What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Done an LKO rescue mission.

Whipped up an SSTO plane to bring a satellite to LKO, a really half-assed job to see if I still had it, an ugly thing with ten Whips, one Mainsail and a medium MK3 cargo bay, an ugly unkerbed drone. It took maybe 2 or 3 reverts before I reached some 30 degrees inclination orbit, deployed the satellite, then the plane fell apart during reentry. Some 200,000 down the drain, the thing was so ugly and handled so poorly I didn't really regret.

Took up a contract of "fetch Ore from Minmus", built a rather neat lander, took one of newbie pilots, one room for crew to fetch the rescuee from Minmus, who was stranded on the Duna Mission vessel, and would visit Duna if not returned to Kerbin for the contract. Picked her up on orbit, then landed at an ore spot. Deployed the drills, the gigantors. The pilot went to gather some science from nearby flats. She was just planting her flag when an explosion was heard. When she turned around, there was just a bunch of parts where the lander used to be. Quickload...

I'd swear I quicksaved on landing. Nope. Last quicksave was from yesterday. A whole day down the drain.

I killed my first Kerbal! :(

Raty Kerman was to be rescued from orbit, parachutes were duely added to her pod and it was deorbited. Heading for splash down just east of KSC at 7 m/s.

Anything less than 10 is fine right.....right?

Nope, not if they're in a science lab, crash tolerance = 6 m/s.....SIX!

Oh well lesson learned, sorry Raty....I was rescuing you cos I liked your name!

In this craft, the "jet fuel" tanks are in front of the "rocket fuel" tanks.

nothing special in the fuel connections, except fuel lines from the side tanks to the centre so the rocket can draw on them. They only ended up like that because I was fiddling around with the quantity of jet fuel and it was easier to add the tanks to the front of the stack!

The Edie Hornet has one small Mk2 jet tank in the centre spine but is mostly LF+oxidiser.

Any spare fuel +oxidiser is used for trimming the COM during re-entry. I pump everything into the tail tank so she sits nose up without autostab. in the upper atmosphere for braking, then pump a little oxidiser (and fuel, but only if I haven't enough oxidiser) into the forward tank as she starts to fly at 30-40 km. When the nose starts to drop I stop pumping, engage autostab. and fly home.

If I have a long homeward flight (usually because I have misjudged the re-entry point), burning jet fuel from the tail means that the COM will always move forward and I won't get caught out by a gradual shift backwards.

Having been caught out by COM shift early on, I am a little obsessive with building in trim tanks and pumping fuel to and fro in flight. Perhaps I should put it down as my 'quirk' ;)

Today for the first time in my year and something career at KSP I have tried to go for Eve...and I failed. Rocket launched perfectly, it went to interplanetary space...and then ran out of power just before correction burn was due. Only pic I have is from before launch, for some reason others weren't saved

zvmkSFL.png

I don't have a great record for missions outside of Kerbin SOI. 2/2 failed missions to Moho, 1/3 failed to Duna and now 1/1 failed to Eve...all unmanned though.

Going back to Mun to Recover someones craft for Contract and upgrade the Mun Station with a Science Module. Upon Launch and in the middle of my transfer orbit realized my grabber probe didn't have chutes, so, grabber probe became my next satellite in equatorial orbit, since it meets all parameters. And the reasoning behind the Mission title should be self explanatory once you see my pictures. Oh once more thing, right as I had just completed creating my orbit around Mun from the transfer I got a screen with vertical grey bars crap, at least my payload had already been grabbed and saved at that point. Restart computer with power button and got caught up to where crash or whatever it was that happened, happened, then align orbit with Mun Station and lower orbit for rendezvous, save and go to bed.

47B1C588BAA08977E3A6BC644C9214241CB89DBF

CAFEF885C44764B93A22715E25F302A19D0BB260

4C944E0F6AD8EE009E97E60B8855F6A6D86FB9E5

112253F9429AD0FFE5C6D2B3E2A7F5E455934803

C1DCED6428661561F06F9C2135FBB0AB0642CC99

FFD12903FEF8BAD4466361CEC009F5C97B5A5142

D67D8B72526019A9BB822F43A22D95345D122628

FB1C6FFB178741ECC885ACA43B60603A34E0A23A

5CFC8BE0C021F7B1D3D5DEE4EA74368EAB814923

34BA81D8341D0174FAC331E6AA67D3EF9FFEED25

5126789F849F9C84A94C7A05EF14F3FD620FBD50

09540F1B12F630B552CF95CD62F25D1319C61C92

0496D8690A171941E6098BCB7C30388DFA2D62EB

Lets grab this payload and go...

B5C96742EBD47AC9311988F306F0156A85BC4EE7

55F7A8C721A188E83647AFEAC28467C92F83D90A

8EA96C39C9681C63149C77ED26F2DE83853F36FF

D2027FFF80E2E351C5723291146A8C092D6439DF

OOOOOOOHHHHHH, Munar Eclipse, in space...

0AA31EFB70869B88D4A7CEBC394FBBA601F18485

Finally back home after an extended stay at my in-laws, with their vastly superior KSP-playing box. Trying to think about what all was accomplished...

The Vulture flight to refuel Munport was a relative success; she delivered her payload, flew back to New Horizons to offload her excess fuel and then landed successfully at the KSC Runway. The actual landing was rough - one I probably wouldn't have been able to pull out on my home box, but was able to do at my in-laws. The mission did leave New Horizons a bit short on fuel so I launched another Vulture mission to refuel the station. Turned out to be a good thing I did that...

See, because shortly after the Vulture arrived at Mun, my Mun Buggy finally arrived at the Minmusport space station. Jeb and the crew of Free Bird 7, docked to the station at the time, transferred to the Buggy for a ground science excursion and flag-planting mission. That went off without a hitch; the Buggy returned to Minmusport, the science collected was processed in the lab (bringing the station's data buffer to full) and then loaded aboard Free Bird for the journey back to Kerbin. Owing to the presence of Lagercie and Albert (a pair of tourists) aboard Minmusport in need of transport back to Kerbin, Kacella was left on the station with Diissa and Bob (who were running the science lab). Thus prepared, Free Bird made the trek back to Kerbin. Free Bird's aerobreaking went well, but she ran out of gas after making a stable circularization burn around Kerbin while aligning planes for docking at New Horizons (I've long ago decided to keep Free Bird in space until I can get the opportunity to swap out the craft's landing gears for ones that are more substantial, so the crew was headed back there to swap for an updated Raven 7 design for the re-entry). Fortunately, I had that Vulture up to resupply the station; change of mission - the Vulture was sent to re-supply Free Bird instead. The resupply went well and Free Bird finally made it back to New Horizons, transferred the crew and science to the waiting Raven, and landed successfully back at KSC. Made a tonne of bux for the varying missions - two of the returning Free Bird crew were Minmus rescue contracts worth about √450,000 between them (plus they came back after having orbited Kerbin and planted flags on Minmus - two new crewmen automatically at two stars upon their return). The money and science earned allowed me to finally unlock Mk3 parts and upgrade the R&D facility to Level 3, while leaving me with around √650000. Another √800k will give me a fully upgraded KSC facility...

Meanwhile, that Vulture is still in orbit - she burned up her remaining fuel trying to deorbit. Forgot to re-set its control point to its probe core after docking. So, facepalm there.

Also was able to combine a Kerbin rescue and tourist contract for √60k between them; the landing didn't go smoothly. Insufficient chutes and landing in the mountains west of KSC. Lost most of the craft, so the profit margin was not as high as I'd hoped for those two missions. Still, √10k is better than nothing.

I've still got a crew en route to Minmus due to arrive soon for flag planting; they'll haul everybody still at Minmus back home with them. Got plans to send three crew members to Mun to plant flags as well; I've got a new tourist contract to Minmus at this point, and long term plans to send most of the KSC staff on a trip into Kerbol's orbit to get them their respective three-star ratings. I'm thinking of updating the Vulture design for that one; it really is a pretty solid design overall.

I finally gave the visual enhancements mod a shot... Have to say I rather like the clouds, so does Val (after she had to bail on her plane).

screenshot30_zpstq0rzbdu.png

Though I am a little disturbed that she didn't seem to enjoy having her chute deploy...

screenshot34_zpshnp8lemd.png

And in other news, Bill, Bob, and Jeb crashed... Again. Bill never seemed so happy to see the ground..

screenshot18_zpswfrkeagb.png

I built a strange plane.

mutka_1.jpeg

mutka_2.jpeg

It actually behaved better than half of my serious planes.

Edit: Department of Silly Planes also produced a passenger spaceplane.

passenger_plane_1.jpeg

In addition to the standard economy class cabin, the plane also has two first class seats.

passenger_plane_2.jpeg

Edited by Jouni

After a long (LONG) sojourn through the wonderful world of GTA, I've started returning to KSP.

Finally built my first two post-1.0 SSTO spaceplanes.

The first is a Mk2, using 4 Turbojets and 2 "Swivels" to carry 2 crew and up to 8 tourists to LKO. I call it the "Luxor"

The second is a Mk3 (and the first successful Mk3 SSTO I've ever made), using something like 16 Turbojets, 1 "Skipper," and 4 "Swivels" to carry 4 crew and up to 32 tourists to LKO. I call it "El Gigante"

For a while, the Mk3 had two SRBs strapped to the side for a little extra boost between LF and LFO phases, but it ended up working better without them. And cheaper, too.

No pics yet, but maybe soon.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Do I spy a Correllian Corvette?

I can see where you might get that, but actually the design is loosly based on the Battle Cruiser from StarCraft. And yes it is designed to do the grand tour.

WK4Ctd4.jpg

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Does the sharp-edged back end not get penalised by nuAero? IIRC, it'll have less drag if you use an adapter down to 2.5m, then a 4x1.25 off that :)

I'm sure it does, but like i said, the design is a work-in-progress. :) I'm just jazzed I got it to work at all.

I killed my first Kerbal! :(

This!

My WIERD (Wildly Inefficient and expensive rocket development) Science division lost 5 of it's rising stars today when Lemley Kerman, until recently best known as the unluckiest Kerbal alive, accidentally dropped his packed lunch onto the emergency chute deploy button whilst the re-entry capsule carrying himself and four of his fellow Kerbals was still in the upper atmosphere.

Once the smudges left behind by the 5 brave Kerbonauts (Lemley, Suke, Theodrin, Edgun and Heidi) are identified then the few remaining atoms will be returned to the families involved in the hope that they will be used to discourage further applicants to the program, until such time as there is a greater than 3% chance of survival at launch.