't do the dreaded slow motion tip over (which i normally make much worse by hitting the wrong key due to odd camera angles).

It had those nesting motors for real (not as big and powerful, but still). LK never had the fuel for gentle landings, so it was made to compensate for some lateral velocity and terrain slope this way.

Having ended up all high tech in 1.0.2 career using Rapiers, I went back to simple stuff and had a go at testing to see how well low-tech jet+rocket planes work in 1.0.4.

Low (ish) tech version of the 'Flash Harry' 2 seater made it to 75x75km orbit with fuel to spare for a spot of rendezvousing:

Unpjaaoh.png

The 8 seat 'Edie Hornet' got up OK as well, so I have no reason to think that the cargo version won't work. (Albeit with a relatively small payload fraction):

Fr4aBW0h.png

Both have had the precoolers removed from previous versions as they don't seem to do much. (As other people have found.) The Flash Harry works best with only 200l LF in each fuselage tank, rather than the new full 400l capacity.

I also sent a pair of landers to look at a couple of Mun Arches...

I completed the Moho mission. The return trip was much easier than I expected.

moho_mission_4.jpeg

The mothership was left in a highly eccentric orbit, so the lander needed about 2500 m/s.

moho_mission_5.jpeg

moho_mission_6.jpeg

moho_mission_7.jpeg

moho_mission_8.jpeg

Just a routine insertion burn.

moho_mission_9.jpeg

I started playing around with space station layouts. I want something, that does not look like an ISS or a von Braun Ring while being modular and multi-functional. This will take some time for sure.

I am planning on utilizing my new spaceplane for space station construction, so every part has to fit inside the cargo bay and must be dockable with help of an RCS tug.

5ubyiKY.png

Holy Flying Whale Batman!!, How much does that thing weigh, and what's its top speed?

Well . . . fast enough to make orbit (those are multimode engines on it) and I didnt check the weight. Only weight I care about is the 45 tons of nominal payload capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

I started playing around with space station layouts. I want something, that does not look like an ISS or a von Braun Ring while being modular and multi-functional. This will take some time for sure.

I am planning on utilizing my new spaceplane for space station construction, so every part has to fit inside the cargo bay and must be dockable with help of an RCS tug.

http://i.imgur.com/5ubyiKY.png

I like the use of girders as visual structural elements.

After extensive testing, I finally began constructing my grand expedition to the Sarnus system

ZTcaEAw.png

I7XBX1T.png

The Pion 1 has a little bit of everything: the lander is Vall-rated, has a full science suite for airless bodies, and can refuel the mothership. The ship itself has six NERVAS, and 80 tons of liquid fuel. It doesn't have quite enough delta-v to make it out to Sarnus in one go, so I'm going to be making pit stops along the way, first at Minmus, and then at Vall. It's also carrying three atmospheric probes, to probe the atmospheres of Jool, Sarnus, and Tekto. The data gathered during those descents will gauge the effectiveness of aerobraking in future missions.

Depending on how well the Pion performs, I might keep the drive stage after this mission is over. Hopefully it can be reused, help build some infrastructure, and carry missions even further afield.

Having ended up all high tech in 1.0.2 career using Rapiers, I went back to simple stuff and had a go at testing to see how well low-tech jet+rocket planes work in 1.0.4.

Low (ish) tech version of the 'Flash Harry' 2 seater made it to 75x75km orbit with fuel to spare for a spot of rendezvousing:

http://i.imgur.com/Unpjaaoh.png

Those are really cool. I've been playing with Spaceplanes a bit lately, I've always kinda liked them more than the typical vertical rockets, but have never been able to really orbit with one. I always run out of fuel, so add more, which means heavier, so still no orbit.... Excuse me while I hijack with a little question ;)

In this craft, the "jet fuel" tanks are in front of the "rocket fuel" tanks. I know the typical liquid fuel works for jet engines too, but is less efficient, so I've been "turning off" the fuel use from my rocket fuel tanks until I need them. In this craft you made, did you do something special to make the Turbo Jet engines use jet fuel over the rocket fuel which they're connected to? Fuel transfer hoses or some such?

Those magnificent men in their flying machines,

they go up tiddly up up,

they go down tiddly down down.

They enchant all the ladies and steal all the scenes,

with their up tiddly up up

and their down tiddly down down.

Up, down, flying around,

looping the loop and defying the ground.

They're all frightfully keen,

those magnificent men in their flying machines.

They can fly upside with their feet in the air,

They don"t think of danger, they really don"t care.

Newton would think he had made a mistake,

To see those young men and the chances they take.

19870043605_24e7217130_b.jpg

Those are really cool. I've been playing with Spaceplanes a bit lately, I've always kinda liked them more than the typical vertical rockets, but have never been able to really orbit with one. I always run out of fuel, so add more, which means heavier, so still no orbit.... Excuse me while I hijack with a little question ;)

In this craft, the "jet fuel" tanks are in front of the "rocket fuel" tanks. I know the typical liquid fuel works for jet engines too, but is less efficient, so I've been "turning off" the fuel use from my rocket fuel tanks until I need them. In this craft you made, did you do something special to make the Turbo Jet engines use jet fuel over the rocket fuel which they're connected to? Fuel transfer hoses or some such?

It really doesnt matter. As long as you have some pure LF and some LFO tankage, you're good to go. It doesnt matter where the engines draw from really, just as long as all engines can get at the fuel they need (something to keep in mind with normal rocket engines).

Made it all the way to Dres, a probe laden with SCANsat and resource scanning equipment. During the final burn to park it right into a polar orbit, she shows up. Yack yack yack, yackitty yackitty yackitty, yap yap yap ... and the next thing I know I've got a probe crashed into Dres. :huh:

Note to self: When she shows up, hit Esc and pause!

Those magnificent men in their flying machines,

they go up tiddly up up,

they go down tiddly down down.

They enchant all the ladies and steal all the scenes,

with their up tiddly up up

and their down tiddly down down.

Up, down, flying around,

looping the loop and defying the ground.

They're all frightfully keen,

those magnificent men in their flying machines.

They can fly upside with their feet in the air,

They don"t think of danger, they really don"t care.

Newton would think he had made a mistake,

To see those young men and the chances they take.

Wow; makes me want a "steampunk" mod for KSP.

I delivered a full orange tank (as a test payload) to orbit with a Mk3 SSTO!

2xghIwE.png

msdYyip.png

Wwe68vG.png

And landed it 18.6kms from KSC. :D (Design is still a work-in-progress.)

This is a big deal for me, as I have always been lousy at making planes despite playing this game for 3 years.